Mission Control App - Turbo Vado Solution Now Available

Milkyfilkins

I bought a Turbo Vado 4.0 at the end of Feb 2018, like many of you I had hoped to use the Mission Control App but have been disappointed. I emailed rider support at Specialized many times over the past year about the issue. Well as of Friday I now have a Turbo Vado that works with Mission Control.

Rider Support Contacted me on 13th Feb with the following message:

I just want to make you aware that we now have an option for riders who wish to use the Mission Control app. This comes in the form of a replacement main cable and head unit which can be supplied at no charge to yourself through your local Specialized retailer. This is something that they will need to install and set up for you so if you book a spot in their workshop they will be able to arrange the replacement part for you.

I asked if there were part numbers for the cable and head unit and was told:

The whole kits falls under one part number so it will be easy for the store to track down, all they will need to do is give us a call and we will be able to help out. The kit is known as the "TCD-W". “

The part was available in the UK as of last week, w/c 17th Feb.

The new computer now gives a bit more functionality than the old one but doesn’t have as bright a backlit display, it is also not a removeable unit. The main thing is that it now works with Mission Control. You can adjust the power of the eco, sport and turbo modes, you can track rides, check health of the battery etc all from your phone.

Hopefully that is good news for all of you waiting to see if this was ever going to be resolved.

Last edited:
Nice to know the Mission Control App has a fix. I have a Vado 6.0 which I totally love. I’m hesitant to get the app fix just in case there are more issues. This bike is an incredible machine and I don’t want to risk anything. Will keep watching the posts. Big thanks to all.

Thanks Milkyfilkins. My TCD-W kit is on the way. My little tragedy. A few months ago i changed blocks screen (broke). I payed 120 eur +-. Damn :)

Just to let you know. Talked to LBS today and was told that two TCD-W kit had arrived. So saturday i will hand over my Vado 4.0 and Como 5.0 to get the service done. Happy me!!

Just to let you know. Talked to LBS today and was told that two TCD-W kit had arrived. So saturday i will hand over my Vado 4.0 and Como 5.0 to get the service done. Happy me!!

I like the display much better then the BLOKS display. Plus the mission control APP works!

Ridercare emailed me to let me know this revision is available for my new Como 5.0. And I'd been waiting to hear feedback from someone who has had this done and how things work. Any downsides to the fix or is this definitely the way to go? Thanks.

Ridercare emailed me to let me know this revision is available for my new Como 5.0. And I'd been waiting to hear feedback from someone who has had this done and how things work. Any downsides to the fix or is this definitely the way to go? Thanks.

No downsides as far as I can tell...I would definitely have it upgraded

I contacted my local Specialized shop to ask if they would upgrade my Vado 3 and my wife's Komo 2. After admitting they were vaguely aware of the upgrade, they said they could do it if they could get the kits but they were in very short supply.
When it came to my Vado they said I'd probably have to pay for it as I'd bought the bike second hand and I wasn't the original owner.
Surely this upgrade pertains to the bike and not who owns it?

Maybe try an email directly to Specialized since that whole Mission Control App was such a disaster. I would think they would be willing update your bike. Perhaps a different bike Specialized dealer? Post what you find out. My Vado is still under warranty but as a former software tester I’ve learned to never use the first version of software. Will keep watching the forums.

Maybe try an email directly to Specialized since that whole Mission Control App was such a disaster. I would think they would be willing update your bike. Perhaps a different bike Specialized dealer? Post what you find out. My Vado is still under warranty but as a former software tester I’ve learned to never use the first version of software. Will keep watching the forums.
Good suggestion, will try direct to Specialized thanks

I did that for my Turbo Como 3.0 and they sent a new computer and wiring to my dealer and had it installed and the Mission Control app does now work with my bike. I guess the Bloks software was never going to be compatible.

Could someone please upload a photo of the new display after it has been installed, perhaps showing the active screen? Thanks.

I asked my LBS to contact Specialized to procure the TCD-W kit for my 2019 Como 5.0. Specialized told my LBS that this free revision is only for specific models from 2017 and 2018 that were originally advertised as being compatible with Mission Control. My Como 5.0 was produced last Fall and sold in November 2018 which is apparently too late to be eligible for this free revision. Moreover, I'm told that the current TCD-W kit does not work for the Como 5.0, only Como 2.0 and Como 3.0. I understand they hope to offer an upgrade for Como 5.0 but don't know when it will be available or for what price.

Not exactly the news I was hoping to hear.

@Unique, if you get a different experience regarding your Como 5.0, please let us know.

@gadgetnut - I'm not familiar with the Como 5, but you should call Specialized directly (1-877-808-8154) to confirm what your LBS told you. You might get a different answer.

I asked my LBS to contact Specialized to procure the TCD-W kit for my 2019 Como 5.0. Specialized told my LBS that this free revision is only for specific models from 2017 and 2018 that were originally advertised as being compatible with Mission Control. My Como 5.0 was produced last Fall and sold in November 2018 which is apparently too late to be eligible for this free revision. Moreover, I'm told that the current TCD-W kit does not work for the Como 5.0, only Como 2.0 and Como 3.0. I understand they hope to offer an upgrade for Como 5.0 but don't know when it will be available or for what price.

Not exactly the news I was hoping to hear.

@Unique, if you get a different experience regarding your Como 5.0, please let us know.
Hi. I have both a VADO 4.0 and a COMO 5.0. As far as I can tell there is no difference between the two except frame design. Both are in LBS right now for update with TCD-W kit. I will have them back friday at the latest and will let you know how it works.

Still waiting for the LBS to finish the job. They tell me that they have problems with upgrading the software on the battery.

Still watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for the update, @Unique, hope your update completes successfully soon. Further question, you have a Como 5.0, which is a relatively new model, I believe. Do you mind if I ask when you purchased and if your upgrade is being provided at no additional cost to you? I bought my Como 5.0 in November 2018, and I received feedback that my purchase might too late to be eligible for no cost upgrade since by that time they had changed the website and were no longer advertising Como compatibility with Mission Control, etc.

Back