Mid or Rear Drive for Touring?

AndersM

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea of the pros and cons of mid and rear drive for longer bike trips? Does any of them perform better when carrying some weight?

I have a Easy Motion Neo Cross that I have done some longer trips on that performed good, but I'm considering switching for a Bosch or Impulse mid drive to make it easier to carry a spare battery among other things.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on touring with different motor systems?

Thanks!

- Anders

My uneducated opinion is that mid-drives offer precision assistance and are greatly influenced by gearing. As a result they appear to offer less torque off the line and are slower to speed, but offer significantly more pulling power at slower speeds and hence are much better for hill climbing. The other advantage to mid-drives is that do to their gear dependency they tend to be more efficient (use less energy) than hubs and have better mileage. This is, of course, also a function of battery size. They also have decidedly different feels to them. Hubs feel more powerful off the line in any gear and seem to get up to speed more quickly with less pedaling effort. Mid drives seem to arrive a bit slower to speed but have considerable yank when the road grade increases. Mid drives offer easier tire changes which is also a consideration when on a longer trip.

Have I totally confused you. Unconfuse yourself and go test ride the mid drives..............

Heh, heh @86 and still kicking and @AndersM , its more likely that each brand of mid drive has its own flavor of performance and I will gracefully disagree with the idea that middrives can be slow from the start. Some have a tiny lag for the gear adjustment, but in no way does that affect torque. At least that has been my experience with the Haibikes I've ridden and the TransX powered Izip Peak middrives. Given that you may be hauling a lot of weight for a longer tour or ride, think of the weight distribution with a motor and maybe the battery in the middle along with your racks & bags on the back. Better handling & performance (ebike or not) with the weight not all on the rear wheel. Without knowing how long of a ride you plan, its hard to dismiss hub motors. There are hub motor conversion kits with internal gearing that are real stump pullers from Electric Rider in San Angelo TX along with the much touted Bafang BBSo2 middrive system that might both be good options depending upon your needs.

If you go mid drive bosch there is not throttle. If you go BH throttle is available. I have a Bosch and BH bike and find the Bosch wants more user effort and is very sensitive to effort. The BH is more generous with assist. The Bosch seems more powerful going up step hills , I weight around 175 ish. There has not been an incline that the Bosch has tackled that the BH could not do as well in my riding. You feel more in control on the Bosch which is great for a MTN bike.

The greatest difference to me is lack of throttle, better handling with the mid drive due to weight placement, superior Bosch head unit. The Bosch is also louder. It is hard for me to compare the ranges at this point. I guess if there was someone with a BH Cross and a Haibike Trek that would be more telling.

Thanks for the replies! All good input.
Good points on weight distribution with rack and bags over the rear wheel. Throttle it is not allowed in Norway, so that is not an issue for me since the BH bikes are sold without.
I will see if I can find any Bosch or Impulse mid drives to test out.

Thanks!

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea of the pros and cons of mid and rear drive for longer bike trips?

You'll appreciate the mid drive when you have your 1st flat tire on the hub drive wheel. I have bikes with both drive systems. Had to fix a flat on my Neo Carbon rear wheel, fortunately it was done at home with all the required tools. Wouldn't want to do it on the road.

Court J.

Back