Poll question: What would you do differently to suit your riding preferences?

• Place a bottle top on the battery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a flat bar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
This is a Marin Bikes Stinson 2 that has been converted with a 500W torque sensing cargo motor and a premium 48V battery. The top gearing is 46-11 with an 11-47 cassette. It is getting a rack, panniers, and fenders as a commuter bike. It does 29 on the flats. Poll question: What would you do differently to suit your riding preferences?
1693098610859.jpeg

Nice wide range gearing. 👍 For my "something else", I would add fenders and a back rack.

Nice wide range gearing. 👍 For my "something else", I would add fenders and a back rack.
I want to add contoured Bontrager comfort grips and a Boulevard saddle along with the German fenders, the rack and panniers. It has mechanical brakes with no compression housing and highly polished stainless premium cable coated with gun oil. The pull to lock is 1/4 inch. It totally skids at lockup. Adjustment is easy, no vapor lock ever, or messy bleeds.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the SUV bike idea for long miles on our crappy Texas roads, but I like variety too. I could think of a lot of uses for a bike like this.

How does it climb steep hills?

In terms of design this is an A+. I love how clean everything is, the cable management, the "hidden in plain" sight water bottle battery. Would love to hear how you built it.

That’s a good looking bike and looks super light and quick. I wouldn’t change a thing and would ride that for my commute all day long. I don’t care for fenders and just wear a backpack. Does the water bottle battery come off to charge or do you plug in to the bike?

@JGcycle, It is a 9-speed with the overall range of an 11-speed. Because it is nine, it is 22% more robust. It is much less expensive to maintain. The cassette is 11-47 teeth.

@AvalancheRun, It is a very strong climber. This setup 'likes' high cadence. Like a sports car, down shift and rev to accelerate, then up shift. I like the external battery. In five years I can replace the battery with whatever I want and won't be stuck with something that is expensive, proprietary, and not supported. Because the motor does not have a proprietary mounting system, in ten years I can also replace it with any motor I want. It took drilling to run the rear cables over the bottom bracket, so they wouldn't get crushed by the motor. It also took soldering little wires inside the motor after chopping off connectors. I removed speed limiters and drilled the motor housing to run the display and sealed that hole with gasket maker. Three people just tested it with runs up a five-story parking garage. For one avid cyclist, there is no going back. The fenders went on this morning and the rack goes on this afternoon.

@scottsdalecommuter, I like a rack so that I can do things like shopping and still keep the center of gravity low for handling. Also, as a commuter bike panniers won't wrinkle your shirt before work. It needs lights. I have some picked out. These are German SKS fenders. They are very lightweight and come with anti-rattle bushing. I had to stack bushings to get around the front caliper.

1693163176212.jpeg

As a commuter, my bike requires fenders. Those look very nice.

The bottle battery looks a bit bare. Have you ever thought about getting a Cricut machine to cut your own decals? There are so many uses. I made shirts for my wife and her friend when they went to a concert. I make stickers for the kids too. Recently, I found a surplus of reflective orange vinyl. I made some decals for myself. :)

IMG_3368.jpeg

One more question: how many Wh is the battery?
That battery holder can take either a 48V 7Ah or a 48V 10.5Ah, depending on that day's ride. If you want to ride until your butt gets numb and falls off, take both. The 7 is 336Wh the 10.5 is 504. These are premium cells with a super premium BMS chip and the motor is highly efficient. I normally take the smallest battery I can get away with. My town is four square miles and it takes 15 minutes or less by bike to get anywhere. The hills to the West are nice leading to the sea but I don't often ride just for recreation unless it is a group ride. Oh, here is that bike's little sister. It has an 11-50 tooth cassette, 42-t chainring, and a 90Nm motor.

1693167947785.jpeg

Attachments

• Stinson 2 S-Through A.jpg
    Stinson 2 S-Through A.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Stinson 2 S-Through B.jpg
    Stinson 2 S-Through B.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 96
I make stickers
I would buy stickers from you. They look so good on a battery!!! This one has a water bottle nipple attached with gasket maker. Do you use PayPal? How much for a dozen in an envelope to California? I love it.

Attachments

• BattNeye2.JPG
    BattNeye2.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 99
This link will blow your mind. Sit down and have a pillow under your chin for when your jaw drops to the floor.

@AvalancheRun If you want to know about me go to google maps and search PedalUma eBikes. Then read five reviews at random.

Gentlemen, you're two sides of the same coin, pursuing different paths but sharing a profound advocacy for cycling. You both contribute an extraordinary amount to the community here, and many of us are very grateful for these contributions. Don't let the 1% of difference wash away the 99% of commonality.

Gentlemen, you're two sides of the same coin, pursuing different paths but sharing a profound advocacy for cycling. You both contribute an extraordinary amount to the community here, and many of us are very grateful for these contributions. Don't let the 1% of difference wash away the 99% of commonality.
I wouldn't have minded if Uma weren't littering virtually any thread (especially in the Specialized forum) with his contraptions since he joined the Forums. Look up his posts.

As he said himself, he "smokes Vados". Here, our man takes a ready bike, slaps the battery, motor, and controller onto an innocent and beautiful bicycle, and says he "makes e-bikes". No, he creates powerful and dangerous vehicles from bicycles that have never been designed as e-bikes. He asks whether he should add hydro brakes. A joke? V-brakes on a powerful electrified bicycle?

Who makes e-bikes? Ravi with his Zen. Watts Wagons. Not Uma. Let him do it but he should financially contribute to EBR as other LBS or e-bike makers. Maintain his own paid subforum.

And no Paul. Uma would never be the other side of my coin. He even was trying to spam me on the PM.

Last edited:
I am not a paid spokes model for a major corporation. Their selling points are that they have networked whizzbangs that go bing, instead of economical performance. Anyone can make better bikes than theirs. If I can, you can. That is democratic and empowering. Yes, my bikes 'smoke' that is blow past, wimpy, overpriced bikes. Your bike can too. We have better alternatives and do not need to be beholden to large corporate interests with built-in planned obsolescence without the Right To Repair. I have helped hundreds of people on EBR to diagnose and repair their bikes, for free. The paid spokes model never did that. He just does Advertising for a large brand and posts photos of Himself - a parasite who does not contribute to the community and empower others, yet brags about a 15 mph bike.

Anyone can make better bikes than theirs.
You did not design or build the Marin bike. Marin makes e-bikes, too, and these do not look like the Stinson. Ever wondered why?

You maimed the Stinson, making it a potential danger to the rider and people around him. Do you have a good lawyer in the case a disaster strikes?

Back