Making Portable Solar Charger for E-Bike

Bekjan

Hello,

I started looking for the possibility of charging the battery from the solar battery on 09/30/2019.

At the moment, I have intermediate test results for various solar cells.
On the test there were the classic cells (very very fragile, contact tracks on the front side) monocrystall and polycrystall and defective cells from Sunpower Maxeon C60 monocrystal.

Cell selection criteria were:
1) convenience of soldering cell contacts
2) mechanical strength, requirements for the substrate material
3) power output

Classic cells did not pass by the first two criteria - the contacts are very poorly soldered, there are many dirty traces on the surface.
Also, the cells are very fragile, it is impossible to clean the surface without the risk of damage. A stiff backing is required.

By all criteria, the Sunpower Maxeon C60 cell passed.

Moreover, tests showed that even damaged cells (diagonal kinks) and under laminating film are able to generate 60-100% - same output power on light load, less output power for high load like 'Short Circuit'.
It's totally crazy on the background of classic fragile cells!

On these Sunpower Maxeon C60 cells I will build the solar panels.

Decided on the format of the battery - two sheets of size A3, 6 cells per sheet.
Rated voltage 6V under load.

Thus, I will build a minimum of 4 batteries with a nominal voltage of 24V.
Charging will be through a boost converter.
I also want to try to charge the battery by reconnecting the parallels via tp4056 modules or directly to the solar panels (connected in parallel).

The goal is not to charge 100% 4.2V, but at least up to 4.0-4.1V, which is very very good in conditions of remoteness from civilization.

Now tested options for protecting cells from the environment by lamination and epoxy.
A noticeable drop in power due to the material was not noticed.

The path through the lamination is more than attractive due to its simplicity and low weight, unlike epoxy resin.
I printed out the contours of cells in the form of 2x3 on a sheet of paper A3. The distance between the row of cells and the edges is at least 1 cm for better welding of the lamination film.
Next, you have to choose the substrate material. Of the available options, this is plexiglass 1 mm thick and textolite 0.5 mm thick.
Both materials are good, but I think under high temperature in the summer the textolite will be more hardy.

Project current status - waiting for a batch of non-defective cells of 50pcs Sunpower Maxeon C60.

I will be glad to comment on this project, which could help in the future.

--

Text was translated from ru via translate.google.com
My original source https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=60003.0

Last edited:
52 days later...
Got a parcel with cells from SunPower, tried to laminate. I refused the lamination due to the instability of receiving protected cells.

I switched to acrylic with a thickness of 2 mm as the front surface. The back side of the solar battery (SB) was glued with ordinary adhesive tape and over all 5mm thick foam, which is used under the floor laminate.

Already have build 3 panels of 12 cells each.
u8za36.jpeg14hwweh.jpeg

Originally planned 1 panel - 1 SB. But tests showed that the difference between the SB of 12 and 9 cells is small.

Example:

I installed the SB at an angle of about 50 °
1mgsp77.jpeg
SB 12 cells - idle voltage is 8.248V
1ej0v1y.jpeg

SB 9 cells - idle voltage is 6.176V
141cqf5.jpeg

I connect 12 cells to charge the battery 12S 3.6V - charging current 4.76A
1bmj5rb.jpeg

I connect 9 cells to charge the battery 12S 3.6V - charging current 4.68A
1b3ulw8.jpeg

Picked up the solar panel and looked for the best angle to get the most power:
12 cells 6.12A
9 cells 6.00A
So the difference was a miserable 2%!!! 😆
Thus, a small difference in current is maintained at least in bright weather and bright white-milky-cloudy weather.
It’s necessary to check how it will be with the haze.

In the meantime, the calculation is such that a 9-cell solar battery is more profitable on the same 4 panels in each of 12 cells:
From 48 solar cells i can build 4SB (12 cells each, 8V), total charging current ~ 6.12A * 4SB = 24.48A
From 45 solar cells i can build 5SB ( 9 cells each, 6V), total charging current ~ 6.00A * 5SB = 30A
Profit + 5.52A simply by reconnecting to a 9-cell circuit! ;)

In any case, it remains possible to connect all solar panels in series, to connect a dc-dc boost converter to a voltage of 54V.
It will be necessary to check the charging power and stability from the lighting conditions.

The current status of the project - 2 solar panels have been built, 3rd on the way - the wires have run out.
In a pandemic, there is nowhere to buy materials.
Waiting for the end of the war with covid-2019

To be continued...

Last edited:
Here is a posting that I did last year regarding my installation of a 200 Watt panel system. These parts were all available from Amazon and I have used this setup to totally charge my Tern Si8 converted E-bike for the last year.

I am not sure what you mean by portable??? Do you want this installed as you are riding? Why carry the extra weight? Or do you want to be able to move this setup around? Mine is mounted on my residence's roof and is facing south. Easy setup for me and I also have it available to charge my iPads and phones. It can also be used to power my LED lamps, internet router and TV for up to 10 hrs.

OK Guys,

For those who are thinking about building a solar charging station for their EV bikes. Here are the parts that I have used to accomplish this task. First off, I am not endorsing any particular manufacturer or brand but just listing what I use. All these items I purchased from Amazon and did all the installation by following the wiring diagrams that were supplied by the solar panel supplier.

My EV battery 36 V 14 Ah was fully charged within 4 hours and the draw on the system was 7 to 8 amps with 100 Watts real time data as indicated by the electricity usage monitor that was installed as well (optional item).

• 2 x Renoy 100 Watt polycrystalline solar panels
  • 2 x 12 V Go Cart Deep Cell batteries (best to get these types because they are built to take charging and discharging – beefer cells
  • 12 Volt 1000 watt power inverter (Aukey brand and you can get a USB charging port as well
  • Panel mounting hardware for roof top installations – 2 sets of brackets for 2 panels (4 brackets/set):
https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Solar-...anel+brackets&qid=1561578612&s=gateway&sr=8-3

• 4 in 1 Electricity usage monitor DC 6.5 – 100A:
https://www.amazon.ca/Electricity-M...icity+monitor&qid=1561578731&s=gateway&sr=8-4
  • Auto circuit Breaker Reset fuse:

OK that’s all the basic parts not included are the items such as the inside plug, 20 ft of copper wiring and a second trip fuse on the battery side of the setup.

I am not sure what you mean by portable???
Portable - small size of solar panel. In your variant the solar panel "Renoy 100W 12V" has sizes 47.3 X 21.3 X 1.4 inches it's huge!
Such panels have a roof space for stationary use. Well, or like a roof on a liegerad .
But this is not my case.

My portable solar panel in transport mode has a size of 43 * 29 * 1 cm or 16.9 * 11.4 * 0.78 inches
In use mode, the panel size is 43 * 58 *1 cm or 16.9 * 22.8 * 0.78 inches

I plan to make 4 panels of such panels, then the dimensions in the transport mode will increase to 43 * 29 * 8cm or 16.9 * 11.4 * 3.15 inches
Such a panel can be easily carried in a backpack or on the trunk of a bicycle.
I hope it is clear why I call such panels portable?

• 2 x 12 V Go Cart Deep Cell batteries (best to get these types because they are built to take charging and discharging – beefer cells
  • 12 Volt 1000 watt power inverter (Aukey brand and you can get a USB charging port as well
Now about your 2x12V batteries as a charging buffer and another devices.
My e-bike weighs about 32 kg, where 16 kg is a mountain bike, about 5 kg is a motor with a controller, 11 kg is a 13S12P 31Ah battery.
Thus, to carry with me more batteries for the charging buffer does not suit me.

I want to use such a model https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041641691.html

But with pandemic situation all these is under threat of cancelling in this year :(

Back