Magura MT5 Pads

nashdm2

Guys, on the MT5 there are two different types of pads that can go in the calliper. There are the pads that are joined together in two pieces and go up into the calliper. They have lugs which locate at the top. Then there are the ones that are in four pieces and go in from the top and held in place by a retaining pin. The two piece pads require the wheel or caliper off to change and the four piece simply slot in the top after the retaining pin is removed.

On the magura website they are designated as a 9 or an 8. I have written to Magura to ask why, but, does anybody on here know why please?

Thanks, Dave

I just replaced the pads (front and rear) on my superdelite. The front brakes (MT5) came with the 2 piece pads (joined together). My understanding from the Magura site is that the 2 piece pads are designated as "9" with Performance or Comfort. The "8" refers to the single pads (i.e., need to use the retaining pin). Very simple to remove the wheel and replace the pads.

Thanks for the reply. I wrote to Magura and did not get a reply. So, its still a mystery. Apart from the different materials the brakes are made of, why have two different types of brake pads? There must be a reason.

I am not sure other than the connected pads are really easy to replace since you do not need to use a retaining screw

Thats strange as I find the non connected type easier as you do not need to remove the wheel or caliper to remove.

It's for weight savings - 8 series pads are considered a higher performance option than the 9 series.

It's worth noting that regardless of which pad format you choose, you will have to either remove the wheel or the caliper to reset the pistons before replacing them and readjust the brake after. I personally find the 8 series easier to replace as they lack the "hooks" of the 9 series pads.

Back