Magura front brake shudder

Deacon Blues

I'm noticing an odd shudder and a clatter-like sound from the front Magura brake on both my UC Pro and my Hydra when braking semi hard. It's VERY noticeable when braking hard.
Anyone else have this happening with their WW bikes equipped with Magura brakes?

Yes, mine do it too. I've read it doesn't happen with the single piece pads. The downside with those is you have to remove the caliper to change them.

On a related note, I've eliminated squealing under light pressure with organic pads from Jagwire. They definitely have a softer feel but can still lock up the wheels under any condition. I would avoid them for big mountain descents, though.

@Decon Blues, Two ideas. Check for rotor true and clean the pads. It helps to put down a white piece of paper to check for true. Spin the wheel with a rubber band slightly causing lever pressure and listen and look between the pads for side to side movement. Third idea, make sure all is tight. Acetone and Isopropyl will clean varnish residue that has cooked onto the pads. I hope this helps.

TDA78 & PedalUma, thanks for the replies.
On my Hydra there is a bit of rotor rub, but it's very slight. With my UC Pro there is zero rotor rub. Both front brakes work fine under light pressure, but under higher pressure both brakes vibrate like the calipers are loose, but they're not.
It almost feels like the pads are sticking to the rotor, then releasing enough for the rotor to turn a bit, then sticks again.
It feels like I have ABS brakes.....heavy pulsing under hard braking.

I got that on my maguras when I went to metallic pads and they got wet. then it never stopped. I had to go back to regular pads. when Changed to Shimano calipers the meal pads were fine on those rotors.

The Magura-branded single-piece pads for MT5/7 calipers are the 9-series; 9.P black or 9.C blue are available (no 9.S green version or 9.R gold)

Northwest Bikes carries SwissStop and Kool-stop pads for Magura brakes and I'm sure if you flip through the pages without the search you can find the single-piece Jagwire ones as well

Here is the chart for how the pad compounds compare, and a link to compound description (gold - race, grey performance, blue comfort, green s-pedelec)

1663911387700.png

another noise troubleshooting page: https://www.magura.com/en/components/techcenter/faq-eliminating-noises/ and bedding in procedure

Had pretty bad chatter on my Hydra with generic brakes where you can see the bottom of the shock vibrate when braking. Resolved after changing pads

Just one splashed drop of oil from a puddle or a smudge of sap will do this. It is easier to swap pads than to clean them with acetone. This effect is similar to rosin on a violin bow. It makes for a stick/slip vibration. Rosin is just refined pine sap. But it is still a half year until April First.
1663944344272.jpeg
1663944418337.jpeg

I'll try these pads next to address shuddering under heavy braking and squealing under light braking. Might even be able to change them without removing the caliper.

Even the Magura Sport pads squeal under light braking as they are still semi-metallic. And yes, they are degreased and bedded in.

Last edited:
I also experienced this with my first two rides on my Hydra this week. Would love to hear about success stories resolving this issue.

Pads are in, but it will be a couple of days until I can take the Hydra out for a ride. I'm taking the UC Pro for a 70+ km ride tomorrow and this old body will need at least a day's rest between rides. :confused:
One of the drawbacks to getting old......

Replacing the pads on the Hydra was.....interesting. If I'm honest, it took me a while to figure out how to get the old pads out. More complicated that pulling Shimano pads.
If these pads solve my shuddering problem I'll swap out the pads on my UC Pro. The swap should go a lot faster the second time. ;)

I took a ride out over the weekend and bedded my 8.S Magura pads in - at least I think I did them right. Finding enough of a flat stretch around here to get 30kmh then stop isn't easy to do once let alone 30 times... so I opted for riding to the top of my neighborhood and going down, probably all in all a 550-600 foot descent over a mile or so with two relatively flat stretches. My tires are 30" tall and the bike picked up speed crazy fast down 15% grade - so I was able to get the rotors nice and toasty - though I'm unsure what the optimum temperature is... I don't think I noticed any squealing or chattering from the brake pads over my ride which got quite dusty, though about halfway on the return trip my motor got a little loud at certain speeds for a while. Here's what my rotors looked like halfway through the ride - I took more opportunity on the downhill back to get on them some more but more or less they look about the same - smooth as glass and I have to be careful with how hard I hit the brake lever - so I'm assuming they transferred pad material properly. I still get a little bit of rub from them from the rotors not being perfectly true to the 0.01mm but already greatly improved after just the one ride.
1665456479175.png

about needing recovery time after a ride... I think my saddle was too far back and I was over too skinny of a section, I'm feeling pretty tender from it and all I want to do is go ride some more! If it weren't for the smoke...

Yes, mine do it too. I've read it doesn't happen with the single piece pads. The downside with those is you have to remove the caliper to change them.

On a related note, I've eliminated squealing under light pressure with organic pads from Jagwire. They definitely have a softer feel but can still lock up the wheels under any condition. I would avoid them for big mountain descents, though.
Just an FYI if anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, you don't actually have to remove the caliper to swap the 1 piece pads, you just need to remove the wheel and push the pistons in a bit with a (clean) plastic tire iron.

My front Magura brakes make a shuddering noise (but the power is consistent) on both my Hydra and my regular mountain bike (SC Bronson) with Storm HC rotors. I use two piece MTX HD gold pads on my Hydra and Magura 9P pads on the Bronson. I was having massive issues with HORRIBLE brake squeal on my Bronson after installing some MT7s. I found that the Storm HC lightweight rotors resonate really badly with two piece pads, but they're fine with the one piece Magura 9P pads.

Just an FYI if anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, you don't actually have to remove the caliper to swap the 1 piece pads, you just need to remove the wheel and push the pistons in a bit with a (clean) plastic tire iron.
Good call. That's definitely the better way to do it without having to realign the caliper.

Back