Magnum 2019 vs 2018 Premium bike

Mrndly

Does anyone know what changes there are in the 2019 models? I am considering a Premium stepthru but should I wait for a 2019?

Having watched the interbike 2018 video on YouTube in which Magnum addressed all sorts of new things I contacted them because I was shopping for a cruiser. In the video they said the 2019s would have a 750 watt motor whereas current models are 500. Well they were sort of nebulous and vague about what changes are actually going to take place. And if you watch the 2017 interbike video at the things that they were featuring there's a lot that never appeared in the 2018 lineup.
All that to say I I bought the currently available 2018 model.
if they had said sure in 45 days will have a new model out with a 750 watt motor I probably would have waited but since nothing is certain I didn't want to delay my enjoyment and the truth of the matter is I don't think I would know the difference at least not for the kind of riding I do :)

Having watched the interbike 2018 video on YouTube in which Magnum addressed all sorts of new things I contacted them because I was shopping for a cruiser. In the video they said the 2019s would have a 750 watt motor whereas current models are 500. Well they were sort of nebulous and vague about what changes are actually going to take place. And if you watch the 2017 interbike video at the things that they were featuring there's a lot that never appeared in the 2018 lineup.
All that to say I I bought the currently available 2018 model.
if they had said sure in 45 days will have a new model out with a 750 watt motor I probably would have waited but since nothing is certain I didn't want to delay my enjoyment and the truth of the matter is I don't think I would know the difference at least not for the kind of riding I do :)
Thanks for the feedback - we took the plunge and ordered 2 Premium 48’s from a local bike shop. Very excited to get them.

hello so depending where you are the 2019 model is available. for sure in Canada as i just received a shipment the differences are the throttle has been changed out to a newer style trigger throttle and the batteries are now 16AH capacity

hello so depending where you are the 2019 model is available. for sure in Canada as i just received a shipment the differences are the throttle has been changed out to a newer style trigger throttle and the batteries are now 16AH capacity
I am in the United States and we just had our bike shop place an order - so it will be interesting to see if we get a 2018 or 2019. You answered my other question on how would we know which year model we got.

Is the Magnum Ranger for sale? I saw this model on an Interbike You Tube video. I don't see the Ranger on the Magnum website.

Is the Magnum Ranger for sale? I saw this model on an Interbike You Tube video. I don't see the Ranger on the Magnum website.

It may not be available like the others introduced at Interbike. ie: Navigator, Voyager, etc. I have lost interest in Magnum for that very reason IMO.

That's a shame if they don't sell that Ranger. It looked like a nice concept. Pedal forward with fat tires. I haven't found a company that makes an ebike like that.

I would love to hear from folks who have the Premium 48 , what kind of wear and tear are you noticing if any, especially due to folding and unfolding. Do the handlebar latches loosen etc

We have 2 of these bikes, they are 14 mos. old now. We have over 1000 mi on the hi-step version, and approx 900 mi. on the lo-step. (We have 2 other bikes each, that we also ride (not electric) so the miles we ride gets split across 3 bikes per person)

These are well made bikes, with few issues. The fenders are a bit fiddly needing attention to keep from rubbing on the nice, fat tires (once done....all good) and the tail lights (Spanninga) arent great, but do work.

The batteries are quite good and we routinely net 50-62 miles per charge, but we typically use PAS level 1 and some thumb throttle. I keep records of battery use and range from day 1.

The charge time is pretty long however...6 hrs or so. Blame the charger not the battery.

The 500 w motors are quite ample, I weigh 215# and have never felt the power is lacking.

In short, we have NO regrets and would buy them again, and feel fortunate that we selected these particular bikes. That said (probably the wrong place to say this...) we've learned that ebikes are neither of our favorite bikes. We (wife and I) both prefer traditional bikes over these! There, I said it. Thats not to say we don’t enjoy the Magnum Premium 48’s...., because we do....just not more so than our traditional bikes.

Re: wear and tear. We are still on the original....everything. Tires included. Folding these ebikes still makes for a clumsy, heavy package so we dont fold them/transport them often...our traditional folders get folded much more frequently and taken on trips. Not a design flaw on Magnums part, just a fact of a larger, heavier ebike vs. a traditional one. Its quite an unwieldly “lump” when folded...just saying. The ride is quite solid and you cant tell youre riding a folder....the hinge is quite sturdy and I forsee no maintenance issues with it.

To sum up: the Magnum Premium 48 brings to its user 1) great, hi-cap batteries 2) trouble free cast wheels 3) super comfy seat and susp post 4) powerful git-up-and go 500w motor 5) good product support...what little of that we’ve needed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
We have 2 of these bikes, they are 14 mos. old now. We have over 1000 mi on the hi-step version, and approx 900 mi. on the lo-step. (We have 2 other bikes each, that we also ride (not electric) so the miles we ride gets split across 3 bikes per person)

These are well made bikes, with few issues. The fenders are a bit fiddly needing attention to keep from rubbing on the nice, fat tires (once done....all good) and the tail lights (Spanninga) arent great, but do work.

The batteries are quite good and we routinely net 50-62 miles per charge, but we typically use PAS level 1 and some thumb throttle. I keep records of battery use and range from day 1.

The charge time is pretty long however...6 hrs or so. Blame the charger not the battery.

The 500 w motors are quite ample, I weigh 215# and have never felt the power is lacking.

In short, we have NO regrets and would buy them again, and feel fortunate that we selected these particular bikes. That said (probably the wrong place to say this...) we've learned that ebikes are neither of our favorite bikes. We (wife and I) both prefer traditional bikes over these! There, I said it. Thats not to say we don’t enjoy the Magnum Premium 48’s...., because we do....just not more so than our traditional bikes.

Re: wear and tear. We are still on the original....everything. Tires included. Folding these ebikes still makes for a clumsy, heavy package so we dont fold them/transport them often...our traditional folders get folded much more frequently and taken on trips. Not a design flaw on Magnums part, just a fact of a larger, heavier ebike vs. a traditional one. Its quite an unwieldly “lump” when folded...just saying. The ride is quite solid and you cant tell youre riding a folder....the hinge is quite sturdy and I forsee no maintenance issues with it.

To sum up: the Magnum Premium 48 brings to its user 1) great, hi-cap batteries 2) trouble free cast wheels 3) super comfy seat and susp post 4) powerful git-up-and go 500w motor 5) good product support...what little of that we’ve needed.

Enjoy!
Thank you for the thorough response - can’t wait to get our bikes.

I should note I have an eighty pound bulldog we like to take with us.

Attachments

• 1A7EEE37-7D35-43F7-9AF2-0D484B2976C5.jpeg
    1A7EEE37-7D35-43F7-9AF2-0D484B2976C5.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 581
Back