2019 giant trance pro plus range

Its really early morning here in nz and I am usually still sleeping but I have a kettlebell class this morning shortly. But I was thinking about my complaint of the price and range. Maybe its not the right tool for what I am trying to do.
The bike is "classed" as enduro and maybe the "right" purpose is short intense rides through the woods trails or some terrain like that where there would be some shorter up hill climbs and then down hill sections.
I didnt think about all this until I found you guys, which I was to say had been great and very enlightening.

restricted to 30kph, if I try to pedal faster it feels like its actually trying to slow you down
Yes, it feels so because you have lost a lot of watts of assistance :)
It looks your e-bike is the American Class 1, 20 mph or 32 km/h restriction. It uses more battery charge than an EUR/AUS 25 km/h e-bike when you are riding it fast.

The bike is "classed" as enduro and maybe the "right" purpose is short intense rides through the woods trails or some terrain like that where there would be some shorter up hill climbs and then down hill sections.
It is actually a Trail e-MTB for technical riding on mountain singletracks. The main function is to let you climb steep rocky trails then ride downhill (possibly unpowered, which increases the range a lot). That's why PDoz who is an MTBer was mentioning the elevation gain not the distance really.

Its really early morning here in nz and I am usually still sleeping but I have a kettlebell class this morning shortly. But I was thinking about my complaint of the price and range. Maybe its not the right tool for what I am trying to do.
I didnt think about all this until I found you guys, which I was to say had been great and very enlightening.

When new, your bike was designed for the mountain bike trails - and there looks to be some lovely trails where you live! Try the app " trailforks" and go ride some of the green loops to see if you enjoy it ?

BUT , there is nothing wrong with retiring a trail bike and using it for gentle touring - you just need to change a few things.

Tyres are cheap - what is on the back ? eg if it's still running the maxis dhr , you'll get the extra 4 km range by fitting a recon or better yet, asking stefan ( I need traction , he needs range ) . If that only gets you 3.95 km, then swap front as well :)

Those wide bars are great for muscling the bike over jumps, but a few minutes with a hacksaw / angle grinder cutting them back to what you are used to will make you more comfortable AND more aerodynamic. Perhaps just adjust everything inwards for a ride before cutting in case you decide to sell the bike?

Or sell the bike whilst you can and buy something appropriate

BTw , my kids use my giant for transport now - there's a 32 km return loop my daughter does , mostly along a rail trail - so gravel but relatively flat. She easilly does it 3 times an the 500 wh battery. Fit 17 yo and Aus 25 k limit on support., but that's an indication why I think something is wrong with your bike

Last edited:
Tyres are cheap - what is on the back ? eg if it's still running the maxis dhr , you'll get the extra 4 km range by fitting a recon or better yet, asking stefan ( I need traction , he needs range ) . If that only gets you 3.95 km, then swap front as well :)
The best tyre replacement for Trance E+ -- "tested in combat" -- we have found is Schwalbe Johnny Watts 365. size 27.5x2.6" (66-584). It is quiet and easy rolling on the pavement but aggressive enough off-road including mud or wet trails. The "365" variant is superior to the regular JW, as the regular JW becomes hard & slippery in temperatures below 10 C and in the wet/muddy conditions.

right, so tyres, sorry I was busy all day yesterday
this is the rear that I am told came with the bike
1696970167785.jpg

This is the front, its new because I had a blow out, thats another interesting story lol
but I have 2 of the below but I only replaced one because the rear still seemed to have some tread left

1696970127547.jpg

Well, if you want to save on the tyres... :) The advice was to replace them so you could save some Watts and ride quieter on the pavement :)

right, so tyres, sorry I was busy all day yesterday
this is the rear that I am told came with the bike

This is the front, its new because I had a blow out, thats another interesting story lol
but I have 2 of the below but I only replaced one because the rear still seemed to have some tread left

They're both reasonably fast running tyres , so unfortunately you'd only be looking at a couple of extra k's with Stephans suggested tyre

Back