lower the top speed

Just lower your PAS and pedal slower. If you want to do it for legal riding, are you sure they really care and use a speed gun?

does anyone know how to lower the top speed for core 5 from 28mph to 20mph. or is it possible?
Rich is correct. If you have a 28 mph bike, why would you feel the need to downgrade it to a 20?
Top speed is a misnomer. 28mph and 20mph refer to the max. speeds that you can call upon assistance from the motor. It will stop giving you any help beyond those speeds. If you go beyond that, you're doing it all by your lonesome, like when coasting down a hill. CN

The speed can be limited in the Core5 display in the advanced settings.

Heres a link to the Core5 display manual which is on the Ride1up website, which has information to limit the speed on the Core5. I am pretty sure it is a generic type of manual and Ride1up uses a custom display, so the speed limit settings listed on the manual may be incorrect as I am pretty sure the Core5 does not need to be 'un-limited' to run at full speed.

But yeah, a quicker way is just to lower the PAS level.

Rich is correct. If you have a 28 mph bike, why would you feel the need to downgrade it to a 20?
Top speed is a misnomer. 28mph and 20mph refer to the max. speeds that you can call upon assistance from the motor. It will stop giving you any help beyond those speeds. If you go beyond that, you're doing it all by your lonesome, like when coasting down a hill. CN
Because on some trails bikes that are restricted to motor power 20MPH are allowed but those that can achieve 28 are not.

I don't know about the Ride1Up Core-5 model specifically, but the Ride1Up 700 series uses a different display (KD218) and has a menu item called speed limit. It can be set from 11 mph to 28 mph on my revision that I purchased in March. However, this only limits the speed from using throttle only, so pedal assist is not affected by that setting and still assists to around 28 mph per class 3 regs.

I don't know about the Ride1Up Core-5 model specifically, but the Ride1Up 700 series uses a different display (KD218) and has a menu item called speed limit. It can be set from 11 mph to 28 mph on my revision that I purchased in March. However, this only limits the speed from using throttle only, so pedal assist is not affected by that setting and still assists to around 28 mph per class 3 regs.
Throttle? I thought class 3 was pedal assist only to 28mph?

Edit-Just checked out your bike. Pedal assist to 28mph, and throttle assist to 20mph. But still isn't that not really a class 2 or 3 at that point? What is it-A class 2/3?

Throttle? I thought class 3 was pedal assist only to 28mph?
It has both throttle and pedal assist, both. As a matter of fact, I hardly use the throttle. It's not easy to regulate and quickly jumps to 750+ watts when using a fresh battery. I mostly just use it to get a quick extra boost crossing a street when there's traffic coming. But, I have verified throttle only will take the bike up 28 mph with a well charged battery on level ground while NOT pedaling, just as a test, when the menu item is set to 28 mph. That setting came defaulted to 20 mph. Note: This apparently varies with different models, even with different generations of the same model. I think some do not go over 20 mph with throttle only, but I can only be certain of what I have experienced/tested myself on my bike, which is a Ride1Up 700 series purchased in early March.

Another way to alter top speed if it is locked by the manufacturer of a bike is if wheel diameter is not locked so you can reset it with a tire change. You can tell a bike with 26" wheels for example that it has 30" wheels to make it go slower or that it has 13" wheels to make it go faster. The metric conversion trick will make a bike go 40% faster even if top speed is locked.

Because on some trails bikes that are restricted to motor power 20MPH are allowed but those that can achieve 28 are not.
No one, in my experience, is going to ask you to open up your settings and verify you are limited to 20mph. As others have said, just use a lower PAS. You can change the settings though to only assistance up to 20mph. I actually changed mine to 50kph as that is the maximum allowed in the settings.

Follow Killas link to change the top speed. It’s very easy.

No one, in my experience, is going to ask you to open up your settings and verify you are limited to 20mph. As others have said, just use a lower PAS. You can change the settings though to only assistance up to 20mph. I actually changed mine to 50kph as that is the maximum allowed in the settings.

Follow Killas link to change the top speed. It’s very easy.
No,but they might ask you: "What is the speed where your motor stops giving you assist?" If you're on a trail that allows a max motor assist speed of 20MPH on your bike and yours is set at 28MPH then you can either lie or admit to being in violation of trail rules. I would not be comfortable with either option so I follow whatever trail rules are in place whether or not I agree with them.

Back