Lower priced e bike

I just purchased an inexpensive 500 w 24 in tire e bike. Haven't rode it yet. Are the cheaper bikes of reasonable quality?

Thanks
Why don't you share the make, model, and price, and maybe some other members that purchased that make or model can give you some specific insight?

Varun Electric Bike for Adults, 24'' 500W Peak Ebike, Up to 35 Miles 20MPH Electric
I don't know anything about those bikes, but on thier parts page it looks like they use the "KT" controllers which are ubiquitous and easily sourced. That's a good thing.

You mean something like this one on amazon?
varun.jpg

The reviews, while only a few, seem good. The worst one came from a guy who didn't realize he had to pay shipping.

The biggest wake-up call on ebikes like this happens to folks that aren't hands-on or good with bikes, There is no one to tune your shifters, adjust your brakes, change the seat or handlebar positions, Let's not even talk about flat tires. I've always done my own repairs and learned to do the same with bikes. I see this as a good value. Others see it an an supported piece of junk.

I rarely have done it, but on low cost bikes like this, always a good idea to lube the front bearings, the headset, and bottom bracket (pedals), They probably use loose bearings. But if you cannot do it, don't worry about it. Replacing the bearings is inexpensive.

Have fun. I didn't talk about the electrical parts, I've never seem a motor fail. Controllers, if kept dry, don't fail either. If water gets inside, maybe 10 seconds before something fizzles DIsplays also go bad if water gets inside. Don't ride in a downpour. Cover the electrics if you transport on a carrier.

Batteries are the biggest question mark,. I would not take a bet on yours lasting two years, but so what. In two years, you'll be able to buy a safer replacement,

You mean something like this one on amazon?
View attachment 181826

The reviews, while only a few, seem good. The worst one came from a guy who didn't realize he had to pay shipping.

The biggest wake-up call on ebikes like this happens to folks that aren't hands-on or good with bikes, There is no one to tune your shifters, adjust your brakes, change the seat or handlebar positions, Let's not even talk about flat tires. I've always done my own repairs and learned to do the same with bikes. I see this as a good value. Others see it an an supported piece of junk.

I rarely have done it, but on low cost bikes like this, always a good idea to lube the front bearings, the headset, and bottom bracket (pedals), They probably use loose bearings. But if you cannot do it, don't worry about it. Replacing the bearings is inexpensive.

Have fun. I didn't talk about the electrical parts, I've never seem a motor fail. Controllers, if kept dry, don't fail either. If water gets inside, maybe 10 seconds before something fizzles DIsplays also go bad if water gets inside. Don't ride in a downpour. Cover the electrics if you transport on a carrier.

Batteries are the biggest question mark,. I would not take a bet on yours lasting two years, but so what. In two years, you'll be able to buy a safer replacement,

For $260. I'd say it's decent value if it last more than few hundred miles.
Beyond that, if you can fix the upcoming issues yourself, then it's a great value.
Not everyone need an expensive ebike.

Clearly from the photos it is a legit bike. Well almost.
1725567773348.jpeg

1725567859116.jpeg

1725567910619.jpeg

In photo 1 the guy is dressed for a time trial. The bike has a kickstand and fenders, a first for a TT bike, that is innovation. He also has clip in shoes and the bike does not have clip pedals, again a fresh take in design.
In photo 2 'On The Mountain' the motor's power is not shiftable for climbs, has a pogo fork with a sticker that says 'Not for off road,' and it has a kickstand that will deploy in rough situations, with cable actuated brakes.
Much the same can be said for photo 3. Why do we see a light beam in the daytime? It is noteworthy that he is dressed in all Fox Shox Race Team clothing.
1725569305495.png

Attachments

• 1725569074274.jpeg
    1725569074274.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 8
Clearly from the photos it is a legit bike. Well almost.
View attachment 181880
View attachment 181882
View attachment 181883
In photo 1 the guy is dressed for a time trial. The bike has a kickstand and fenders, a first for a TT bike, that is innovation. He also has clip in shoes and the bike does not have clip pedals, again a fresh take in design.
In photo 2 'On The Mountain' the motor's power is not shiftable for climbs, has a pogo fork with a sticker that says 'Not for off road,' and it has a kickstand that will deploy in rough situations, with cable actuated brakes.
Much the same can be said for photo 3. Why do we see a light beam in the daytime? It is noteworthy that he is dressed in all Fox Shox Race Team clothing.
View attachment 181885
Great thread. Thanks all.

Dave

Are the cheaper bikes of reasonable quality?

If you're just going to putz around the neighborhood a few times a year, sure, it'll probably be fine. I wouldn't rely on it to take me anywhere though. Definitely wouldn't count on it to get me back home. At the very least, I'd want to go through every part on it & make sure it's not going to kill me first. Cheap bikes are built to a price point - which is to say the builder won't spend a lot of time/money making sure it's ready to ride.

That bike referenced above...hard pass for me. It'll be worthless after a few hundred miles - if it makes it that far.

When a bike of this quality came my way the dropouts had to be filed to fit the wheels. The paint flaked off to show yellow primer, nothing worked right and was 100% counterfeit. Instead of making a fuss I ate the scam loss and gave it to a poor disabled guy. Lesson learned, tuition paid. And I'm never going back to my old school. Reviews must be on Google Maps, verified, tied to a real place, and not just on the seller's site.

When a bike of this quality came my way the dropouts had to be filed to fit the wheels. The paint flaked off to show yellow primer, nothing worked right and was 100% counterfeit. Instead of making a fuss I ate the scam loss and gave it to a poor disabled guy. Lesson learned, tuition paid. And I'm never going back to my old school. Reviews must be on Google Maps, verified, tied to a real place, and not just on the seller's site.
you begin to realize the insane markup on bikes when you start dealing with the lower end especially,imo a really good bike shouldnt run over$3000 and the cheapies can stay were they are.i got lulled into the half off msrp game and found out while the bike is alright its vastly over priced,i usually figure on adding a few upgrades myself,if a bike costs less than a single component upgrade you cannot expect much,i finally got a bike that really worked good for around $900(fs) and like a da i let it go because i wanted a bit more power,havent seen one like listed since,live and learn,the one thing you have to watch on a lower end bike is the fact that a lot of the frames are in a word cramped.

Back