Love my new Turbo Vado SL 4.0

Beautiful bike Dave. I just got the exact same bike from a Specialized dealer in Duluth Minnnesota. Although I live across the bridge in Wisconsin. I’ve been an avid biker for many years. Initially a road bike for races, centuries and even the ride across Iowa. I then graduated to flat bar hybrid bikes with my latest the Trek FX Sport 4. But now at age 76 I thought a little assistance would be a good idea. I mean biking should be fun, right. My first SL ride was a 20 miler on a bike trail. I tested all 3 modes and was just amazed. I did feel that the ride was a little harsh on some rough spots so I did order the Kinekt seat post. Reviews on this forum for the seat post have been very positive. I also purchased the TCD computer from a dealer in California. I set it up and paired it with the bike with no problems. But was disappointed to discover that it only works when the bike’s power is turned on. So when I ride for stretches with the power off, which I certainly will do, there’ll be no speed, cadence, power, etc. Since I don’t need 3 modes for trail riding, I’m thinking of tuning eco to 0/10 and using that in lieu of off. I’m assuming that setting will use very little battery. And then tune sport and turbo for the assist I’ll need. Anyway I’ll try it on my next ride and see how it’ll go. Bottom line is that I really like the SL 4.

Attachments

• C4EB1DAD-D0C6-42D4-92F0-26F2F6DA4165.jpeg
    C4EB1DAD-D0C6-42D4-92F0-26F2F6DA4165.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 399
Beautiful bike Dave. I just got the exact same bike from a Specialized dealer in Duluth Minnnesota. Although I live across the bridge in Wisconsin. I’ve been an avid biker for many years. Initially a road bike for races, centuries and even the ride across Iowa. I then graduated to flat bar hybrid bikes with my latest the Trek FX Sport 4. But now at age 76 I thought a little assistance would be a good idea. I mean biking should be fun, right. My first SL ride was a 20 miler on a bike trail. I tested all 3 modes and was just amazed. I did feel that the ride was a little harsh on some rough spots so I did order the Kinekt seat post. Reviews on this forum for the seat post have been very positive. I also purchased the TCD computer from a dealer in California. I set it up and paired it with the bike with no problems. But was disappointed to discover that it only works when the bike’s power is turned on. So when I ride for stretches with the power off, which I certainly will do, there’ll be no speed, cadence, power, etc. Since I don’t need 3 modes for trail riding, I’m thinking of tuning eco to 0/10 and using that in lieu of off. I’m assuming that setting will use very little battery. And then tune sport and turbo for the assist I’ll need. Anyway I’ll try it on my next ride and see how it’ll go. Bottom line is that I really like the SL 4.
I don’t know about your SL, but on my Creo if you hold the “power” switch down for 2 seconds the power turns off but the displays still work.

Thanks for the reply. I went and reread the installation instructions and in very small print it says ...If the power is turned off the information will not be displayed. On my SL the TCD is an option. So it’s a wireless unit. Other VADOS come with wired units already installed. That seemingly is the difference. My Apple Watch with gps will give me distance and average speed so I should be good to go when the powers on off.

I just bought the Vado 4.0 SL and installed the Redshift suspension stem ($150). I really like the stem and my shoulders and wrists are thanking me . There is a comparison video here:
. I also got the Redshift seatpost which is amazing (my prostrate is thanking me). So for me, it would be $850 more for the carbon fork, the TCD, and a couple more gears. Or I can put $850 towards a new ebike in a few years. There's always something better...

I don’t know about your SL, but on my Creo if you hold the “power” switch down for 2 seconds the power turns off but the displays still work.
You can ride with the power on and still not use the assist. Then your computer and your lights would be powered.

Back