Love my new Turbo Vado SL 4.0

Dave1520

Newby, first time posting.

Picked up my Vado SL 4.0 Friday evening. When I ordered it on June 5th, the expected delivery was early August. So when the shop called me Thursday to tell me it had arrived and was built, needless to say I was thrilled. I added the TCD at time of purchase, which in retrospect, should have not done so (see below). Got in a couple short rides due to other commitments, then took her out on a 30 miler yesterday. I loved everything about the bike.

I am a fairly fit road bike rider but a recent back surgery and the fact I am now 62, got me wanting an e-bike. When I saw the Vado SL released, the light weight and stealthy appearance really attracted my attention. I did the same 30 miler last week and shaved nearly 16 minutes off the time. I left with a full charge and had 37% remaining. I played around a lot with the boost from Eco to Sport to Turbo, just to see what the bike would do. In the future I will likely spend more time in Eco and nearly no time in Turbo except. Steep climbs. I burned about half the calories on the e-bike vs the analog bike.

I like the bike so much, I am now considering taking it back and getting the 5.0. I like the carbon fork and Future Shock on the 5.0 and I already bought the TCD (maybe can return that) but what makes me really want to upgrade is the 12-speed group. I have high end Shimano Ultegra and SRAM AXS Force on my other bikes. The shop will let me do the trade except the 5.0 is not available until mid-August. I would need to return the 4.0 sooner than that. Do I dare take the risk of hoping it comes in in 2-weeks again?

Thanks for letting me in the group. Here are a couple shots from Sunday’s ride. It was overcast so colors not great but I love the Crimson on the bike.
BE556169-25BE-4F92-8B2B-2E3D383705A1.jpeg
823EF8F1-7180-4325-BCA4-A895A2AFCD1A.jpeg

Congratulations @Dave1520! If you can trade the 4.0 for the 5.0, do it because the high spec e-bike will make you even more happy.

So, do the Vado SL bikes come with the display?

Wow, I'm jealous of your bikes. What bike do you have with SRAM AXS Force? That's a groupset I would love to have!
I have the AXS Force on a Bianchi Infinito CV. I had back surgery a couple months ago and I now find it painful to ride in in the aero position that bike puts me in so I am swapping that group to my gravel bike, which is a Ridey X-Trail Ultegra (mech). The Ridley gravel frame is much more relaxed than the Bianchi and I do well on it. Plus, I am really starting to enjoy the gravel trails around my house.

We are test riding a Como for my wife today. I am hoping she buys it and looking forward to leisurely rides with her on the Vado SL to restaurants, cafes and bars (as they start to open around our area) and just cruising around.

I plan to sell the Bianchi and the Ultegra group so when it is all said and done, I will have the Ridley AXS for serious gravel and occasional road rides (with a 2nd set of wheels) and the Vado SL for general fun and company with my wife.

I have to say though, I am really loving the e-bike. Best laid plans...

That's a beautiful bike! Love the color. Congrats!

I also have been trying to get my wife to test drive a Como—she secretly sold her Trek mechanical on Craigslist last summer after 21 years of motherhood (and several years of gathering dust).

Let us know what she thinks!

Another matte blue EQ 4.0 SL here. Great bike. I love your color too!

I think you made the right call in getting the 4.0 vs. the 5.0. I wrestled with that decision and came to the conclusion that what was offered on the 5.0 SL did not justify the $1000 price increase. It's a small (maybe $50-$60) upgrade in the derailleur with two extra gears, the carbon fork (barely more than a pound weight savings, I believe/ Future Shock stem suspension ($???) and the display ($97).

It didn't pencil out for me, and in fact, I preferred the matte blue over the gloss blue/black anyway. I also feel like the 10-speed version already has more gears than I want or need. As you note, you end up in ECO most of the time already, right? And unlike on my previous Vado, the display on the SL (mine came with the mount installed, which I removed) is detatchable. That's nice... only if you take it with you every time. I park my bike in the City a lot-- and I'm sure the one time I forgot to take the display with me, it'd be gone. My only hesitation was the stem suspension. I think it's cool. I believe I will affect a similar upgrade when my new suspension seat post arrives (coupled with the excellent saddle I got.)

With the $1000 I saved, I've bought a new leather saddle, a Kinekt suspension seat post (on order), a new pannier bag (on order) for commuting and a new helmet... and still have $500 or so left over.

Have fun with the SL! These are truly next-level ebikes we have. I love mine.

Last edited:
The money difference between the 4.0 and 5.0 reminds me of the difference between the Creo Aluminum and next model up with the carbon frame. Unless you really must have the best of everything it isn't worth the extra money.
Case-in-point, the difference between the Creo aluminum and carbon bikes.
Having said that, I've ridden a Creo with the Future Shock and it is definitely worth the money.

... The shop will let me do the trade except the 5.0 is not available until mid-August. I would need to return the 4.0 sooner than that. Do I dare take the risk of hoping it comes in in 2-weeks again...
Some others on the forums have posted that August estimate so there must be something to it. I laid down a deposit on a 5.0 EQ right after the product announcement and my shop said end of June. I haven't heard from them and I'm beginning to think the August figure might be accurate.

I decided to keep the 4.0. As I mentioned earlier, I was to take my wife in for a test rides on the Como and Vado today. She loved both bikes. Really had a tough time deciding but at the end of the day preferred the Como 3.0 for the comfort factor. She is coming off an Electra Townie and the Como matched the laid back ride feel closest. I rode it home 6 miles from the shop for her. It was a fun ride and definitely noticed the increased power (2x you vs. 4x you) over my SL. She and we will now have a blast over the summer.

Anyway, after dropping yet another $3k on another bike, I am more than happy with the SL 4.0

The money difference between the 4.0 and 5.0 reminds me of the difference between the Creo Aluminum and next model up with the carbon frame. Unless you really must have the best of everything it isn't worth the extra money.
Having said that, I've ridden a Creo with the Future Shock and it is definitely worth the money.
I thought you decided not to buy one because it wasn't worth the money? I've read so many threads here though I could easily be remembering this incorrectly.

I dig your name. I cooked some steaks for my wife this evening, to celebrate our anniversary. We had some Steely Dan in the dinner mix...

I thought you decided not to buy one because it wasn't worth the money? I've read so many threads here though I could easily be remembering this incorrectly.
I really liked the Future Shock and I thought the Creo aluminum's $6000 price was decent considering all the bike's technology.
I definitely don't think the Creo aluminum is worth an extra $500, but I noticed that Cit E Cycles, in Vancouver, still have the aluminum Creo listed at $5999.

I just ordered one of these from my LBS website. Hopefully it shows up much earlier than the August/September timeframe on the site. I am in the SF Bay Area like OP and ordered from a shop in SF (Mike's Bikes).

This is my first Specialized bike... are expected delivery dates generally pretty accurate? I've thought about calling LBS and asking if there's a more accurate ETA but haven't because I know they're busy.

I just ordered one of these from my LBS website. Hopefully it shows up much earlier than the August/September timeframe on the site. I am in the SF Bay Area like OP and ordered from a shop in SF (Mike's Bikes).

This is my first Specialized bike... are expected delivery dates generally pretty accurate? I've thought about calling LBS and asking if there's a more accurate ETA but haven't because I know they're busy.

You'll like your experience with Mike's Bikes SF. They are extremely busy right now, however, and are doing all business on the sidewalk in front of the store. There is always a line. Given the obvious obstacles, I found the experience very professional and efficient.

I think it might be worthwhile to call and see what their delivery situation actually is. They supply all of the Mike's Bike's locations comes from a central warehouse. So, they receive shipments and then send them out to various locations throughout the area for assembly and tuning. In my case, one of their stores had actually received a pre-assembly bike that wasn't sold yet. I benefitted from good timing and had them deliver that bike to the SF store.

In other words, they are dealing in 4-5 times the allocations of most other local shops. They may be able to move you up on the list if you talk to a person, versus just letting the system work.

In any case, plan for a couple of days once the bike hits the SF store for them to build and tune it. That's where the busy store delays really factor in. They will be polite and will do their best to accommodate you, but patience will be a virtue at this stage... it's a busy time for bike shops.

Congrats on the purchase! Hope to see you on the streets and trails soon.

Last edited:

I was quoted early August when I ordered my Vado SL 4.0 in early June. Mine came in just over 2 weeks later. I also have been looking at a Creo Carbon Comp EVO and was quoted mid-August about 2 weeks ago. Texted back (best way to contact my bike shop) on Friday and they now have several in stock. Going to look at one this week.

My Specialized dealer is Bike Source, also a very large chain of dealers.

Newby, first time posting.

Picked up my Vado SL 4.0 Friday evening. When I ordered it on June 5th, the expected delivery was early August. So when the shop called me Thursday to tell me it had arrived and was built, needless to say I was thrilled. I added the TCD at time of purchase, which in retrospect, should have not done so (see below). Got in a couple short rides due to other commitments, then took her out on a 30 miler yesterday. I loved everything about the bike.

I am a fairly fit road bike rider but a recent back surgery and the fact I am now 62, got me wanting an e-bike. When I saw the Vado SL released, the light weight and stealthy appearance really attracted my attention. I did the same 30 miler last week and shaved nearly 16 minutes off the time. I left with a full charge and had 37% remaining. I played around a lot with the boost from Eco to Sport to Turbo, just to see what the bike would do. In the future I will likely spend more time in Eco and nearly no time in Turbo except. Steep climbs. I burned about half the calories on the e-bike vs the analog bike.

I like the bike so much, I am now considering taking it back and getting the 5.0. I like the carbon fork and Future Shock on the 5.0 and I already bought the TCD (maybe can return that) but what makes me really want to upgrade is the 12-speed group. I have high end Shimano Ultegra and SRAM AXS Force on my other bikes. The shop will let me do the trade except the 5.0 is not available until mid-August. I would need to return the 4.0 sooner than that. Do I dare take the risk of hoping it comes in in 2-weeks again?

Thanks for letting me in the group. Here are a couple shots from Sunday’s ride. It was overcast so colors not great but I love the Crimson on the bike.View attachment 56404View attachment 56405

Back