Love my CCS, losing patience with Juiced

PeteH

You show a video of it taking a guy 1 minute to change a freehub. How long did it take that person to remove the wheel, chain, spockes, tire, cassette , I'm I missing anything?

PeteH

You show a video of it taking a guy 1 minute to change a freehub. How long did it take that person to remove the wheel, chain, spockes, tire, cassette , I'm I missing anything?

You can access the screws holding the hub together with the 32t sprocket still in place (barely). The motor, axle, freewheel, and sprocket all come free together, leaving the external hub, spokes, rim, and tire behind.

Taking the wheel off the bike isn't too bad. You unplug the motor, loosen the axle bolts, and pull the chain away as you drop the wheel. The hardest job is putting wheel back on. Since it's so heavy, you pretty much have to do it with the bike upside down to get gravity working for you.

Bottom line, the first time might take half an hour. After a few times, maybe 5 minutes.

The real hard part is sourcing the clutch/gear assembly. So far I've only found them in China. The good news is they only cost about $30.

Since it's so heavy, you pretty much have to do it with the bike upside down to get gravity working for you.(Quote)

Much more difficult if it's not upside down. (have tried both ways.)

Hi PeteH,

I am going through the same "groaning sounds" problem on my Juiced Cross Current S.
It was interesting to discover that our problem seems to be a common problem on ebikes using geared hub motors. (Currently today, I have less than 600 total miles on my CCS ebike)

So here is my story...

When the hub motor clutch/gear unit slips completely, you lose both peddle assist, and the throttle operation. If you hear groaning sounds but still have assist, the clutch is just starting to slip a little and the internal drive unit is just starting to rotate backwards creating this groaning noise. So having the groaning sounds is just the beginning of the worst of it. You are lucky that you addressed this problem early.

I have had to peddle back many miles, and trips to my car already trying to diagnose this problem.

TIP, if this happens to you, turn off your ebike. If not, the peddle assist gives power to the motor. This rotates the motor's "internal drive" and spins it backwards which creates drag making it harder to peddle. Ask me how I know this...

My CCS was delivered to me in person by a Juiced Bike employee on October 30, 2018 and it was under warranty until October 30, 2019. (The original 1-year warranty)
They offered to deliver an assembled CCS because the first one was destroyed during shipping. (Not a Juice Bike problem) Thank you Juiced Bikes!

I have been working with Juiced Technical Support via email now since October 17, 2019 on this problem. (Today is April 6, 2020)

Last week (and 29-emails later from my first one...)
Technical Support decided to have me carefully remove and ship my rear wheel, and controller to them. Next Technical Support emailed me that "The invoice has been sent",

Do you know what that means since you went through the same thing?
I am assuming that the shipping boxes are on their way to me with an invoice.

By the way, my quote is: $40 for "Inspection", and $45 for Shipping...
And if I approve the repairs after diagnosing, I will be responsible for the cost of the repairs.
What happens if they cannot diagnose my intermittent problem?

I understand that I am responsible for shipping, but the bicycle should have still be under warranty for the inspection and repairs.

Can you update me on how your warranty repairs went, and if the repairs are still working?
Also can you tell me where you could have source the new clutch/gear assembly?

After hearing your story, I will remove the rotor, cassette, and all the mounting washers and nuts from the rear wheel before shipping. Thank you for that tip!

And now I hope that they will have parts to repair my problem. As of last week, the rear wheel assembly is "sold out", and they informed me that they don't sell the clutch/gear assembly.

Thank you for sharing your story on this matter, and your frustration with Juiced Technical Support!

Last edited:
Hi PeteH,

I am going through the same "groaning sounds" problem on my Juiced Cross Current S.
It was interesting to discover that our problem seems to be a common problem on ebikes using geared hub motors. (Currently today, I have less than 600 total miles on my CCS ebike)

So here is my story...

When the hub motor clutch/gear unit slips completely, you lose both peddle assist, and the throttle operation. If you hear groaning sounds but still have assist, the clutch is just starting to slip a little and the internal drive unit is just starting to rotate backwards creating this groaning noise. So having the groaning sounds is just the beginning of the worst of it. You are lucky that you addressed this problem early.

I have had to peddle back many miles, and trips to my car already trying to diagnose this problem.

TIP, if this happens to you, turn off your ebike. If not, the peddle assist gives power to the motor. This rotates the motor's "internal drive" and spins it backwards which creates drag making it harder to peddle. Ask me how I know this...

My CCS was delivered to me in person by a Juiced Bike employee on October 30, 2018 and it was under warranty until October 30, 2019. (The original 1-year warranty)
They offered to deliver an assembled CCS because the first one was destroyed during shipping. (Not a Juice Bike problem) Thank you Juiced Bikes!

I have been working with Juiced Technical Support via email now since October 17, 2019 on this problem. (Today is April 6, 2020)

Last week (and 29-emails later from my first one...)
Technical Support decided to have me carefully remove and ship my rear wheel, and controller to them. Next Technical Support emailed me that "The invoice has been sent",

Do you know what that means since you went through the same thing?
I am assuming that the shipping boxes are on their way to me with an invoice.

By the way, my quote is: $40 for "Inspection", and $45 for Shipping...
And if I approve the repairs after diagnosing, I will be responsible for the cost of the repairs.
What happens if they cannot diagnose my intermittent problem?

I understand that I am responsible for shipping, but the bicycle should have still be under warranty for the inspection and repairs.

Can you update me on how your warranty repairs went, and if the repairs are still working?
Also can you tell me where you could have source the new clutch/gear assembly?

After hearing your story, I will remove the rotor, cassette, and all the mounting washers and nuts from the rear wheel before shipping. Thank you for that tip!

And now I hope that they will have parts to repair my problem. As of last week, the rear wheel assembly is "sold out", and they informed me that they don't sell the clutch/gear assembly.

Thank you for sharing your story on this matter, and your frustration with Juiced Technical Support!

My CCS is now a parts bike, RIP, 7000 mi, 3 1/2 mos. assorted down time. Love my NCM Moscow. In spite of the name,
this German bike will climb a tree, & so much more affordable.

I'm little hard on bikes, the CCS probably wasn't the best choice on my part. It all started to goe south
when the spoke bores wore out. The 1st run CCS had all spokes laced in from one side of the motor rim
instead of alternating. Every time the spokes flexed they would bind against each other & the spoke bore.
I started losing spokes on every ride, & finally bought another wheel & motor, actually a whole kit,
but luckily It plugged right into the existing set up. That wheel & motor still works fine but the bike
itself simply became too much hassle to deal with all dicky-dacky annoyances. It no longer felt it was safe to ride.
Im' much happier with what I've got now. I spent much less to get a more robust bike suited to more varied
surfaces, & is easier to maintain. I'm not really 'commuter' material.

Last edited:
Back