Loose front fork?

MannysGhost

I have two Ecotric 20 inch folders. On one of them, I have noticed that the front fork seems to shift a bit on hard braking, as if applying the brake stops the wheel and fork but reveals a slight looseness as the main frame catches up to the fork. The other bike demonstrates no movement or looseness on similar braking. At first I thought one of the wheel might not be sitting right in the dropout, but they seem snug, and after repeatedly applying both brakes, rear only, front only while walking the bike, I think I have isolated the movement to the front fork. I tightened the allen bolt under the folding handlebar, and thought it made a little difference, but the tightening didn't eliminate the behavior. I put both bikes together myself, and don't remember doing anything different on either bike in the process. It is only a slight movement on braking, not dramatic, but I would like to eliminate it nonetheless. Sorry in advance for the vague description - if I actually knew the source of the problem I am sure I could describe it better. Any suggestion on things I should check or adjust will be most welcome.

Sounds like a loose headset. If your not familiar with adjustments for that I would spend a couple of bucks and get a shop to do the adjustments. Better than beating up internal components continually.

DId you loosen these two allen bolts in the collar before tightening the center allen bolt?

collar.jpg

Harry - as always you make the right points. I will double check this weekend (bike is not at my main residence). I think I failed to do that - if I had done it that way I believe I would remember! Duh! Thanks for the help.

I should have gone back an reviewed my basic Park Tool video before I did anything! I haven't put too many miles on it so I think I can fix this - BTW I find these bikes to be really fun. Their top speed is plenty for me although they feel nice and stable even at the highest PAS and highest gearing - or at wide open throttle, too.

I realise it’s an old post but relevant to me now, do all folders have these retaining screws that need undoing before the centre Allen screw?
Thanks

Hi Novice. The one in the above picture does, Without knowing what you have....but the above is typical of tjhe threadless headset. The center allen screw is just to snug up the components, and the side collar is what holds the whole fork/bearings together.

Hi Novice. The one in the above picture does, Without knowing what you have....but the above is typical of tjhe threadless headset. The center allen screw is just to snug up the components, and the side collar is what holds the whole fork/bearings together.
Hi Harry, thank you for replying,
I have an 2 Oxygen go folding bikes
both with dealer at the moment so can’t take any photos, mine have slight fore/aft movement which I don’t think it should, so would like to try myself to tighten. 🤫

I now have bikes back here are some pics, mine don’t have any visible screws only the centre bolt.

Attachments

• 5B67A7F6-5F78-47D3-8480-DF1B2C7330C8.jpeg
    5B67A7F6-5F78-47D3-8480-DF1B2C7330C8.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 673
  • 52959E20-298B-426C-A961-EA7BB8543A1F.jpeg
    52959E20-298B-426C-A961-EA7BB8543A1F.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 800
  • 107CE59F-E392-4A98-9314-6CF7DFD0FA37.jpeg
    107CE59F-E392-4A98-9314-6CF7DFD0FA37.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 676
That is why I qualified my answer for the threadless headset. The other kind is the threaded system. The center bolt tightens a part called the quill, which keeps the handlebars/steerer from turning.

On a threaded system, there is a large nut. either 1" or 1 1/8", that must be snugged down to hold the headset together. It's not apparent in your photos. The following illustrate how it works. You might want to undo the center bolt, pull the steerer off, and see if that round collar has something under it that can be tightened. Probably should have had your bike shop look at it.

steerer.jpg` expander.jpg diagram.jpg

Hi Harry, thanks for replying, I have asked bike shop numerous times and it’s because they fold!!!!!! Not convinced so would like to try myself.

Looking at the diagram which I thank you for, it appears that that tightens the headset down? It the the forks that have fore/ aft play. Sorry if I’m not clear.

Loose forks should be something for the dealer to look at., but hope you were able to address any headset looseness.

Does the bike have a suspension fork? If it does, it could be that there is play in the suspension itself, which is not uncommon on cheap forks. There are bushings inside which have to be tight enough so there is no play, but also loose enough so that the suspension can move. Normally you cannot get replacement bushings for a cheap fork; if there is a problem, you just get a new fork.

I believe some quill systems (threaded headsets) where if you remove the steerer, the collar under it is a cover for the threaded fasteners.

Do you want to try undoing the center bolt and seeing if the steerer comes off.

Back