Loose fat tire spokes

Ashley64

Hi,
I have a Voltbike Mariner style bike and noticed that the rear spokes on the braks disc side only were all pretty loose. I could hear them clicking. Has anyone else had this issue with these 20 inch fat tire wheels?
Thanks

Sloppy assembly, but not unusual when they use heavy 12G and 13G spokes.

Someone has to tighten them up and true the wheel or they will start breaking, If you're a patient person, you can watch a tutorial on youtube, buy a $5 wrench, and get them tight yourself. WIth practice, you can have the wheel turning straight too. It's not rocket science. My nephew was building the wheels at the bike shop when he was 16.

Both of my two Radrovers 26X4" spokes needed to be re-TQ because of clicking and disk brake being out of true. It was about 1/4 of the spokes between both bikes needed to be re-TQ. I didn't do anything fancy except use a spoke tightening tool and hand TQ to same all around. Some spokes took 2-3 complete 360 degree turns. Solved the disk brake rub and clicking sound.

Both of my two Radrovers 26X4" spokes needed to be re-TQ because of clicking and disk brake being out of true. It was about 1/4 of the spokes between both bikes needed to be re-TQ. I didn't do anything fancy except use a spoke tightening tool and hand TQ to same all around. Some spokes took 2-3 complete 360 degree turns. Solved the disk brake rub and clicking sound.

Is that front and back wheels? My wifes folding Juicy bike had a similar issue too on the back wheel. I tightened them today. Do you think it's after they've been run in for a bit or just bad QC?

It was both front and back rims on both fat tire bikes with random loose spokes. It was my front brake disk that was rubbing on one bike until I tighten the spokes. The rear spokes on the other bike was making the clicking sound when riding until I did the same for that. I come in at 280 lbs and another 10-15 lbs for rack+bag+tools. The wife at 130 lbs didn't get the same issues when riding.

I just got one of those round multi spoke tools off Amazon for $3 and that seems to work pretty good. I have around 2000 miles on each bike and the haven't notice the working themselves loose after 1800 miles and 18 months of riding.

It was both front and back rims on both fat tire bikes with random loose spokes. It was my front brake disk that was rubbing on one bike until I tighten the spokes. The rear spokes on the other bike was making the clicking sound when riding until I did the same for that. I come in at 280 lbs and another 10-15 lbs for rack+bag+tools. The wife at 130 lbs didn't get the same issues when riding.

I just got one of those round multi spoke tools off Amazon for $3 and that seems to work pretty good. I have around 2000 miles on each bike and the haven't notice the working themselves loose after 1800 miles and 18 months of riding.

I bought exactly the same type of spoke wrench. They seem fine now. Mine were clicking that's how I realised they needed tightening.

Back