So went to REI for service and...

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
I had a broken spoke on my Lectric XP 3.0's (my fault, I caught it on something) rear wheel. I was going to try and fix it myself but time said pay someone else. Most of the spokes were loose from me still riding it before I realized the crunching was getting louder. So off to REI to see if they'd fix it.

I pulled the rear wheel, cleaned it as best as I could and removed the tire. The lady at the REI asked if I could leave it there as the wheel guy was at lunch. Fine with me. I left the wheel and a bag of extra spokes and nipples. Told her if the guy will work on it to go ahead and fix it. About 2 hours later I got a call, and a text, saying my wheel was ready for pick-up. He put the correct tension on all the spokes and made sure it was true. Total cost $25, plus I bought the 2 techs lunch as I believe in taking care of service workers. They (REI) did tell me this.

Since I removed the wheel and carried it in that was good. They don't technically service ebikes they don't sell because if they remove a part to fix something, and then the ebike won't work after said part was re-installed, they don't have the diagnostics tools to check the systems. As I carried the wheel in off the ebike I assumed the re-installing liability myself. Overall I'm glad I gave them a try for bike service. Strange part was it was the same techs from when I was looking at that old stock Tern they had on the floor forever. No judgement for bringing in a wheel from a DTC ebike, just fixed the problem for a fair price. Oh, and someone purchased the Tern finally. No, it wasn't me!

My local REI will service any ebike for normal mechanical issues that are not motor related.

I joined their membership because rates were cheap and they would fix flats for just material costs.

That changed recently. They now charge for flat fixes on rear hub motor tires. The last one I did was $48 which seems high to me but I was already there.

I like the convenience of a repair shop open 7 days and at night but the new policy has me reconsidering mobile service again.

Back