Loose Cassette Cogs

YoGe

I have 1,900 miles on my Creo Turbo. Today, I was changing the rear tire and I took the opportunity to clean the cassette while the wheel was off the frame. I noticed that the cogs of the cassette had a slight play relative to each other, not firmly fixed as I expected them to be. I got out my cassette wrench and I was able to tighten the lock ring about 8 - 10 clicks. The situation surprised me because I never noticed this before on any other bike I have owned. In fact, I used to replace my cassette annually on my last eBike and boy, the ring was really always locked down tight and a real pain to loosen. Can this loosen over time? Or is this more an indication that the ring was not locked down sufficiently on the original build? Thanks for your advice!

That is disheartening. I bought this from an authorized Specialized dealer. All right, I'll know for next time. If you want something done right you have to do it (or verify it) yourself!

That is disheartening. I bought this from an authorized Specialized dealer. All right, I'll know for next time. If you want something done right you have to do it (or verify it) yourself!
a mecanic would not check that I would think. hell look at trek with their pedal recall all because they were not installed tight enough.

I'm not sure I understood your original reply. Did my LBS install this cassette or did it come preinstalled when they received the bike boxed from Specialized?

I'm not sure I understood your original reply. Did my LBS install this cassette or did it come preinstalled when they received the bike boxed from Specialized?
It was probably assembled that way. But the local shop should have gone over it to check it out.

I had the same issue(s) with my E5. Not only a loose cassette, but loose headset as well. I noticed the cassette issue while lubing the chain & had my son tighten it (he has all the tools). I always thought the front end had too much swivel compared to my other bike. Turns out the the headset needed tightening also. Thanks to YouTube, son knew what to tighten. Not too impressed with a dealer who'd let a Cdn$7000 bike out the door in this state. I had them install my old pedals at the time and needed a breaker bar to pry them free so I could install new ones. I drove 5 hours to pick up this bike, as there were none available locally, so no going back to the dealer for service. Glad it wasn't the S-Works ($$$$) or I'd have been really *issed!

Yeah, it's reprehensible. A 6K+ bicycle (not to mention another 1K+ in extender batteries and accessories) should be in tip-top shape before delivered to the customer. Next time I will get the bike home, take it through my own 21 point checklist and if anything is wrong it's going right back to the LBS to remediate if necessary. (Or more likely, I'll just fix it myself.)

You are actually lucky @YoGe they did not lose any of the cassette cog spacers on the assembly...
A primary reason behind loose cassette cogs, the next one being under tightened lockring.

I just noticed this again at 2200 miles, 300 miles after I originally posted this. Is the cassette defective?

Now I'm feeling bad for blaming the LBS. If the cassette is defective, then this is Specialized's fault. Any recourse? Or should I just replace the cassette and move on?

they did not lose any of the cassette cog spacers on the assembly...
A primary reason behind loose cassette cogs, the next one being under tightened lockring.
Either some spacers of the cassette were lost or the lockring was not properly tightened.
Yes, you may replace the cassette, and you better buy a new compatible lockring, too.
Give the work to someone confident with the task and trustworthy.

Back