Looking for under 2.5K Torque Sensor Ebike

DeadPixel

Region
USA
Hey y'all. I have done my research and looked over this forum and narrowed down my ebike choices but I need some help choosing the last two. I couldn't find a thread for my particular situation. Just so you know my consideration, I plan to use this bike to get back into fitness, for fun/recreational use, and to sometimes pick up 1 or 2 items at the store. I'm 5'2, so pretty short and would prefer a step-through or at least a small-sized ebike. I definitely want something with a torque sensor, throttle and pedal assist. I will be riding on paved, sidewalk, urban area. I really prefer a fairly lightweight bike, <70lb would be great. My budget is under $2,500, it was much lower before but considering I want a torque sensor bike I had to increase it.

So with that, I ended up with my main choices the Surface604 Rook or Juiced RipCurrent S. My other options are the Sondors LX however it's not in stock. I actually like the look of the other Juice bike the CrossCurrent X the most(and I have seen it recommended here too) but the height recommendation for the bike are 5'4+. However I looked the geometry/sizing of the bike, its frame size 16" and the standover height is 29.5. It seems like it should fit me being 5'2 but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated choosing between the Surface604 or Juiced ebikes. Or if anyone has another bike recommendation that would be great too

Do you need a traditional frame or is a mini velo okay?

Have you checked out the Ariel Rider M Class?

Ripcurrent S is a fat tire bike. The Rook has 2.4" tires. It doesn't sound like you need heavy fat tires for your purposes.

I would add REI's Co-op Cycles CTY e2.1 or 2.2 as options: https://www.rei.com/b/co-op-cycles/c/electric-bikes

From my own searching, they seem to be some of the cheapest brand-name mid drive e-bikes with pretty decent quality/range/performance. They are both in stock currently, but based on previous sales history may sell out within a few weeks (they seem to be receiving new shipments every few months though).

As it is a standard Shimano system, you can get it serviced at most local bike shops if you don't have an REI close by.

Can anyone help me out here?
Suggest FLX Step Through around $2700. Very nicely equipped with 14Ah battery and Deore components. 47lb. https://flx.bike/products/step-through-2-0?variant=39440777871526
RedSide_1800x1800.png

Assuming warranty and service is important the REI suggestion looks solid if you have a store convenient to you. The FLX looks like a nice bike but here is from their warranty which is minimal, sounds like a hassle, would entail significant expense if you can't do the work yourself and who would you get to do the work for you (and at your own expense) if you can't do it yourself? "FLX BIKE will require the customer to complete a MANDATORY standard procedure for warranty claims that will involve media such as photos and videos to help FLX BIKE after sales staff establish the fault with the product.
Only the individual components themselves are covered by the warranty. The removal, assembly, and tuning requirements of the component is borne by the customer making the claim."

Thanks for the advice. The only problem with the REI is that it doesn't have a throttle. Service/Warranty is a little worrying for me but if it comes to it I will just repair my bike. I'm an electrical engineer and pretty handy so I will rough it out if I have too

If you are confident and reasonably able to work on bikes yourself as you indicate then another option is to put a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive on a bike that you already have and like. I'm no mechanic but I am not afraid to tackle DIY projects. I have two TSDZ2 mid drive motors and so far installed and tried them on 5 different bikes, yes 5 - from Dahon folders to Walmart hybrid and folding bikes and a beach cruiser. It is a very easy and straightforward installation for most standard bikes. Has torque sensing and performs about equally with my Yamaha PW-SE mid drive gravel bike. It is throttle compatible although I haven't installed a throttle. I ride regularly but haven't ridden my Yamaha powered bike in well over a month because I prefer the tongsheng. Another plus is that most of the parts are replaceable, easily sourced and not too expensive although I've not had any problems with mine in hundreds of miles of use.

Yeah. It's unfortunate that I don't have a bike already, which is why I shy away from the DIY path. However, I'll look into it if can't find any ebike for my needs. I watch some DIY videos and it didn't seem too bad. Thank you for the mid-drive recommendation

Here are a couple of bikes I have done for petite persons with the afore mentioned mid-drive. With a torque sensor the throttle is controlled like a car, with your foot. You really do not need one on the handlebar but that is an option. Good batteries do not need to be large anymore and total weight can be under 40 pounds. A higher quality bike from Craigslist can be used or even a big box bike from some place like Dick's Sporting Goods. A Public C7 or C7i are also nice bikes with are step-through for conversions with bikes like them running about $300 good used.
1626211623071.png

Attachments

• DSCF7193.JPG
    DSCF7193.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF7275.jpg
    DSCF7275.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Katies2105.JPG
    Katies2105.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6472 (002).jpg
    IMG_6472 (002).jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 246
You may want to check out the Ride 1 Up "Prodigy". It looks like a lot of mid drive bike for the money. The key word here is looks like. Only raving pre bike previews as I don't believe anyone has actually ridden one yet. Lots of higher end components according to the reviewers opinions.
The down side is the wait which is January, but then on the other hand it is hard to find any e-bike of any quality that one doesn't have to wait for at this point.
I trust mine will be here in January.

I made this Marin a torque sensor mid-drive for someone who is 4'11" yesterday. She purchased a new $700 bike a few of days ago and now she has a superior electric bike. I did through frame wiring. You can see the display ON, on the left handlebar. The 'water bottle' is the battery.

Attachments

• MarinWireless1.JPG
    MarinWireless1.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 232
  • MarinWireless4.JPG
    MarinWireless4.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 212
You may want to check out the Ride 1 Up "Prodigy". It looks like a lot of mid drive bike for the money. The key word here is looks like. Only raving pre bike previews as I don't believe anyone has actually ridden one yet. Lots of higher end components according to the reviewers opinions.
The down side is the wait which is January, but then on the other hand it is hard to find any e-bike of any quality that one doesn't have to wait for at this point.
I trust mine will be here in January.
Kevin, the owner has ridden one. He spoke highly of it. Of course, some would say he's biased. :) I think it's an interesting bike, based on the Brose motor system, but at that price point, I wonder if it might be worth spending a little extra dough for a Specialized, like a 2021 Como or 2022 Vado.

Hey y'all. I have done my research and looked over this forum and narrowed down my ebike choices but I need some help choosing the last two. I couldn't find a thread for my particular situation. Just so you know my consideration, I plan to use this bike to get back into fitness, for fun/recreational use, and to sometimes pick up 1 or 2 items at the store. I'm 5'2, so pretty short and would prefer a step-through or at least a small-sized ebike. I definitely want something with a torque sensor, throttle and pedal assist. I will be riding on paved, sidewalk, urban area. I really prefer a fairly lightweight bike, <70lb would be great. My budget is under $2,500, it was much lower before but considering I want a torque sensor bike I had to increase it.

So with that, I ended up with my main choices the Surface604 Rook or Juiced RipCurrent S. My other options are the Sondors LX however it's not in stock. I actually like the look of the other Juice bike the CrossCurrent X the most(and I have seen it recommended here too) but the height recommendation for the bike are 5'4+. However I looked the geometry/sizing of the bike, its frame size 16" and the standover height is 29.5. It seems like it should fit me being 5'2 but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated choosing between the Surface604 or Juiced ebikes. Or if anyone has another bike recommendation that would be great too

I have the CrossCurrent X and it's been a Super bike. I did find the 1.75" (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28"x1.75") were not quite wide enough for where we do most of our riding. I gave it to my wife and when crossing a rail road track at a little angle she almost lost it when the tire got caught. She now pays a little closer attention. I love the ride of my new bike with the 27"x2.30" tires, IMO the ride seems to feel much much better too. The Juice is pretty speedy and has been a great bike when riding on smooth/pavement surfaces. Look at the Aventon.....Love it too.....Plus they ship and have some dealers around if you need service, parts, etc. You'll have to add a head light and tail light which was no big deal if that's important..... Good luck and Happy Trails!!! Have fun!!!

Last edited:
Look at the Aventon.....Love it too.....Plus they ship and have some dealers around if you need service, parts, etc. You'll have to add a head light and tail light which was no big deal if that's important..... Good luck and Happy Trails!!! Have fun!!!
OP said he definitely wants a torque sensor, so that one is out.

Back