Looking for my First Ebike!

Ok, so about me.
-I am 5'9"
-About 215lbs
-38yrs old
-Commute would be 16 miles each way. Because of this I am looking for one way to be good exercise and the other the ebike will help
-Southern California (san diego)
-Light hills, some are pretty extended. I believe there are a few short steep grades. My driveway especially is extremely steep
-Commute will be a couple times a week (got a kid and need to pick him up/drop him off with the car some days)

budget is about $1500... maybe I could go up to 2000. Maybe

I was looking hard at the ride1up. The 500 or 700.
Looked at Rad but not sure I love them.
Really liked the sonders stepthrough fold but the 350w motor may be insufficient.
Aventon Pace 500 looked nice too.

Not sure if I want a step through or not.

Hard to go test these things with all that is going on these days.
I have had a (non-electric) trek 7.2 fx for a long time. Used it as my commute bike when my ride was about 10 miles. It's been good but this is a far ride.

I am capable of building some stuff but when it comes to bikes and the thought of safety I am a bit weary. I just don't have the experience with brakes and such that depending on how complex or simple the build is (if it's in a million pieces vs put these sections together) I would perhaps get it checked out.

I would probably consider used too. Or is that something I should stay away from?

Thank you all!

You can find some great used deals if you look long enough. Offerup, craigslist,EBR forums, etc. I bought one of my bikes on Offerup that was part of an estate sale. The bike is 2015 Haibike Xduro Urban with 1 mile on odometer. It sold for $4500 new, but I bought it for $1100. It's a great bike, well worth the money.

This one seems like a good value and within in your price range.

Juiced are above my price range at 2500 but thank you for the reply

I checked via IM chat with Juiced and they have the CrossCurrent S2 in stock at $1,899 plus $147.18 CA tax and free delivery, they have suspended test rides and local pickup but are delivering via FedEx Ground. Looks like they charge a 20% restocking fee if you decide to return it, and you would pay return shipping https://www.juicedbikes.com/pages/cancellation-returns-policy

Unfortunately you just missed the Juiced 'open box' bike sale last week. $300 off MSRP for open box or minor cosmetic blem bikes.

They do these sales, it seems, every few months. But who knows now since e-bike purchasing has gone crazy due to folks looking for an alternative to public transit, and e-bike manufacturing in China being delayed by 2+ months during lockdowns. You probably want to get what you can while you still can as e-bike availability will be abnormal probably for this whole year. Maybe pay a little more now to have something? Buy once, cry once, and meanwhile enjoy the riding.

We have a Ride1Up 700 step through and a RadCity 16" frame. Very similar bikes, similar price, but the Ride1Up is by far the better bike.

Take a look at the overstock sale at CL's... iZip Trlz $1,199 ;)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Reactions: TMH
That Aventon is really nice. Looks comparable to the ride1up lmtd but cheaper and has the rack and fenders. Damn.

Juiced and ride1up bikes mentioned are both 1800 with similar features (as far as I can tell). Juiced has a 52v 13aH battery vs 48V 14aH on the other two.

Anyone have experience with Aventon?

Just got an email from Juiced: $100 discount on bikes with code 'MOM100'

Just got an email from Juiced: $100 discount on bikes with code 'MOM100'
Thanks, I did see that. It would be 1900 without and 1800 with which is the same as ride1up and 200 more than aventon. Trying to compare these. Still learning about the other components and checking reviews

The review here on the Aventon says the motor can get a bit loud? at high speeds. I am curious what 'loud' consists of and if the ride1up would have that issue.

Crazy Lenny's overstock has an izip with only 250w motor. Sounds underpowered for my needs. The crazy deal is a little too beach cruiser and similar specs to aventon.

Both Aventon Pace 500 (or Level), and Ride1Up 500 will do for your scenario.
I would probably choose Aventon - better foot position, and locally serviced.
500W Bafang of Ride1Up and 500W Shengyi of Aventon are about same loud.

The review here on the Aventon says the motor can get a bit loud? at high speeds. I am curious what 'loud' consists of and if the ride1up would have that issue.

Crazy Lenny's overstock has an izip with only 250w motor. Sounds underpowered for my needs. The crazy deal is a little too beach cruiser and similar specs to aventon.

I would recommend that you learn to ignore the advertised rating for compliance 250W motors and look at the torque rating... 60Nm of torque - YMMV ;)

Ok, so about me.
-I am 5'9"
-About 215lbs
-38yrs old
-Commute would be 16 miles each way. Because of this I am looking for one way to be good exercise and the other the ebike will help
-Southern California (san diego)
-Light hills, some are pretty extended. I believe there are a few short steep grades. My driveway especially is extremely steep
-Commute will be a couple times a week (got a kid and need to pick him up/drop him off with the car some days)

budget is about $1500... maybe I could go up to 2000. Maybe

I was looking hard at the ride1up. The 500 or 700.
Looked at Rad but not sure I love them.
Really liked the sonders stepthrough fold but the 350w motor may be insufficient.
Aventon Pace 500 looked nice too.

Not sure if I want a step through or not.

Hard to go test these things with all that is going on these days.
I have had a (non-electric) trek 7.2 fx for a long time. Used it as my commute bike when my ride was about 10 miles. It's been good but this is a far ride.

I am capable of building some stuff but when it comes to bikes and the thought of safety I am a bit weary. I just don't have the experience with brakes and such that depending on how complex or simple the build is (if it's in a million pieces vs put these sections together) I would perhaps get it checked out.

I would probably consider used too. Or is that something I should stay away from?

Thank you all!

My thread below might help you.

My thread below might help you.

Thank you for the reply. I had been following that thread too. The Fastida looks very nice but a little steep on price even with the deal.

I took some time away from looking at this to let things sink. Well, that and work and kid have kept me quite busy.

The Espin Flow looks interesting as well but seems underpowered.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I had been following that thread too. The Fastida looks very nice but a little steep on price even with the deal.

I took some time away from looking at this to let things sink. Well, that and work and kid have kept me quite busy.

The Espin Flow looks interesting as well but seems underpowered.

I understand what you are saying. I decided to spend a little more now and have less issues down the road so to speak. But I had the funds to do that and I know not everyone does. If not for the Gepida I would have went for the Rize if it wasn't for the great advice I received. It checks all the right boxes for me.

Also look at the Discussion by Brand & User Reviews forums. That will give you some good insight on various ebikes as well.

Can you test ride an Aventon? That would give you an idea of power and noise. If you aren't going to need the benefits of a mid drive makes sense to spend your limited budget on the most bang for the buck. Definitely don't waste your money on a 350W rear hub like the Sondors step thru. You get a lot more value from Ride1Up, Aventon, Rize, etc.

The other forum is helpful but doesn't have some of the newer bikes.

Now I am looking hard at the Rize 2020, Aventon Level. and the Rize X

The Rize 2020 would have the 17aH and torque upgrade.

The Rize X tires are large. Is that meant to be more mountain bike than commuter? Also, weighs 68lbs.

I do feel like I am honing in despite seemingly having new options every other day.

Back