Looking for my First Ebike!

The Rize City or Rize 2020 with the upgraded torque sensing and battery for $1699 wold be the better choice for commuting. Fat tires might give you more traction on the beach but not sure I would get the Rize X for use as a commuter.

Last edited:
The other forum is helpful but doesn't have some of the newer bikes.

Now I am looking hard at the Rize 2020, Aventon Level. and the Rize X

The Rize 2020 would have the 17aH and torque upgrade.

The Rize X tires are large. Is that meant to be more mountain bike than commuter? Also, weighs 68lbs.

I do feel like I am honing in despite seemingly having new options every other day.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of your choices. Personally I don't like the Rize X due to fat tires but that is a personal preference.

Bill H.

I ran some numbers and can stretch my budget a little. the 2k price range is doable. Is the 500W motor on the Rize 2020 enough? I do have some hills. Certainly will have some headwind.

The Aventon is 750W but 60nM torque vs the Rize 2020 at 500W 65nM torque.

I looked at the Gepida Fastida. Not sure I love the look by pictures (for me) and I wonder a little the EBR review says "The ride is a little more on the active side, so make sure that is something you want as there are other commuters that are built more around cruising " not sure if that sentiment would apply to the others as well?

Other suggestions?

Thank you all so much

I strongly recommend the 2018 Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0 on bicycle blue book listed for $1804. It's a 2 year old model, but with only 1 mile on the odometer. I assume no warranty, but it's a much better bike than any of the other bikes mentioned on this thread. The size is also a small, but for your height, it should still be fine.

I tried offering $1000 for the bike, and they countered with $1700. You can probably get it down to $1600.

I ran some numbers and can stretch my budget a little. the 2k price range is doable. Is the 500W motor on the Rize 2020 enough? I do have some hills. Certainly will have some headwind.

The Aventon is 750W but 60nM torque vs the Rize 2020 at 500W 65nM torque.

I looked at the Gepida Fastida. Not sure I love the look by pictures (for me) and I wonder a little the EBR review says "The ride is a little more on the active side, so make sure that is something you want as there are other commuters that are built more around cruising " not sure if that sentiment would apply to the others as well?

Other suggestions?

Thank you all so much

I just purchased a Fastida and love it. But with all mid drive motors you don't move unless you Pedal. I don't know what the review means when they say it's on the more active side, probably the same review I watched. I can send you some live close up pictures if you like. I have it here in my office today.

Bill H.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend the 2018 Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0 on bicycle blue book listed for $1804. It's a 2 year old model, but with only 1 mile on the odometer. I assume no warranty, but it's a much better bike than any of the other bikes mentioned on this thread. The size is also a small, but for your height, it should still be fine.

I tried offering $1000 for the bike, and they countered with $1700. You can probably get it down to $1600.

I agree, the Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0 would be a great bike to have as well and was on my shortlist at one point.

I can't say the Rize X tires for either but I have the Rize Leisure and I'm pretty sure the same tires. I've only rode on city streets and some grassy areas by the house but the tires feel great and you can lower the air pressure if you want.

WOW I just saw the Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0 drop in price. What a difference a week makes. I would look at that bike first.

Last edited:
I can't say the Rize X tires for either but I have the Rize Leisure and I'm pretty sure the same tires. I've only rode on city streets and some grassy areas by the house but the tires feel great and you can lower the air pressure if you want.

WOW I just saw the Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0 drop in price. What a difference a week makes. I would look at that bike first.
That bike's MSRP was around $3000 I believe. Although Rize X is a good bike, you can't really compare for build quality of Haibike.

For the Sduro on that site is it

Why didn't you end up getting it?

I tend to have some reservations on buying a used bike unseen. It does say 1 mile on odometer but subject to change. Also, why would they be selling it at such a low price? Just feels odd to me.

I tend to have some reservations on buying a used bike unseen. It does say 1 mile on odometer but subject to change. Also, why would they be selling it at such a low price? Just feels odd to me.

As the saying goes if it sounds to good to be true it probably is....

I recently bought 2015 Haibike Xduro Urban with 1 mile on odometer. It's an awesome bike. That $1000 offer was just a shot in the dark offer and would have been an impulse buy if they accepted the offer. The bike is being sold by bicycle blue book, not a private party. They have the same bike also listed on ebay as well for $1900.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. Haibikes are top notch German brand well known for their quality. Other bike manufacturers on this thread are all start ups rebranding chinese bikes and selling it in the U.S. with their support.

Bicycle Blue Book is a reputable seller of both new and used bikes. You can't go wrong with the Haibike mentioned previously.
They have a showroom in San Jose, CA and often buy a lot of new, but old-stock bikes from manufacturers with 1 or 2 miles on odometer.

You cannot beat the value on some of the high end Ebikes available at a significant discount... last month a number of EBR members purchased over 30+ BH Bikes on closeout.

PS. I have found that BBB usually accepts an offer around 10% less than their listed price... YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, that clears up the selling portion seeing as the site uses leftover stock and is reputable.

The problem I may have is that I am 5'9" and the frame on that bike is Small. Also, I have size 13 feet. I am a bit worried about hitting panniers (something mentioned in another thread here)
I read several threads on the confusion of Haibike sizing. The Haibike site says Small is 48cm but the blue book site says small is 52cm..... I am confused. Anyone got more clarity?

Annnnd one more thing I would need to look into. it says "Pedals and accessories are not included. ". Does accessories include the charger?

I would go by Haibike's site. Small is probably a borderline fit for 5'9", but you can raise the seat to account for it. Big feet...can't help you there. You're going to have same issues with any bike. :)

I would go by Haibike's site. Small is probably a borderline fit for 5'9", but you can raise the seat to account for it. Big feet...can't help you there. You're going to have same issues with any bike. :)

I worry raising the seat would push me forward too much. Wish this was in a medium

I worry raising the seat would push me forward too much. Wish this was in a medium
I'm 5'10" and the bike I bought is a small as well. I have no issues with the fit. I bought a $20 Stori stem riser to make the stance more comfortable.
1588919661677.png

Well, none of the big name German brands offer throttle. You're going to have to buy China made bike with Bafang motor then. GL.

Yeah, maybe my next time I'll get a non throttle. For now I am looking hard at Aventon Level and Rize 2020 with 17aH and hydraulic brakes.

Back