Looking for input on which bike for a 30 mile commute

Dudeman

I've recently accepted a position with a company that is further from home so I'm looking to get an eBike so that I can commute to work again. I'd prefer to have drop bars because that is what I'm used to commuting on, but I could be persuaded of flat bars. I really hate the numb hand feel I get from flats but I'm curious if a eBike would somehow reduce this. I'm currently torn between 2 bikes, but if you know of others I'd like to know. I've added brief notes about each.

Located in US
~$4k max budget
Commute is about 30 miles round trip some slightly hilly sections, and I'll be riding with cars almost the whole way. Distance could increase due to the company moving office buildings in the next couple years.
This bike will be a dedicated commuter. Weekend and group riding will still be done with my traditional road bike.

Trek Crossrip+ Link to Trek
  • $4,100 Local shop said they could probably sell it for as low as $3800 for the floor model (unknown amount of miles on it)
  • I've test road this bike and it felt great to ride.
  • SRAM Force
  • Comes with rack & fenders
  • There's a good amount of Trek stores in my city, one being an official Trek store.
  • Bosch motor
  • Appears on EBR review and one of the best road bike style eBikes
  • I own a Crossrip Comp that I love. So I give myself imaginary bonus points for sticking to the Crossrip line.
Giant ToughRoad GX E+ Link to Giant
  • $3800
  • Dealer didn't have one stock so I haven't test rode it. Shop would have to order one for me. (I plan to go back to ride a Quick E+ flatbar mostly to try out the Yamaha motor)
  • SRAM Apex which is a lower groupset than the Crossrip but is a 2x11 while the Crossrip is a 1x11.
  • Decent number of Giant dealers in my area
  • Yamaha Motor
  • 50c tires, larger than Crossrip
  • Does not have an EBR review
  • No racks, fenders
  • The owner of the shop I would order his from is a great guy. The Giant gets a few bonus points because I like the shop, and that's what they sell.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate everyone's 2 cents.

For commuting purposes, situational awareness is critical to survival riding amid automobiles. A more upright ride position allows for better visual fields both front and back with more direct lines of sight. I would strongly recommend a flat or modified flat handlebar with Ergotec ergonomic grips to minimize the numbness you referred to.

Another recommendation is to go with a class 3 high speed/28 mph - It is much easier and safer moving through and with traffic if you are able to keep a speed close to that of the surrounding vehicles.

All that said, you should give the Trek Supecommuter+ 8s a try. It is an awesome bike and might be a very good fit for your situation. https://electricbikereview.com/trek/super-commuter-plus-8s/

trek-super-commuter-plus-8s-1200x800-c-default.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I agree the increased visibly of an upright is appealing. I've been hit by a car once while commuting, and would definitely like to prevent that from happening again, haha. I think a 28mph limit would also help increase safety by having power when I need it.

I have considered a Super Commuter, or similar Juiced bike because the Trek SC is a little out of my price range. My worry is if I get an upright I end up regretfully missing the ability to hammer down drop bars. I don't see myself owning multiple ebikes so I'm trying to find a bombproof solution.

I ended up riding way more than I thought I would when I started out...6,200 miles in my first year. I still have a car but use it mostly to take my bike places ;) Given that you are talking about a daily commute here, it would be wise to stretch your budget for a better bike with stronger local warranty service and better specs. Every day you ride you will be glad you dug a little deeper. I sure am.

I've recently accepted a position with a company that is further from home so I'm looking to get an eBike so that I can commute to work again. I'd prefer to have drop bars because that is what I'm used to commuting on, but I could be persuaded of flat bars. I really hate the numb hand feel I get from flats but I'm curious if a eBike would somehow reduce this. I'm currently torn between 2 bikes, but if you know of others I'd like to know. I've added brief notes about each.

Located in US
~$4k max budget
Commute is about 30 miles round trip some slightly hilly sections, and I'll be riding with cars almost the whole way. Distance could increase due to the company moving office buildings in the next couple years.
This bike will be a dedicated commuter. Weekend and group riding will still be done with my traditional road bike.

• $4,100 Local shop said they could probably sell it for as low as $3800 for the floor model (unknown amount of miles on it)
  • SRAM Force
  • There's a good amount of Trek stores in my city, one being an official Trek store.
  • Bosch motor
  • I own a Crossrip Comp that I love. So I give myself imaginary bonus points for sticking to the Crossrip line.
  • $3800
  • Dealer didn't have one stock so I haven't test rode it. Shop would have to order one for me. (I plan to go back to ride a Quick E+ flatbar mostly to try out the Yamaha motor)
  • SRAM Apex which is a lower groupset than the Crossrip but is a 2x11 while the Crossrip is a 1x11.
  • Yamaha Motor
  • No racks, fenders
  • The owner of the shop I would order his from is a great guy. The Giant gets a few bonus points because I like the shop, and that's what they sell.
Whatever you choose will be great.

Located in US
~$4k max budget

• SRAM Force
  • Bosch motor
  • $3800
  • Yamaha Motor
  • No racks, fenders

That’s a great commute. I’m sure whatever you choose will be fabulous. I only have a couple safety features to add on to the bike. You may already be using these so disregard if so.
- A good mirror. It really helps in traffic, especially in a wind and you can’t hear cars from behind.
- A bright butt-kicking light. Drivers will underestimate your speed and may potentially pull out in front. It helps to be seen.
There. That’s my 2 cents.
Looking forward to a photo of your new ride. ??‍♀️

<<I still have a car but use it mostly to take my bike places>>

Bravo! I hope to heaven that I can get my hitch rack back on the car in the next couple of weeks and get busy again! Still snow all over the freaking place around here, and the roads are just too dangerous with everyone staring at their cell phones instead of where the hell they're going. Two somewhat close calls last year, this year I am going to try to be damn near exclusively on paths and trails. They're all still under ice and crust, but we have some forty degree plus days coming.

Oh yeah, and more to the point, it's hard to argue with a Super Commuter for bombproof. The 7 version is in your budget, but is a 20mph rig instead of the faster 28... still has the same 11-42 gear spread, which is very versatile, but across 10 speeds instead of 11. No negative there. As for the 1x11 vs 2x11, one less derailleur and such to worry about, and these things really don't need a million gears as long as you have the climbing gear (which a 42 on a Trek is, absolutely) and a good spread to the top.

I think if you're going to buy one of the two, the CrossRip+ is the bike you want. Fender and rear rack included are a nice touch. With my own experiences in commuting, I have gone about 10k miles in the past 2.5 years, the Bosch motor system is very reliable.

Another option that you might want to consider is DIY. I ended up doing a semi-DIY commuter setup to supplement my Bosch powered bike. This DIY bike was based off a JuicedBike HF1000 that I rewired with a new controller. I found that with daily life, 2 kids, full time job, and not enough sleep, the DIY bike was a lifesaver because I could infinitely customize the pedal assist modes and have throttle on days where I was just too tired for the Bosch powered bike. There's also the benefit of running higher power levels to obtain higher speeds. In my opinion this is almost a necessity when riding with or around traffic. Some might disagree with me about running top speeds higher than a standard class 3, but going with the speed of traffic or close to it feels a lot safer to me than having a large speed differential.

Lastly, maintaining 28mph on any big box drive system, Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, etc. is not sustainable over a long distance. What the bike store won't tell you is the assistance will start to taper off around 26.5/27mph.

<<I still have a car but use it mostly to take my bike places>>

Bravo! I hope to heaven that I can get my hitch rack back on the car in the next couple of weeks and get busy again! Still snow all over the freaking place around here, and the roads are just too dangerous with everyone staring at their cell phones instead of where the hell they're going. Two somewhat close calls last year, this year I am going to try to be damn near exclusively on paths and trails. They're all still under ice and crust, but we have some forty degree plus days coming.
So in agreement on the phone problem. All these drivers texting instead of watching the roads.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Oh yeah, and more to the point, it's hard to argue with a Super Commuter for bombproof. The 7 version is in your budget, but is a 20mph rig instead of the faster 28... still has the same 11-42 gear spread, which is very versatile, but across 10 speeds instead of 11.

I keep telling myself if I decide on a Super Commuter I would have to go with the 8 over the 7 just because I would kick myself later for not going all-in. The big question is, if I went that route would my sanity last until I have the extra cash put aside for the 8? Bike commuting to work means a lot to me and each day I commute via car bums me out more and more.

- A good mirror. It really helps in traffic, especially in a wind and you can’t hear cars from behind.
- A bright butt-kicking light. Drivers will underestimate your speed and may potentially pull out in front. It helps to be seen.
I've already got a set of great lights but you're right- I should invest in a good mirror. My new route to work will have me riding closely with more metal maniacs than previously.

I have gone about 10k miles in the past 2.5 years, the Bosch motor system is very reliable.
I spent some free time yesterday doing some Yamaha v. Bosch research. Although both seem like great platforms the Bosch seems to selling extremely well. It's gained my attention for sure.

Located in US
~$4k max budget

• SRAM Force
  • Bosch motor
  • $3800
  • Yamaha Motor
  • No racks, fenders

I think Trek Cross Rip+ is a great bike. Trek SC 8+ is even better but is it worth $1200 premium. I don't think so. Considering the motor and the battery are exactly the same and Cross Rip+ is 7lbs lighter.
It is designed for a rider just like you.

Considering you are getting local support and for $3800. You could install a slightly up-right stem and make it more of an endurance geometry vs aero road bike geometry.
If I were you, I would get the Cross Rip+, I would get the two of the Big Ben Plus 1.75 or 2" tires for $50, https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod154936
Use another $200 for Kinectpost seatpost:

If I were you, I would get the Cross Rip+, I would get the two of the Big Ben Plus 1.75 or 2" tires for $50

At this point I'm leaning toward the Crossrip, I didn't really look at tire clearance when I test road the bike and can't find much online but these look like they'll add quite a bit of comfort to the ride. Thanks for the suggestion!

I thought I would miss my drop bars and to a slight degree I do. You will get used to a more upright ride. Personally, I find it more comfortable. You are right about the numbness. For me, it is only an issue after 45 min or so.

28 mph is the way to go. I have both and the 20 mph limit is a drag when you are trying to get to work. For all practical purposes, 28 is a Max, not the average cruising speed. Even in the high 20's people will break their neck to get around you, especially on the commute home.

About riding that traditional bike on the weekends; I thought the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I still ride it, but more and more while I ride it I am questioning why I'm not on my ebike. Maybe it's just me because sometimes while on my ebike commute I'm questioning why I'm not in my car!

Be sure to get a mirror.

Located in US
~$4k max budget

• SRAM Force
  • Bosch motor
  • $3800
  • Yamaha Motor
  • No racks, fenders
Give the Fth Power X-2 F Fatbike (fthpower.com) a good look ! It's Under your Budget at $2k and the Best part is ... 2 Batteries !! Each one is 48volts@ 11.2 Ah. With a range of about 60 miles, there's a Rack available too for about $50 ??

As a serious acoustic bike rider, I suspect you will be far more satisfied with a center hub electric assist bike with a shimano, brose or bosch motor than you will with a throttle operated, hub driven ebike from China. They are attractively priced but do not offer the kind of "natural", integrated-with-the-rider feel of a center driven bike. Best to ride both and see which feels right for you.

As a serious acoustic bike rider, I suspect you will be far more satisfied with a center hub electric assist bike with a shimano, brose or bosch motor than you will with a throttle operated, hub driven ebike from China. They are attractively priced but do not offer the kind of "natural", integrated-with-the-rider feel of a center driven bike. Best to ride both and see which feels right for you.
FYI, the Fth Power X2 is Built in California !! It's Also 750 - 900 Watts ! It Does 25Mph on throttle alone, so it's No Slouch ! Court Just did a Great Review on this Beast !

For dropbar ebikes your options are somewhat limited. From the two, although I like though road a lot, I think Crossrip is the better option because of high speed mid drive, fenders, rack etc. It is quite a complete bike for commuting.

And I don't see how super commuter is superior to croossrip. It is way way overpriced for a non suspension flat bar bike, heavy, no dual battery or anything that would justify the ridiculous asking price. Moreover drop bars is usually add $300+ to the cost of the bike bike. If you wanna go flat bars and don't mind buying online have a look at Raleigh lore. Fantastic bike with a good front fork and the same bosch system for less than half the price of a SC.

Last edited:
For dropbar ebikes your options are somewhat limited. From the two, although I like though road a lot, I think Crossrip is the better option because of high speed mid drive, fenders, rack etc. It is quite a complete bike for commuting.

And I don't see how super commuter is superior to croossrip. It is way way overpriced for a non suspension flat bar bike, heavy, no dual battery or anything that would justify the ridiculous asking price. Moreover drop bars is usually add $300+ to the cost of the bike bike. If you wanna go flat bars and don't mind buying online have a look at Raleigh lore. Fantastic bike with a good front fork and the same bosch system for less than half the price of a SC.

I'm in the same boat. I think the Super Commuter is very well designed and, if money were no option I'd proabably own both :D. But I like the multiple hand positions fo the Crossrip+ dropbar, and since I own a traditional Crossrip already the bike feels familiar, heavier, but faster.

In a Bicycling article about the Crossrip+ I just read they raised a point that is the first I have seen from a publication that pretty much sums up why I choose to isolate my human input drive from the motor drive, I use a front hub motor drop bar bike, and don't use any PAS but a throttle with a cruise control function:

"One thing that experienced cyclists might find a bit frustrating to adapt to is getting in sync with the motor when riding out of the saddle, “It’s very difficult to get the motor surge timed to your pedal stroke,” said one tester. Most e-bike motors provide their best experience when the rider is seated and pedals with a high, consistent cadence, so this isn’t a knock against the CrossRip+ specifically. But the CrossRip+ is so suited to longer and varied rides that it’s inevitable that the rider will be doing standing climbing with it, which magnifies the motor’s shortcoming in this situation."

For me not only out of the saddle pedaling feels epileptic but also having to maintain a high consistent cadence that is based on the level of assist that the software has dictated is annoying and unnatural. While riding I find myself varying my pedal cadence/input incrementally constantly whether on assist or not due to terrain, cornering, change in wind direction etc.. This is what feels most natural to me and I find that any PAS, no matter how refined, doesn't work for me. When I was doing my 26 mile one way commutes last year I could make it door to door in 45 minutes with a mixture of country road, wide shoulder highway and 8 miles of city roads and always arrived feeling like I had been on a good bike ride but not overworked.

However I use Torque Sensing PAS mid drive on my eMTB because at the lower cadences I use to create more torque to the rear wheel in lower gear ratio's associated with mtb riding. Although I still have a throttle on my eMTB I only use it for starting off or the odd blip to help with momentum in a difficult pedaling situation. I have learned a method of riding that keeps the PAS engaged while not rotating the cranks so that there is instant engagement once I do start pedaling again that is more useful than reaching for the throttle anyway but won't own an eBike without one.

I'm in the same boat. I think the Super Commuter is very well designed and, if money were no option I'd proabably own both :D. But I like the multiple hand positions fo the Crossrip+ dropbar, and since I own a traditional Crossrip already the bike feels familiar, heavier, but faster.

Since you like your non-electric crossrip so much I think this will be a lot of fun for you. You will be faster on your ebike hence you will probably appreciate the dropbar even more(when I am commuting there are times that I wish I had a dropbar).

In terms of SC, you think it is good probably because this is your first time shopping for an ebike. I remember first time I saw supercommuter and I have to say it looks beautiful. Unfortunately looks does not mean "good design". This price may have been justified 3-4 years ago but not now.

This bicycle is actually full of flaws. At the price of 5200!!! you are getting no suspension whatsoever, only 500wh battery with no dual battery option, a derailleur instead of an igh.

For that price you can get a VERY nice full suspension mtb with Bosch CX system with a great groupset(just as good if not better than supercommuter's) and high quality suspension. Take Trek's own Powerfly 7 which is sold at the same price. Bosch CX is just a speed restricted slightly modified version of the Bosch speed system. Just the suspension components will be close to $1000, it has a FS frame which is again significantly more expensive than the frame of Super commuter. For everything else, again Powerfly is just as good if not better.

So instead of a FS ebike with better components you are being presented with a flat fitness bike with beefy tires. Sorry there is nothing good about this design expect the cool red color and the looks in general.

Because it does not have any suspension you won't be taking it to trails or country roads. Because it does not have an igh you will have to deal with lots of cleaning especially in the snow. Well I don't see how this bike is any better than most of the similar mid drive bikes in the 2-2.5K range.

SC is marketed as if it is a fast sporty bike(and they are trying to justify the asking price because of that) this is outright false. It is just another no suspension bike with the bosch speed system, not faster or more reliable...

Now if they redesign it with a dual battery setup, put a high quality igh like rohloff with belt drive, option to upgrade for a suspension fork then it will be a different story...

Back