Looking for foldable ebikes for family...

Deaf Gryphon

Hellos all and greets, Gryphon here. I’m a brand new member here and have been pouring over bike reviews and makes and videos, leaving my brain swimming.

About me, I’m a disabled retired truck driver that has bad knees, but looking for bikes for me, wife and 15 old daughter.
I will need folding bikes preferred, and we will be carrying them in our Toyota Sienna minivan.

I had narrowed my choices to 3 bikes. The Brompton Ebike, Blix Lightning.. (forgot the right name of it, it’s the low downtube one...)
And the GoCycle.

I love the looks of each, wife likes the clean GoCycle with the hidden chain. I was mainly wondering of the biggest issues between the GoCycle and the Brompton, as the Blix seems very stone solid. I know the Brompton had some ebike issues with the electrics and motors, but the GoCycle had an issue where another purchaser had issues with two bikes they purchased at almost $8000 total that are now useless in his garage with no way to repair them. (Look it up in the GoCycle sub forum...)

Id like to be assured if anything goes wrong after a purchase, I wouldn’t be stranded with paperweights costing $8000.00. I would be just a little upset... 🤬😱

Thank you all and God Bless...
Deaf Gryphon <><

Attachments

• E84EB8DD-6350-4B16-B0E1-00252DCC14F3.png
    E84EB8DD-6350-4B16-B0E1-00252DCC14F3.png
    617.2 KB · Views: 322
Budget is an important factor. You can get a Blix folder (which I have) for half the price of an electric Brompton (I have the Grin kit with a regular Brompton). But I've found their use cases to be very different. Both are solid choices, in my opinion.

Can't speak on the GoCyle, but I can answer any questions you may have about the Blix or a converted electric Brompton.

Have you checked out Tern? Solid company, good warranty and a pretty good dealer network (they have a dealer locator on their website). Also some models (both electric and non) are available thru REI.

the GoCycle had an issue where another purchaser had issues with two bikes they purchased at almost $8000 total that are now useless in his garage with no way to repair them. (Look it up in the GoCycle sub forum...)

Hi Gryphon, I expect you mean this commenter? The US-spec GoCycle models reviewed on this EBR site have always stated a 20mph top speed. This commenter claims he bought his bikes advertized with a 40kmh/25mph speed which I highly doubt, he further claimed this was limited back down to EU spec 25kmh/15.5mph after he updated the GoCycle Connect phone app. Sorry but this does not ring true, the GoCycle has never been sold in the US as a Class 3 ebike, it is a Class 2 with a throttle and 20mph top speed.

GoCycle is a good choice, light for a folding ebike at 40lb, the GX model is the one to get because it is a proper folding ebike unlike the other models that require you to remove the wheels, 3-speed internally geared hub makes it simple to ride, quality Panasonic battery. The only issue I can think of might be that some US jurisdictions require a speedo visible to the rider to legally operate an ebike, so depending on your local laws you might need to fit an aftermarket speedo or mount your phone on the handlebar and use the app speedo.

Brompton Electric had some early teething issues, fixed with firmware updates, a new model should be fine. The company is betting the farm on going electric so they will work with you - Brompton's US dealers tend to be better customer service bike shops, at least the one's local to me that stock them are. Brompton Electric weighs 36-39lb depending on options so is lighter than the GoCycle GX. I think Brompton might be a Class 1 without a throttle and with rim brakes rather than disks, but it is the most compact when folded.

Blix Vika+ seems to be a decent budget-priced alternative but is 15-19lb heavier than either the GoCycle or Brompton and uses a basic cadence pedal assist sensor rather than the more bicycle-like torque sensors fitted to the GoCycle or Brompton.

If you're looking for a US brand to compete with the British GoCycle or Brompton you might look at Bike Friday's ebike conversions. Some Bike Friday's fold like the e-pakiT model (30lb), others use a frame break like the new Ever-E-Day model (36lb).

Last edited:
...looking for bikes for me, wife and 15 old daughter.
I will need folding bikes preferred, and we will be carrying them in our Toyota Sienna minivan.

Getting three folders into the Sienna, plus 3 passengers (and baggage), narrows the universe of options. A rear tail hitch bike rack, for a couple hundred bucks, would allow you to consider full-frame options, store them when dirty, and maybe save some total cost money as well. Also, whatever you look at, check for USB recharging for your 15 year old's phone.

Hellos all and greets, Gryphon here. I’m a brand new member here and have been pouring over bike reviews and makes and videos, leaving my brain swimming. About me, I’m a disabled retired truck driver that has bad knees, but looking for bikes for me, wife and 15 old daughter. I will need folding bikes preferred, and we will be carrying them in our Toyota Sienna minivan.

I had narrowed my choices to 3 bikes. The Brompton Ebike, Blix Lightning.. (forgot the right name of it, it’s the low downtube one...) And the GoCycle.

I love the looks of each, wife likes the clean GoCycle with the hidden chain. I was mainly wondering of the biggest issues between the GoCycle and the Brompton, as the Blix seems very stone solid. I know the Brompton had some ebike issues with the electrics and motors, but the GoCycle had an issue where another purchaser had issues with two bikes they purchased at almost $8000 total that are now useless in his garage with no way to repair them. (Look it up in the GoCycle sub forum...) Id like to be assured if anything goes wrong after a purchase, I wouldn’t be stranded with paperweights costing $8000.00. I would be just a little upset... 🤬😱

Thank you all and God Bless... Deaf Gryphon <><

Take a look at the EF3... with a Brand name E5000 Shimano mid-drive motor and interchangeable battery for $1600.

I've had good luck with the value and quality of BD over the years and you could get a set of 3 for under $4,800. ;)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...icycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm

1581968107376.png

Last edited:
Back