Looking for feedback on a few models

GOGIANTSFAN11

Hi All,
New to ebikes but after spending time in Ireland a couple weeks ago and renting these I knew I had to get one.
Bad knees, 48 female looking for comfort cruise. We have a 46 mile rail trail in my town I can go to all the time. But, would like to take the bike to places like block island, Martha vineyard etc and just to be able to keep up with my husband (not on an ebike)
This weekend I drove all around(impossible to find stores in my area that carry them in stock to try) .I rode the Specialized Como ( did not like it) Gazzelle NL ( loved it but too heavy for me) Magnum Metro( too much kick for me) Electra Townie 8D! ( my favorite so far but did not seem like it had enough kick ) . Hoping to drive to CT tomorrow and try out the Raleigh Retroglide and maybe the Blix Aveny. Want to stay below 2500. Any thoughts any on these or any others I should take a look at. Thanks.

All the bikes you tried/are test riding look good for your needs, and your budget is fine. Were you looking to ride the full 46 miles (and back?) battery size becomes an issue for distances over 30-40 miles depending on the power of your model of ebike. If you're keen on any one of the models you listed, Court has done video reviews of most of them on this website, and there are brand specific forums here if you want to ask questions of current owners.

Regarding the Gazelle NL, if possible can the dealer get other models in for this brand? The Gazelle Medeo T9 is lighter than the NL model by almost 13lb, it is a Class 1 pedelec though - if you want a throttle the Magnum, Raleigh, and Blix have them.

My wife just got the Retroglide Royale 2.0 step through from Raleigh with the Bosh system. She absolutely loves it. The bike has 47 miles on it and 3 bars left on the battery. This is the original charge from the bike shop. She rides a lot with no assist on flats to turbo up hills. The bike is comfortable and easy to ride.

Mark - thanks its great to hear she loves it. Do you know the difference between the Royale and just the 2.0 step thru. I have to drive 2 hours tomorrow to find someone with a Raleigh to test out.. They just have the 2.0 one.

Dewey, yes, I would like to ride the full 46 miles at times but I think I am ok since a lot of it is flat and will just that help in certain areas. I am fine without the throttle I will have to see about the Medeo. Thanks.

The 2.0 has the stronger motor and bigger battery. 500 versus the 400. So it is more expensive. She opted for the 2.0 for the bigger battery so she can ride farther. But after seeing how far she can go on a charge and saying the motor is very strong, I think she would have been happy with the IE model as well.

Thanks Mark.
I also notice there is a Pedego Bike place I can make a trip too. Is their comfort cruiser in line with the other bikes I have been looking at?

I also notice there is a Pedego Bike place I can make a trip too. Is their comfort cruiser in line with the other bikes I have been looking at?

Pedego's Comfort Cruiser (36v) and Interceptor (48v) models both offer a longer range 15ah battery option. They are Class 2 ebikes with a throttle. Check with the dealer if they both have pedal assist, as the first gen Comfort Cruiser was throttle only according to Court's review on this website, the Interceptor has always had pedal assist as well as a throttle.

Thanks Dewey. Did not know that. I will check, I don't want throttle only.

I called Pedego just now and was told the Comfort Cruiser remains throttle only, so you would need to test ride their Interceptor model to get pedal assist as well.

I called Pedego just now and was told the Comfort Cruiser remains throttle only, so you would need to test ride their Interceptor model to get pedal assist as well.
Thanks. Its a bit over my price range. So, I guess I will go back to the group I started with.

.I rode the ... Gazzelle NL ( loved it but too heavy for me)

It sounds like you liked the feel of the Bosch motor. One bike you might try is the Trek Verve+. (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rid-bikes/verve/verve/p/17470/?colorCode=blue) It is available in both a low and high step, uses the Bosch active line motor, costs $2400 (one of the lowest prices for a Bosch system), and only weighs 45lbs instead of the 59lbs that the Gazelle NL weighs.

I ended up buying the Gazelle myself (an Arroyo) but could have just as easily bought the Verve.

It sounds like you liked the feel of the Bosch motor. One bike you might try is the Trek Verve+. (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rid-bikes/verve/verve/p/17470/?colorCode=blue) It is available in both a low and high step, uses the Bosch active line motor, costs $2400 (one of the lowest prices for a Bosch system), and only weighs 45lbs instead of the 59lbs that the Gazelle NL weighs.

I ended up buying the Gazelle myself (an Arroyo) but could have just as easily bought the Verve.
Thanks, the place I am going to tomorrow has this bike in stock to try .
Are there every any deals on ebikes? They all seem to be the same price no matter who you buy from.

Are there every any deals on ebikes? They all seem to be the same price no matter who you buy from.

Raleigh have a sale on at the moment with a few models in the $1500-1600 range, Izip are a parallel brand offering the same models at a similar price point. If you have a dealer near you that can get them in the new Aventon Pace 350 is well equipped for its $1,000 price, review.

For budget priced ebikes you mentioned Blix already. Dick’s sells Schwinn ebikes. Genze (reviewed on here, assembled in Michigan, small battery pack but light and cheap enough you can afford to buy and carry a spare) sell their refurbished ebikes for $700-1100. The cheapest budget ebikes from sellers on Walmart (Nakto, Hyper), Amazon (Ancheer), BikesDirect.com, require assembly by a bike shop, and quality varies. If going down the mail order path it does open up additional brands like RadPower, Ariel Rider, Juiced, etc.

Last edited:
Drove a couple hours today and rode the Trex Verve+, IZIP, Raleigh Retroglide IE and the Electra Townie. I still prefer the weight and the the feel of the Townie but again I am worried about the kick. Retroglide was my next favorite and it had way more kick then the Townie. So, still undecided. One more store in NJ has the blix aveny I guess I will go there tomorrow and hope maybe that has everything I need. Thanks again.

Drove a couple hours today and rode the Trex Verve+, IZIP, Raleigh Retroglide IE and the Electra Townie. I still prefer the weight and the the feel of the Townie but again I am worried about the kick. Retroglide was my next favorite and it had way more kick then the Townie. So, still undecided. One more store in NJ has the blix aveny I guess I will go there tomorrow and hope maybe that has everything I need. Thanks again.

Congrats on your dedicated and patient search. Can’t wait to see your decision.

Congrats on your dedicated and patient search. Can’t wait to see your decision.
LOL, my family thinks I am totally insane.
Well, after driving two hours to the store they tell me oh we have it but not put together.. are you kidding me? I called. So, I rode a Blix Sol instead and got to ride the townie again this time up hills. Although I made it up the hill it was with effort . Did some more research and found there is a bosch motor mid drive + which has more kick then the regular Bosch mid drive. So, off to the Bershire in MA tomorrow to look at the Gazelle Medeo.

I am picking up my Electra Townie Commute Go tomorrow! Very excited! Good luck in your search!
I just noticed that Commute go has a different motor. Have you rode the Commute Go and the basic Townie ? If so is there a difference in "help" it gives you?

I didn't notice a difference, but I wasn't looking at that as much as the comfort of riding the bike. I have looked at the Bosch motor website and it breaks down the different motors and specs. I would go there and check it out. There is alot of good information on the site. The performance line motor has more torque that the active line. Good luck!

Back