Looking at Giant Lafree E+2

Negative reaction from the dealer partly started it all. My enthusiasm for a bike overshadowed my brain! The Trek dealer is a mile away and they have been extraordinary in helping me tweak the bike, come to my home and pick the bike up(no charge) to fix the flats, lights, seat, bags, clothing and bike rack. All would have gone to the Giant dealer if they had properly gone over the bike with me, responded to my questions and handled a special order on a timely manner. I spent a third of the bike at the Trek store. The Specialized Como 4.0 or 3.0 were my first choices. The Trek Verve + was also a choice that I overlooked. I believe a local dealer is an extremely important part of buying an e-bike. I know Trek dealers are excellent and the dealers that only sell Specialized bikes are as well. Good luck. Please take your time and try all of them before you buy.

Negative reaction from the dealer partly started it all. My enthusiasm for a bike overshadowed my brain! The Trek dealer is a mile away and they have been extraordinary in helping me tweak the bike, come to my home and pick the bike up(no charge) to fix the flats, lights, seat, bags, clothing and bike rack. All would have gone to the Giant dealer if they had properly gone over the bike with me, responded to my questions and handled a special order on a timely manner. I spent a third of the bike at the Trek store. The Specialized Como 4.0 or 3.0 were my first choices. The Trek Verve + was also a choice that I overlooked. I believe a local dealer is an extremely important part of buying an e-bike. I know Trek dealers are excellent and the dealers that only sell Specialized bikes are as well. Good luck. Please take your time and try all of them before you buy.
Fortunately, my local dealer (Skagit Cycles) sells both Trek and Giant - they've been great answering questions and not pressuring me to make a quick decision!

I've also been looking at the Aventon Pace 350, but am concerned about the type of hub motor they use.

Yes yes I know this is a Lafree forum... I'll confine my future general questions too the general forum 😉.

You are lucky to have a dealer like Skagit in your area. I think the sales networks, support and responses from Trek and Specialized is better than Giants. I sent a question directly to Giant and it took over a week to get a response. Trek and Specialized respond quickly. Don't know anything about Aventon but if Skagit sells it I doubt you would have any issues. I would definitely go with a Trek based on my experience with my dealer but you don't have that problem.

Is there any issue removing the rear wheel (like to change a flat) with a belt drive?

Google / You Tube ................ it's all out there.

Craig :cool:

I looked at my wife's LaFree 1. Seems where the derailleur dropout would be has 3 bolts you would remove to open the frame to change the belt so that should be pretty easy. Many motorcycles have gone from chains to belts so I think at some point if they can figure out better internal hub gearing, the chain and derailleur will go the way of rim brakes.

Back