Looking at Electra Loft Go -- but getting lost down the online rabbit hole.

XyloSesame

Hello all, I'm brand new here and to ebikes, and am looking to make my first purchase very soon; I have some questions before my wife and I invest what is, to us, a considerable amount of money.

My wife currently rides an old Trek 7100 WSD step through. The gearing on this bike has been an issue for her since day-one. It has a SRAM rear derailleur and, no matter what level of service, it never work smoothly and will often push the chain right off of the ring. Typically she will find a gear that will settle smoothly and never shift for fear of the clackclackclackthunk.

I stopped by our LBS looking for a bike for me, and the new pedelecs really caught my eye for her. We went back to our LBS the next day and she fell in love with the Electra Loft Go. It has a Nexus internal gear hub that removes all issues (and fears) that she has riding her current bike. Now she's dreaming of longer rides and commuting -- we're only max 3mi (one way) from work, groceries, and entertainment.

One:
Neither of us are in the best of shape any more. We're both late 40s and overweight (+230#) and she has a replacement hip from a previous motorcycle accident. I'm guessing routes will be primarily on-road with slight inclines and the occasional moderate incline. Will 40Nm torque in the Bosch Active be adequate for her?

Two A:
Outside of what I would consider niche bikes, I don't see too many with IGH. There are recent articles about possibilities, new models, and exotics, but not too many production bikes using them. Is there something we should look at as a "traditional" derailleur alternative to the Loft's Shimano IGH? Or should we even bother? We've got Trek, Giant, Pedego, and IZIP locally.

Two B:
I'm not afraid to take my chances with an online ship-to-door bike, but I am hesitant to use this method for my wife. I haven't quite found anything that ticks the boxes like the Loft Go at the $3k price point -- step through, standard with racks, supereasy to shift. Is there something else we should at least consider?

Appreciate any thoughts, and thanks!

One: I'm guessing routes will be primarily on-road with slight inclines and the occasional moderate incline. Will 40Nm torque in the Bosch Active be adequate for her?

A: Yes, for the terrain you're describing.

Two A:
She fell in love with the Electra Loft Go. It has a Nexus internal gear hub...Is there something we should look at as a "traditional" derailleur alternative to the Loft's Shimano IGH? Or should we even bother? We've got Trek, Giant, Pedego, and IZIP locally.

A: Try a Pedego cruiser, they are Class 2 ebikes with a throttle and derailleur. If you don't have an IGH you can't shift gear when stationary which makes a throttle useful to get going if you stop in too high a gear, an IGH removes that concern.

Two B:
at the $3k price point -- step through, standard with racks, supereasy to shift. Is there something else we should at least consider?

A: As you have indicated a preference for local bike shop support try out the Giant LaFree E+1 (note the E+2 model has a derailleur so ask to test ride the E+1 model with an IGH), Giant uses a Yamaha motor with 60nm torque more powerful then the Electra Loft's Bosch Active Line motor. In addition some other step through ebikes with an IGH available in the US under $3,000 include the Gazelle EasyFlow & last year's model Gazelle Arroyo should be on sale, Cube Elly Cruise Hybrid, Kalkhoff Agattu, Gepida Reptila, Evelo Galaxy ST Premium, Benelli Classica ($1500 from Home Depot, but a basic front hub motor), Ariel Rider M Class, and the EProdigy Banff.

Last edited:
Try a Pedego cruiser, they are Class 2 ebikes with a throttle and derailleur
I'm hoping we'll have the chance to try a Pedego this week. The idea of a throttle makes me both curious and hesitant; my daily is a PTW, so a bicycle with throttle twists my head a bit.

$3,000 include the Gazelle EasyFlow & last year's model Gazelle Arroyo should be on sale, Cube Elly Cruise Hybrid, Kalkhoff Agattu, Gepida Reptila, Evelo Galaxy ST Premium, Benelli Classica ($1500 from Home Depot, but a basic front hub motor), Ariel Rider M Class, and the EProdigy Banff.
Wow, I must have missed the filter or advanced search to help locate based on component! With the exception of the Binelli and Ariel, these all sit around the same price point as the Electra Loft -- do any offer a strong argument to consider above the Electra? Is there a specific criteria (or component) that should stand out to me when reviewing specs for comparison?

I have to say, as a person in my early 60’s with back issues, and not in the best of shape, I think it’s really important that you try out bikes, take your time, and make sure that you and your wife can easily get on and off the bike, as well as start and stop. You’ll be riding a LOT more, because you enjoy riding so much, and feeling confident getting on and off the bike, as well as starting and stopping in traffic, will greatly increase your enjoyment.
I bought a Raleigh Lore, which I tried out once before I bought. It ended up the seat was the wrong height when I bought it, and needed to be much higher. I love love love the bike, but it’s always a struggle getting on and off it, and starting and stopping is getting better, but still... I might have been better off with something like the Townie Go or Loft.
You will have a lot more fun with a bike that’s easy to negotiate.

Wow, I must have missed the filter or advanced search to help locate based on component!

This site doesn't have that search feature, it's just I'm a bit of an anorak/geek about step through ebikes and have been contributing to the step through thread on here when I see one I like the look of. When I found out how useful an IGH was I paid my local bike shop to convert my previous derailleur bike, I've since swapped the motor over to a Breezer Downtown 8 the bike in my avatar which is a step through with an IGH.

do any offer a strong argument to consider above the Electra? Is there a specific criteria (or component) that should stand out to me when reviewing specs for comparison?

I'd look at battery size & voltage (= range), motor torque rating (= power), whether it comes in several frame sizes/wheel size (= best fit), local shop support (or a supplier with a good stock of spares), weight of the bike, and ability to upgrade or fit accessories that can be added later. I'd look at the tooth count of the chain ring and if a derailleur bike the gear range of the cassette or if an IGH bike the gear range of the hub eg Nexus 8 307% > Nexus 7 245% (the wider the range the better for climbing hills at low speed). Whether it has a pedal assist torque sensor or a cadence sensor and throttle.

Last edited:
When I found out how useful an IGH was I paid my local bike shop to convert my previous derailleur bike
Well heck, it looks like I might be in the right place, then. My wife really liked the IGH on the Loft. So much of this is personal preference, but is there any rational need to compare the IGH to a traditional derailleur if one is preferred without having experience with the other?

You’ll be riding a LOT more, because you enjoy riding so much, and feeling confident getting on and off the bike, as well as starting and stopping in traffic, will greatly increase your enjoyment.
That's what we're hoping, too. What is currently a short ride will hopefully become quite longer and more often. And neither of us are getting any younger :)

That's what we're hoping, too. What is currently a short ride will hopefully become quite longer and more often. And neither of us are getting any younger :)
I just rode 10 miles today- I used to ride a Trek Pure analog bike maybe 2-3 miles at a time. I’m now riding 6-8 miles a day, with one longer (15 mile) ride a week. I haven’t ridden so much since my 20’s.

Hello,
If you buy the bike at REI you get 10% back in dividends that you can use to buy stuff or receive a check for that amount. You will have to wait a year, but that would be a nice savings. We bought a Electra Townie go8 there for my wife, and have been pleased with the bike. It has the same internal gearing as the Loft. The Loft has better brakes than the band brakes the townie comes with. You don t see much about the Electra brand on these forums, but we really like it. We just use to ride around neighborhood, and have taken on a couple of road trips We bought a Hollywood rack for transport , and a hitch, both from Etrailer, very happy with both and Etrailers easy to use site and service.

these all sit around the same price point as the Electra Loft -- do any offer a strong argument to consider above the Electra?

I would try the Giant LaFree E+1 because of the more powerful motor, and it comes in 3 frame sizes. But I like the Gazelle line up because the EasyFlow has 26” wheels and 3 sizes, the Arroyo has 28” wheels and 3 step through frame sizes plus a diamond frame option, so between the two models you and your wife should have no problem finding the right fit, although you might consider getting two of the same model as the EasyFlow uses a Shimano Steps motor/battery, while the Arroyo uses a Bosch motor/battery, and it helps if you both can share two batteries. Also the 2018 Arroyo has the Bosch Performance Line motor which has comparable power to the Yamaha motor in the Giant. I think the 2018 Arroyo is a good deal now it’s on sale due to the 2019 model being a new design.

I found another bike, the BH Bikes Easy Motion Atom Diamond Wave Pro has come down in price to 3,000, uses a Brose motor.

Last edited:
is there any rational need to compare the IGH to a traditional derailleur if one is preferred without having experience with the other?
Not really, your wife likes using an IGH, it offers practical advantages over a derailleur for a Class 1 pedelec without a throttle, and you have several brands/models to choose from.

Last edited:
After taking the day and riding almost every step-through she could find (7 total makes for a long day), my wife finally settled on the Giant Lafree E+1. After riding it, we went back to the previous favorite Electra Loft to compare and the Yamaha assist won her road test; she said the Giant felt much smoother with her style of riding. The Loft won hands-down on aesthetics and "bells and whistles," but the Lafree won for all-around riding and assist. The rack-mounted battery on the Lafree was a concern, but she didn't think the added top weight made that much of a difference after comparisons. Also, since the rack also houses the battery, any pannier (metal or plastic clip) is fairly permanent; there's not much clearance for a quick on-and-off. We expect delivery to our LBS within a week since the test-bike was only a rental.

Thanks to everyone for their help, now it's my turn to find the right fit...

Back