Looking at ebikes - need more info

Sugar Creek

I am ready to buy an e bike but am on a strict budget. I am 65 years old, in reasonable, but not great, shape, and plan on using it to travel to town and back - a hilly 8 - 10 miles each way. I will need to carry small amounts of groceries, etc. I will also ride "for fun" at other times here in the countryside of the Blue Ridge mountains. The first mile from my home is a hard-packed dirt/gravel road. I hope to buy an ebike under $2,000. I am presently looking at the Aventon Pace 500 step through and the BikTrix Stunner LT step through. Any thoughts on these two ebikes would be most appreciatede and also recommendations on another ebike that would satisfy my criteria. Thanks for any help you can offer!

welcome to the site.
search is not showing these bikes so I'm no help on them. Having bought 2 batteries amazon, ebay before I recieved a good one from luna, I'd say having a local dealer that can sort out the garbage in the back room will save you a lot of time. If you're near DC there may be lots of choices. You can also climb on to see if the frame fits you. That is important if you are going to pedal unpowered at all.
Bargain bikes are sondors, pedego, juiced IMHO. They are too cheap to pay for reviews here. But large market share means the warrenty may be good for something.
I like geared hub motors since I like to pedal most of the time unless the wind is too high. Also 1000 w geared hubs can start up a 15% grade with 50 lb supplies + 160 lb me- I've done it.
the Yuba cargo bike left I bought & e-converted has bosses in the frame to connect a front basket that doesn't swing with the front wheel. the front basket helps me balance the bike. Rear heavy loads threw me over the handle bars on mountain bikes 5 times in 5 years. Typical loading was 20 lb front wheel, 120 lb rear wheel with rear baskets but without me on it. front wheel skidding on gravel, pavement separators, speed bumps, was a problem.

The problem is that so many bikes fit your requirements. Given that you live in the Blue Ridge, I'd sort things out by looking at torque. I mean, you have to narrow it down somehow, right?

You may not have an ebike vendor anywhere near you, depending on how far out in the boonies you are, but it's a great idea to try a couple of you can. Also, I'd have to suggest not getting a niche bike, because spare parts etc. will be hard to come by, however good a bike it might be. That pretty much lets out the two you mentioned.

Consider established brands like Raleigh, Giant, or Rad. My bike, the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S, has been trouble free. No matter what you get, that may not be the case. I mentioned Juiced because they make really good bikes for under $2K. Service has suffered some because of explosive growth, but they seem to be getting back on top of it.

Don't think about it too much. Make a reasonable decision and start enjoying the fun!

If I were you I would go with the easy motion evo city. I see the 2018 models on sale for 1999$. Check their website
You get 600watt battery , good components and great warranty. Not a lot of crazy power , I think it is a 350 watts rear hub. The Juiced bikes have stronger motor but inferior components not sure about the warranty.
Most imp. Is to buy a new one.

I searched a long time for a bike under 2k and then I found my giant lafree with internal gear hub and belt drive. It ticked all the boxes for me and then some. It was listed at 2400 for the belt drive model compared to 1900 for the chain and derailleur model, but I felt the decreased maintenance and clean pant leg was worth the extra expense I have no problems climbing hills and bridges. it is pretty stable with cargo on the rear rack.
This is the first bike that I haven’t even changed the seat as it is so comfortable for me. The ergon grips and the fairly fat tires also add to the ride. I ride this bike on 20 and 30 mile bike club rides on the weekend, and I commute about 4 miles each way 3 days a week. I charge my battery approximately once a week for an hour when it drops below 30%. I haven’t touched my Electra townie, specialized dolce roadie, or my Dahon ciao folder since I got this ebike

Last edited:
Go into a shop and test ride some bikes. And ask them about the warranty and how they support the warranty. Don't be in a big rush. If you do not already know what you want, it will be really hard to figure it out online. Reviews are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story. Which is how you are really going to use the bike, what feels right to you, and how you are going to keep the bike rolling over time.

The Juiced bikes have stronger motor but inferior components not sure about the warranty.
This is an overstatement. "Inferior components." Meaningless unless you say what you are comparing them to. There are a bunch of us who are racking up thousands of miles on Juiced Bikes with no problems with the components at all. Are they top of the line? No. But then again, you can't find an ebike for under $2K that has primo components. The hydraulic brakes are more than adequate. The derailleur shifts smoothly and accurately. The motor and controller are as good as you can find on any bike, and Juiced is known for its large batteries. I'm guessing you don't own and have never ridden a Juiced bike. It doesn't help to present opinion as fact. Newbies have enough work to do, sorting out the various bikes, without having to sort out misinformation as well.

This is an overstatement. "Inferior components." Meaningless unless you say what you are comparing them to. There are a bunch of us who are racking up thousands of miles on Juiced Bikes with no problems with the components at all. Are they top of the line? No. But then again, you can't find an ebike for under $2K that has primo components. The hydraulic brakes are more than adequate. The derailleur shifts smoothly and accurately. The motor and controller are as good as you can find on any bike, and Juiced is known for its large batteries. I'm guessing you don't own and have never ridden a Juiced bike. It doesn't help to present opinion as fact. Newbies have enough work to do, sorting out the various bikes, without having to sort out misinformation as well.

I was comparing them to a Shimano Deore Xt group set.
And I agree with you that for new or casual riders the components that they use on Juiced bikes are totally fine. They can upgrade later on , if they want.

I was comparing them to a Shimano Deore Xt group set.
And I agree with you that for new or casual riders the components that they use on Juiced bikes are totally fine. They can upgrade later on , if they want.
I think those of us who are putting on thousands of miles per year on Juiced Bikes wouldn't consider ourselves "new or casual riders."

How many bikes under $2K have Deore XT components?

I think those of us who are putting on thousands of miles per year on Juiced Bikes wouldn't consider ourselves "new or casual riders."

How many bikes under $2K have Deore XT components?

Even with the sales going on, yea no brand new e bike will have a shimano deore Xt set up..
I’m sure that as a experienced rider you know how you can change the shifter /RD easily , but if you’r happy With it the way it is then I guess is fine... From what I looked on Juiced website they do not list the Model of Tektro/Shimano model.
My weight 175+tool backpack(50lb) plus the need to brake from 25-27mph I need powerfull brakes so Tektro dorado was a must.
I was considering the CCX due to the big battery but then spending another 7-800$ on upgrading it (fork, cut off Dorado brakes, the deore xt?) and the only 1year electrical comp. Warranty put me off. And many dealers where I am refuse to work if I didn’t bought bike from them...actually here (Ny area) are only 4 e bike stores

If the OP is hopefully reading , that crazy deal & crazy lenny’s is a must buy !! The bat. Is 750$ alone....Most imp. For that bike is that you get 5years electrical components warranty.
Now the juiced gives you 1year warranty only.

My first ebike was a used one, was not a s pedelex, did not had latest and greatest and it “ only” costed 600$ to fix it after I rode it in the rain b/c yea no warranty...
Is a pure joy to own a good e bike and hopefully he makes right choice based on battery capacity, warranty and closeness to dealer location !

I am ready to buy an e bike but am on a strict budget. I am 65 years old, in reasonable, but not great, shape, and plan on using it to travel to town and back - a hilly 8 - 10 miles each way. I will need to carry small amounts of groceries, etc. I will also ride "for fun" at other times here in the countryside of the Blue Ridge mountains. The first mile from my home is a hard-packed dirt/gravel road. I hope to buy an ebike under $2,000. I am presently looking at the Aventon Pace 500 step through and the BikTrix Stunner LT step through. Any thoughts on these two ebikes would be most appreciatede and also recommendations on another ebike that would satisfy my criteria. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Get the one on sale from crazy Lenny ! I may get another one myself just for the battery and components...

Even with the sales going on, yea no brand new e bike will have a shimano deore Xt set up..
I’m sure that as a experienced rider you know how you can change the shifter /RD easily , but if you’r happy With it the way it is then I guess is fine... From what I looked on Juiced website they do not list the Model of Tektro/Shimano model.
My weight 175+tool backpack(50lb) plus the need to brake from 25-27mph I need powerfull brakes so Tektro dorado was a must.
I was considering the CCX due to the big battery but then spending another 7-800$ on upgrading it (fork, cut off Dorado brakes, the deore xt?) and the only 1year electrical comp. Warranty put me off. And many dealers where I am refuse to work if I didn’t bought bike from them...actually here (Ny area) are only 4 e bike stores

If the OP is hopefully reading , that crazy deal & crazy lenny’s is a must buy !! The bat. Is 750$ alone....Most imp. For that bike is that you get 5years electrical components warranty.
Now the juiced gives you 1year warranty only.

My first ebike was a used one, was not a s pedelex, did not had latest and greatest and it “ only” costed 600$ to fix it after I rode it in the rain b/c yea no warranty...
Is a pure joy to own a good e bike and hopefully he makes right choice based on battery capacity, warranty and closeness to dealer location !
OK, we've all got our preferences and now I understand yours better.

For the OP:
Your goal is certainly reasonable. I am posting a link to a bike that is about $2600 list price, but I know you can get them cheaper. You might even be able to find a 2018 for under 2K.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-explore-eplus

I have ridden this bike. They are very sturdy, have a front shock, a wide network of dealers , and have lots of torque for those beautiful Blue Ridge Mts. They are class 2 which might make them legal on your local bike trails. I have come to the conclusion that 20 mph is plenty enough assist for 95% of my riding I think you might come to the same conclusion.

I was a wrencher back in the day, but now I just like to ride. I love having a dealership I can ride to and get work done.

Welcome and enjoy your search.

I appreciate all of the info and advice relating to my initial post. I especially will take into account the advice to test ride some ebikes before buying. The problem I have is there is not a dealer anywhere close by where i live near the town of Lexington, VA. I most likely will take a day off to travel to a good shop that has plenty of brands to test ride...

Also, I appreciate the advice about buying well known brands. I like the idea of a mid motor and a geared rear hub, so I have upped my budget a little to accommodate the increase in price that may cause - maybe up to $2600. I like the looks and reviews of the Giant lafree as it has both mid drive internal rear changer, and a belt drive. Any more info on this ebike or something similar is most appreciated.

I love my lafree so far. I have ridden it approximately 20 times for various distances and charge it to 80% when it drops to 20%
I rode 20 miles yesterday at approximately 15.5 mph pace for approximately 90 min. I was keeping up with my hubby on his caad road bike very well. I used 33% of the battery with an average of 64 rpm cadence using level 2 and 3 assist out of 5 levels.
I am an overweight older female with some health issues and I normally ride at a social group pace average of 12 mph on my road bike unassisted. I do ride more often with my e bike and I use it for commuting frequently. I did ride my townie to the grocery store yesterday as I only had two locks at home and I didn’t trust the e bike locked up at the grocery with just those two locks. I leave my u-lock and handcuff cable lock at work

Last edited:
I like the Lafree, it's a great bike! I would have one but they're not available where I reside in Canada.

Back