Locks... ???

DaveMatthews

Locks...
Paranoid or not?
Choices:
1) No, don't care. I ride, then I come home. No worries. Bike is never out of sight.
2) Quick rides to the store, or a low crime area. All I need is a simple cable lock.
3) Had my bike stolen once, so I need quality protection.
4) I want the best, maybe multiple devices like alarm, and Ulock or more.
What do you think?
I trust my neighborhood, and my locked garage, so no worries there.
But... out and about. I am out at stores etc. more.
Downtown Vancouver is a bike theft area like any metro area, but I will rarely be there.
My area, not so much. That being said, I wouldn't mind a lock system that let me go to a restaurant or something for an hour or two with no worries.
https://www.amazon.ca/ABUS-Bordo-Alarm-Keye...bus+bordo+alarm

Locks...
Paranoid or not?
Choices:
1) No, don't care. I ride, then I come home. No worries. Bike is never out of sight.
2) Quick rides to the store, or a low crime area. All I need is a simple cable lock.
What do you think?
Downtown Vancouver is a bike theft area like any metro area, but I will rarely be there.
My area, not so much. That being said, I wouldn't mind a lock system that let me go to a restaurant or something for an hour or two with no worries.

I'd contact Chris Nolte at Propel Electric Bikes in Brooklyn. Propel Bikes is an Abus dealer. They are a great resource
especially when it comes to bikes and locks and protecting the higher end bikes they sell.

https://propelbikes.com/

There's also a review with Chris and Court right hear on EBR specifically dealing with Abus locks ( and others).

I bought a Pedego-branded Foldylock with my bike that came with two years of bike-replacement insurance if it is stolen and not recovered within 30 days. :) I lock my bike for errands and eating out. I live in a Seattle suburb.

Here's info on the Foldylock:
https://seatylock.com/collections/foldylock

I don't know if they have any other lock+insurance deals, or if that's just a Pedego thing for the Pedego-branded lock when the lock is bought together with the bike.

The foldylock and the lock on Amazon are knockoff of the ABUS Bordo, which is still the gold standard. The hardness of the steel, durability of the rubber coating on the Abus are several cuts above. They have several lengths, a variety of holders with a variety of mounting options. In addition to the folding lock some cables to secure the seat/seat post assembly and another on to secure the front or rear wheel is highly recommended. A friend went into our library in mid day recently, locked his bike near the front door with a u-lock through the frame and rear wheel, came out ten minutes later to find his seat and seatpost gone along with his front wheel. No body standing out front saw anything.

The sigtuna power 4 won't go around the bigger telephone poles. Probably not even a no-parking signpost. Abus is not long enough either to use telephone poles. Lock your wheel to your bike, you've upgraded your thief from a kid to someone who has a car. E-bikes have resale value. Bike racks? All they have around here is front wheel support, and locking your front wheel is a good way to lose a $2000 frame IMHO.
I lost an unlocked ****y one speed cruiser in 1966, and had to walk home 3 miles with my 15 lb instrument. Not again. And if the balls fall out of your rear hub or the axle shaft breaks, you're going to have to leave your bike for a while unless your mother still dotes on you and answers your every call.
I used a cheap 36" x 3/16" chain for 49 years, no problems even with a $3 combo lock. But the bike was worth $75 max. With a $2000 bike my choice for the last 3 years has been the 6' master 1/4" cable with vinyl coating and aluminum sealed looped ends sold in all home stores . Goes through the frame, goes around most telephone poles. I use a master grade 10 key lock; the combination locks are too easy to smash with a hammer. As far as cutting a cable, try it, import bolt cutters can only make a dent in one. Hacksaw takes an hour. A battery grinder would set the vinyl coating on fire, making stinky smoke. Security, I've had a tire slashed in a neighborhood with apartments filled with generation X & Y, bike and wheel were still there. I took the quick disconnect for the wheel & seat off, & carry tools in a kids pencil box.
BTW I use taller signposts (no six footers), gas meters, and live electrical conduits a lot as parking posts, too. I use far out cart racks at the discount store, the bike racks near the door fit the front wheel ! Stupid.

Last edited:
I replaced the cam action bolt w/adjustable nut on my seat clamp with a stainless bolt and lock nut. My bike, after the initial adjustment, will rarely be adjusted again. Casual seat/seat post rip off that takes just a second is now going to require the use of a couple of wrenches.

This is mostly my situation.

What do you think?
But...I wouldn't mind a lock system that let me go to a restaurant or something for an hour or two with no worries.

All locks can be compromised. A lock either causes the would-be thief to pass by, or spend another minute or so cutting it. Personally, I would pass on the Bordo Alarm. It would be better to use two less expensive locks, like the Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7...a thief would have to make four cuts vs. one to steal the bike.

All locks can be beaten, the question is how hard do you want to make it for a thief to steal. An angle grinder will quickly destroy any lock out there, but also make a lot of noise and a lot of sparks. I only commute with my bike, and at work it comes inside with me, so I don't lock it up. However, I do have a plan for if I was to take my bike out somewhere.

If I took my bike somewhere and had to lock it outside, I would use my old Kryptonite u-lock, kryptonite cable, and Abus Bordo GRANIT X Plus 6500 folding lock. My bike is expensive, so two strong locks on the frame and a cable for the seat and tires (none of which are quick release) should make for a very secure bike.

This is a very nice security/safety add-on for less than $20.

It is a seat-post, USB-rechargeable, blinking tail light with a motion sensor that comes on when you start riding and shuts off when you stop.

It can be set to only light up in the dar or all day long. It also senses when you slow down and goes solid red for a brake light. It has a couple of mounting options with hardware to mount on the seat post or under the saddle on the back of the rails.

Additionally it has a motion sensor alarm that you can activate when you lock up you bike. Its plenty loud enough to discourage someone going to work on you lock set-up to steal your bike.

s-l1600.jpg
It is just $18.51, shipping included, on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Spend 10% of the value of your bike on locks. Don't waste money on anything unless it is made by Abus or Krytonite. Learn how to lock the bike properly - Court did an excellent video on how to lock your bike up. Lock it up every time you leave it. The more you lock it, the quicker you will get at it.

I bought a Pedego-branded foldylock for my bike that came with a warranty for bike replacement if stolen and not found within 30 days (only available when the lock is purchased at (nearly) the same time as the bike). As for my riding habits, my bike lives in a locked garage when at home, in my office when I am at work (it is a lovely conversation piece), and does get locked to bike racks or elsewhere when I run errands--my errands are grocery shopping, shopping mall, dining out, hardware store, haircuts, etc. aren't terribly long, and I lock the bike in visible public areas, visible also to me from wherever I am, if possible.

Fingers crossed!

I bought a Pedego-branded Foldylock with my bike that came with two years of bike-replacement insurance if it is stolen and not recovered within 30 days. :) I lock my bike for errands and eating out. I live in a Seattle suburb.

Here's info on the Foldylock:
https://seatylock.com/collections/foldylock

I don't know if they have any other lock+insurance deals, or if that's just a Pedego thing for the Pedego-branded lock when the lock is bought together with the bike.

The bike insurance sounds great, however, when it comes time to file a claim, how reliable is the insurance coverage that they offer. Usually, there are some disclaimers attached to the coverage. It would be great if we actually knew a Foldylock owner that had to use it and what the turnaround time was to get 'full' compensation. Just a thought.

This is a very nice security/safety add-on for less than $20.

It is a seat-post, USB-rechargeable, blinking tail light with a motion sensor that comes on when you start riding and shuts off when you stop.

It can be set to only light up in the dar or all day long. It also senses when you slow down and goes solid red for a brake light. It has a couple of mounting options with hardware to mount on the seat post or under the saddle on the back of the rails.

Additionally it has a motion sensor alarm that you can activate when you lock up you bike. Its plenty loud enough to discourage someone going to work on you lock set-up to steal your bike.

View attachment 24962
It is just $18.51, shipping included, on eBay.

View attachment 24962

I purchased this and it works great so far. I received the tip from Reid, a forum member. It is also is a nice addition to a theft deterrent system.

Locks...
Paranoid or not?
Choices:
What do you think?
Well, here's a bunch of different scenarios, all with different lock requirements. I'm as worried as the next person, but it all depends on what the exact situation is.

For example, the new Aldi store nearby has absolutely no bike rack or safe place to lock up, unless you had a 12' cable lock for an elevated light pylon. So, I went inside and asked the employees what they recommended. I now have permission to bring the bike inside the store, where I leave it unlocked but shut off with locked battery.

Each situation is different...one guy goes to Wal-Mart and stays with his bike in the pickup zone, having the groceries brought out.

For commuting, I highly recommend the best bike lock...a bike cover. Out of sight is safer.

I'm leaning towards having multiple locks, and taking the one with me that best matches the situation I think I'll be facing when I lock it up. The commuter might want a monster chain, and leave the heavy thing at work.

I note that Kryptonite rates their locks by number on a situations grid...the most hazardous being a college campus!

Btw, I checked with my homeowner's insurance and my bike is covered anywhere, less the $500 deductible. Also noted and hopefully copied, Rad Power will not sell a battery or charger without proof of ownership of a bike.

And there's always the Skunklock, that sprays a thief with....you guessed it!

Last edited:
The bike insurance sounds great, however, when it comes time to file a claim, how reliable is the insurance coverage that they offer. Usually, there are some disclaimers attached to the coverage. It would be great if we actually knew a Foldylock owner that had to use it and what the turnaround time was to get 'full' compensation. Just a thought.

Here's a copy of the warranty conditions. It does NOT coverage damage to a recovered bike. That would be a deal-killer for auto insurance (how many folks know someone whose car was recovered, but stripped of parts?), but with bike theft I think the most common scenario is that the bike is never recovered, if the bike is stolen. This coverage would also NOT coverage a locked bike that ha parts pilferec.

I don't know anyone who has made a claim.

Attachments

• Pedego additional warranty against theft with qualifying locks.png
    Pedego additional warranty against theft with qualifying locks.png
    756.5 KB · Views: 298
Back