Locks and Security Solutions for Electric Bikes

Attachments

• BFBE81EA-6E1A-4CB5-8933-24646087CBC9.jpeg
    BFBE81EA-6E1A-4CB5-8933-24646087CBC9.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 634
I recently bought two Viro “Panzer” shutter locks and two 4’ Pewag 3/8” chains for bike security. About $115 for each set but very attack resistant and good security for the money in my opinion. Also fairly heavy, but I got a bike to carry them around, now don’t I?

Does anyone lock their helmet to the bike through the straps or other means? Should we all be worried about lights, panniers, etc. being left on a locked bike?

Last edited:
I recently bought two Viro “Panzer” shutter locks and two 4’ Pewag 3/8” chains for bike security. About $115 for each set but very attack resistent and good security for the money in my opinion. Also fairly heavy, but I got a bike to carry them around, now don’t I?

Does anyone lock their helmet to the bike through the straps or other means? Should we all be worried about lights, panniers, etc. being left on a locked bike?

Although it's a pain in the neck, I use shoulder straps to carry my panniers & helmet with me when I lock my bike. It's difficult to secure these items when left unattended.

Reactions: BET
Although it's a pain in the neck, I use shoulder straps to carry my panniers & helmet with me when I lock my bike. It's difficult to secure these items when left unattended.
I'm considering one of the shoulder sling type pack, it should hold a helmet and a few other gadgets like taillight flashers, phone holder, etc. if I'm away and out of sight. I'm assuming mirrors and seat should be bolted in, not held by a quick release. I can easily imagine kids checking out bikes for easy pickings for their personal use.

I'm considering one of the shoulder sling type pack, it should hold a helmet and a few other gadgets like taillight flashers, phone holder, etc. if I'm away and out of sight. I'm assuming mirrors and seat should be bolted in, not held by a quick release. I can easily imagine kids checking out bikes for easy pickings for their personal use.

Although the shoulder strap works well, it can get uncomfortable if you're carrying a lot of weight. My panniers also have handles which lets you carry them like a suitcase. This lets me alternate between shoulder and hand as comfort dictates.

Ortlieb bags have a cable lock accessory that works really well at securing them from a grab and go theft. Can also secure your helmet

Some alloys are harder to cut. There are some called Hatfield steel that were used for prison bars that have manganese in the alloy that harden as you try to cut them.

Manganese steel looks promising. Manganese U-locks don't seem to be a thing but there are a number of chain locks. Well known brands are a bit over $100.

There's one video of bolt cutting a Kryptonite Ev4 & that attempt failed. There's other videos of angle grinding thru the chain, tho. Another video uses force-multiplying bolt cutters (non-hydraulic). These are all in shops, using a vice. It would require cutting the link in 2 places, to free the bike. Not sure how hydraulic bolt cutters would fare here. Also, I assume u-locks are the weak point, in manganese chain/u-lock combos.

On balance tho, I'm thinking well of Manganese.

Last edited:
Manganese steel looks promising. Manganese U-locks don't seem to be a thing but there are a number of chain locks. Well known brands are a bit over $100.

There's one video of bolt cutting a Kryptonite Ev4 that failed. There's videos of angle grinding thru the chain. Another video uses force-multiplying bolt cutters (non-hydraulic). These are all in shops, using a vice. It would require cutting the link in 2 places, to free the bike. Not sure how hydraulic bolt cutters would fare here. Also, I assume u-locks are the weak point, in manganese chain/u-lock combos.

On balance tho, I'm thinking well of Manganese.

I'm using a Viro Panzer lock with a 3/8" Pewag hardened chain and recently added a hidden motion alarm. I hope the combo will discourage anyone in the areas I am likely to leave my bike, but there is no 100% security system. I will probably fend off the most common level of attacks, but a minute or two with an angle grinder and ignoring the alarm has no current defense.

I am using a kryptonite chain and ulock, but my backup and peace of mind is the hidden GPS tracker that’s inside my tail/brake light :)

70972EE8-833D-45AF-BE5F-857C2EB07309.jpeg

I am using this one off amazon and it’s been great, you do need some basic technical knowledge on how to set it up as it can be a bit tricky. You need to get an extra sim card that can be used for GPS purposes, they are cheap as they don’t use much data...I am using speedtalk.

I have been using the tracker for about 2 months now with no problems, the battery lasts a week with regular/heavy use.

It is a bit tricky to setup and the reviews may be a cautionary on how tricky it may be but if you’d like to pay more for it to be setup for you I did find another
store that sells the exact same tracker but it is more money but they do have the option to set it up for you...for a price.

If you do decide to get it from amazon and get the speedtalk sim (make sure you get proper 2G cell coverage) , you can message me for any trouble shooting...if I can help with it I will try :)

This was a bit of a nightmare with production and delivery delays, but now that I've gotten past the indiegogo/kickstarter frustrations, I like it a lot. I don't live in an urban neighborhood, so I'm not leaving it locked in high theft areas for hours at a time. There are varying takes on how secure the folding steel bars really are, but I find that I use it more simply because it's easier to lock and unlock. It's on the heavy side, but probably lighter than the "serious" security solutions.

This was a bit of a nightmare with production and delivery delays, but now that I've gotten past the indiegogo/kickstarter frustrations, I like it a lot. I don't live in an urban neighborhood, so I'm not leaving it locked in high theft areas for hours at a time. There are varying takes on how secure the folding steel bars really are, but I find that I use it more simply because it's easier to lock and unlock. It's on the heavy side, but probably lighter than the "serious" security solutions.

How much is it and how do you buy it?

Back