LITELOK : Some early user-experiences with this bikelock

Yikes. I guess it is really a "light lock" at least in terms of security (but really heavy for a cafe lock). So much for selling mine...

It looks like The Sweet Home recommends Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 (http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/). But I am actually looking for I guess what would be called a "cafe lock". I'd be biking with kids, in safe suburban family friendly places, grabbing a coffee or a pizza with the kids. What does everyone here use for a "cafe lock"? The lock is basically peace of mind while I mind the kids and take our time in parks/cafes without needing to keep an eye on the bikes. Thanks and my apologies for the unpleasant news. (I don't have an e-bike, just a folding bike that will be hitched to a tagalong, so I can't just fold it and bring it indoors with me when with kids.) I thought the LiteLok would've been good for that, but it's $$$ as a visual deterrent.

...What does everyone here use for a "cafe lock"? ...
I'm using an Abus chain/combination lock for a cafe lock. My wife and I use it when riding somewhere for lunch and locking our two Terns together with us never far away. I can't recall the exact model but it is something similar to this:

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Sec...y/Locks/Lock-Chain-Combination/Key-Combo-1610

Abus has some light cable locks that might be easier to transport. We put the chain in a trunk bag or in the grocery basket that is mounted on my Tern. But it isn't one you would be able to wrap around the seatpost and carry on the bike.

When I purchased my Stromer e-bike some weeks ago; I also began looking for good bike-locks to secure my investment. I was looking for locks which had best compromize of security and user-friendly attributes, like low weight and ease of use.
I excluded "U"-locks; even though the security these provide are first rate. Reason being its lack of flexibility.

With the bike, I bought aTrelock FS 500 Toro. This together witih the ABUS Bordo Granit X plus 6500; I believe are among the very best bikelocks.

How ever, I by accident found information about a kickstarter project named "LITELOK".
The LITELOK were by the time I read about it, a reality & in production.

The LITELOK; is a bikelock which "on paper"; had qualities I was looking for:
Its low weight, made of flexible materials and have "Sold secure"-rating "Bicycle gold 2015".

Have a look at the manufacturers homepage: View attachment 7218 litelok.com

I liked what I read about it; and ordered a set of two locks;which shared same key. Reason for ordering two locks; was the possibility to secure the bike on two different places or join the two locks togehter; to get one lock with extra lenght.

My experiences from about a week of use are all good. The lock may be locked without a key inserted; which is positive. The flex in the cord makes it easier to use when locking the bike to a object. Using two locks attached to eachother; makes it really convinient;locking to a bigger object; like a small tree, etc. Because of the tention in the cord; some force must be used to pushe the two ends in level;when opening or locking it. But I did not really see this as a problem.
As the bike is a expensive one; and practically brand new; I am kind of "nevrotic" in avoiding scraches on the bike. The surface of the two ends of the lock;has a rubber-lair. The surface of the lock it self; is kind of "soft"& "scratch"-resistant. So as long as am careful when using the lock; i feel relaxed about the "scratch"-issue.
There are included two straps for each lock; to attach the lock to the bike during transport. I do not want to use these on my bike; and dont find this solution optimal. So far; I have transported the locks in a backpack, or on short trips to the store; used it as a "neckless" ;-). I think Iwill find a carrier-mounted case of some sort; which also may contain a lock or two.

I feel very positive about this bikelock; as you might have understood. So want to be very straight on this:I have absolutely no commercial interests in this lock, other than thinking it is a good product !

I just pray that I will avoid having a "reality-qualitycheck" in form of a theft. But the certification by "Sold secure" is supposed to be creditable. So I have choosed to override my sceptics to other than the conventional "U"-locks and the slightly less impractical foldling locks.

I will follow up this thread by posting any new positive or negative experiences I might have in time to come.

:)
Thanks for this post. I have been doing loads of research on locks for my new Haibike and still hadn't reached a decision. Sadly bike theft is having a surge where I live as well as other break ins and theft. Unfortunately in the UK our police force has been stripped bare and are busy chasing financial crooks and terrorists so petty theft is recorded and filed. I could have bought 2 Haibikes with the money I am investing in CCTV and locks.

What does everyone here use for a "cafe lock"?

Hiplok Z-lok http://www.hiplok.com/z-lok-zip-tie/

I like it because it is very light and very simple. It certainly wouldn't survive a thief armed with bolt cutters or even big snips. But it is reasonably priced and if you live in a low crime area and are just going to the bakery or post office it is reasonable security for your bike. Another nice thing about it is that if you creatively run it through your rear wheel and frame and choose a low-visibility color (yes, you get color choices!) it can be a bit puzzling to a bike thief what exactly is stopping the bike. Slowing down a thief is half the battle.

One downside: the lock isn't keyed, it is more like a special tool that opens the zip tie. The other downside is I have had one "key" break on me.

Even if you don't use it as a primary lock, they are still awesome for securing things like a front wheel or a bike seat. Again, slowing down a thief is half the battle.

So I received the twin pack Litelok yesterday and have arranged to return it already.

The product looks excellent. However as there is no space on my Haibike frame to carry I had planned to take it in my backpack.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as I had hoped to bend it into its circular locked shape. Once unlocked, the tension released is full on. I had imagined it would be a bit more bendy and easily line the perimeter of my backpack. No chance.

For someone else with a different bike setup it might be perfect.

I subsequently watched this review

So I've ordered a Kryptonite 9" mini d-lock and a 4' and 2'4" cables. I plan to mix and match what I take depending on my plans.

UPDATE: Wow just caught up on the previous posts. I wish Haibike included their tracking system in all their model lines and not just the high end models. It does seems like if someone wants to take your bike there is no stopping them.

Last edited:
Back