List your experience with Tannus Armour

EMGX

When I searched Tannus Armour on this web site I found info scattered usually under specific bike brands and some other experiences have been different than mine. Maybe a specific thread would be helpful for those considering them and I'm curious regarding experience others have had.

I bought them for a BH/Emotion Rebel Gravel X with 700 x 17c rims and Schwalbe G one tires that don't have puncture protection. I ride in very hilly areas where downhill coasting can regularly get you to high 30's mph to over 40mph even with some braking. At that speed a sudden flat seems like it could be disastrous. The liners add some limited run flat ability also.

Local bike shop had them listed on their web page but they didn't have them in stock and didn't offer to order them so I got them on Amazon. Cost $85 for a pair including tubes.
Issues I had with the order were that the liners for the size I needed have a size range for rims imprinted on them that wasn't listed either on the Tannus web site nor the Amazon listing. Minimum rim size for 700 x 35-40c is 19c but my rims are 17c. I messaged Tannus, it took a couple days but they responded that they would fit 17c rims - then why list 19c as a minimum on the liner? (I didn't bother asking that but it crossed my mind). So I went to install them and found the enclosed tubes were 18-23c whereas a chart on the Amazon listing stated a required 23-28c (the Tannus web site stated 20-28c if you check that chart) along with a statement to be sure to order correct tube size. I sent another question to Tannus about this but wanted to go riding so I got correct size tubes from the local bike shop - then got a message from Tannus that 18-23 tubes would work fine. They were sending the smaller tubes because of difficulty sourcing tubes, it seems they could have sent this info with the product, but whatever.

I followed their installation video instructions including use of baby powder and they installed very easily as they said they would. I had been somewhat concerned that others have reported difficulty with installation and even that bike shops had difficulty with them. Maybe it depends on tire size but those reports are difficult to reconcile with the ease that mine installed.

So far I have ridden them about 40 miles on pavement as well as some gravel. They do seem to add rolling resistance which isn't trivial to me especially pedaling without power assist. That disadvantage is offset to me with peace of mind having puncture protection as well as run flat ability. They also seem to take some of the jarring out of railroad tracks and sharp breaks in pavement. I have been deflating my tires after rides to help reduce compression of the inserts over time, that isn't a bother to me.

20200709_083124.jpg

Last edited:
followup FWIW

After almost a month and 200-300 miles riding with the Tannus Armour I took them out today when I rotated the tires. I liked having flat protection and that they muted jarring from breaks in pavement/bumps. I didn't like the added rolling resistance, at one point I thought there was something wrong with my Yamaha mid drive on steep hills but it was just a penalty that the Tannus introduced. I also like to ride without motor assistance on flatter areas and the resistance made that less enjoyable - I found myself using motor assist that I wouldn't have without the inserts. It also seemed that tire pressure would drop several pounds even a few hours after inflating the tubes (not leaking), maybe as the Tannus foam compressed. I don't think that the inserts would have provided even limited ride flat ability that they advertise. As they suggest I deflated the tires between rides to avoid compressing the foam and found that with the tires deflated it seemed likely to have damaged the tires and rims with the tires coming off the rims if ridden flat.

Lastly the inserts each weigh 0.55 pounds, over a pound for the pair. May not mean much for bikes that weigh close to 60 pounds or more but seems a shame if you have a lighter bike just to add weight back. My opinion, yours might be different.

Last edited:
followup FWIW

After almost a month and 200-300 miles riding with the Tannus Armour I took them out today when I rotated the tires. I liked having flat protection and that they muted jarring from breaks in pavement/bumps. I didn't like the added rolling resistance, at one point I thought there was something wrong with my Yamaha mid drive on steep hills but it was just a penalty that the Tannus introduced. I also like to ride without motor assistance on flatter areas and the resistance made that less enjoyable - I found myself using motor assist that I wouldn't have without the inserts. It also seemed that tire pressure would drop several pounds even a few hours after inflating the tubes (not leaking), maybe as the Tannus foam compressed. I don't think that the inserts would have provided even limited ride flat ability that they advertise. As they suggest I deflated the tires between rides to avoid compressing the foam and found that with the tires deflated it seemed likely to have damaged the tires and rims with the tires coming off the rims if ridden flat.

Lastly the inserts each weigh 0.55 pounds, over a pound for the pair. May not mean much for bikes that weigh close to 60 pounds or more but seems a shame if you have a lighter bike just to add weight back. My opinion, yours might be different.
Thanks for posting your experience. I've gone ahead and ordered a pair, I live in an area with alot of thorns and am getting tired of fixing flats. Ride primarily pavement/gravel so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for posting your experience. I've gone ahead and ordered a pair, I live in an area with alot of thorns and am getting tired of fixing flats. Ride primarily pavement/gravel so I'll see how it goes.

If you don't mind post up your experience. I'm curious how others feel about the rolling resistance which I felt was significant enough to take them out.. The only recent flat I've had was on a regular pedal bike a year or two ago riding over railroad tracks when a nail went up through the tread and out the sidewall - the Tannus wouldn't have been able to help prevent that. Of course, since I removed the inserts I rode over broken glass yesterday but luckily no flat resulted. When my half worn 40x700 Schwalbe G one tires need replacement I might go for a smaller, higher pressure tire like 35x700. If I do I might try the inserts again as they fit 35-40c tires.

I have only had the Tannus Armour on for a couple of days but I am sold for how much quieter and smooth my ride now is. It's like I've added a whole new level of suspension. I have a 2020 Rad rover step thru with 26"x 4" Juggernaught fat tires and although I usually ride in one of the lower power mode possibilities, I have not yet noticed the increased rolling resistance other folks here have noticed.
I ordered the Tannus bundle for my tire size which included the supposedly smaller tubes but they sent me the same sized tubes that were already on my bike. Not having the patience to complain and wait for some correction, I just installed them and they worked just fine. Tire pressure needed is about half what I used to need. No loss in pressure detected over a couple of days.
I am also not expecting them to provide flat protection for anything longer than a sharp 14mm depth but just for the improved ride I think they're worth it.

I have only had the Tannus Armour on for a couple of days but I am sold for how much quieter and smooth my ride now is. It's like I've added a whole new level of suspension. I have a 2020 Rad rover step thru with 26"x 4" Juggernaught fat tires and although I usually ride in one of the lower power mode possibilities, I have not yet noticed the increased rolling resistance other folks here have noticed.
I ordered the Tannus bundle for my tire size which included the supposedly smaller tubes but they sent me the same sized tubes that were already on my bike. Not having the patience to complain and wait for some correction, I just installed them and they worked just fine. Tire pressure needed is about half what I used to need. No loss in pressure detected over a couple of days.
I am also not expecting them to provide flat protection for anything longer than a sharp 14mm depth but just for the improved ride I think they're worth it.

Thanks for providing your opinion. It make me wonder if the inserts work better for wider lower pressure tires like on your bike. The G-one tires on mine get inflated to 70psi which isn't high pressure but possibly enough to compress the inserts more. What pressure do you run in your tires? I'd like to use the inserts, partly because I paid ~$100 for them and the extra tubes and partly because I'd like some puncture protection and that they reduced road harshness - but for me with my bike/tires the rolling resistance issue keeps them on the shelf. It may be that I'm not a particularly strong rider so every little bit makes a noticeable difference to me.

Thanks for providing your opinion. It makes me wonder if the inserts work better for wider lower pressure tires like on your bike.

The G-one tires on mine get inflated to 70psi which isn't high pressure but possibly enough to compress the inserts more. What pressure do you run in your tires? I'd like to use the inserts, partly because I paid ~$100 for them and the extra tubes and partly because I'd like some puncture protection and that they reduced road harshness - but for me, with my bike/tires the rolling resistance issue keeps them on the shelf. It may be that I'm not a particularly strong rider so every little bit makes a noticeable difference to me.

I agree... the Tannus system is probably best suited for low-pressure applications.

I would not recommend them for high pressure/high-performance bikes due to the increased rolling resistance. That kills the experience for me. YMMV.

The Juggernaught 26" x 4" is a pretty aggressive, loud and comparatively stiff tire with a recommended tire pressure of 20 PSI. The Tannus system reduces my PSI requirement on those tires by 1/2 to about 10 PSI while still providing the same lateral cornering support I used to have with the higher tire pressure.
The new ride feels like all those 1 " road surface imperfections that I used to feel are either absorbed by the lower operating tire pressure or the foam momentarily compresses, reducing the shock vibration through the tire.

I was able to fix the first couple of flats on the road when I initially got my E-bike, I come from many years of riding road bikes and always fixed flats on the road, but the E-bikes weight makes it cumbersome.

I had my LBS install Tannus Armour on my Trek Super Commuter with Schwalbe Super Moto-X - 650B x 2.4" tires.
My rides are on well paved roads in Southern California averaging 35-60 miles with 2k-4k feet of elevation gain and average speeds of 16-20 mph.

I run 45 psi in my tires and I don't notice the extra weight (I have a powerful motor) and the ride might even be a bit cushier. I routinely descend steep hills at 30-40 mph with confidence that my tires will perform well.

I now have at least 10,000 flat free miles using Tannus and would not ride without them.

Perfect you started this thread, i was just going to start one to give feedback on the Tannus for me

wattwagon with 2.8 maxxis minions
Using 25-26 psi

had these put in a month ago but just got back to do some more miles on them
last month an hour after the shop did them i did a 20-25 mile ride and was not all that pleased , was hoping for better smoothness on washboard roads and did not see any improvement , also noticed the rolling resistance

but came home and did some research and saw they needed 50 miles or something like that to break in

got in 115 more mile the past couple of days and really notice how much smoother everything is
my bike is already pretty smooth but i can tell a difference

On the rolling resistance my bike has a new more powerful controller After that first ride and it may be offsetting that some....
i am fine with how rolls now but cant compare to give feedback on that really

my hope is that if i get a flat i can walk the bike a couple of miles to pavement if needed...
hopefully i just wont get any flats...

did not know we were supposed to be deflating some When done riding , will start doing that, wont be an issue for me because i check tire pressure on the bike before every ride

Will update this if any changes

Just to share my thoughts. I've had my Giant Trance E+3 over 18 months now and in the first few months I think I'd had more puctures than I had in years. Maybe it was bad luck or the fact that I was riding trails I normally would do but I changed to heavy tyres to try and alleviate the problem. This did help but did not erradicate the problem. Eight months and 2000 ks ago I fitted the Tannus inserts and actually used one of my lightweight tyres on the rear. What a godsend since then I've pulled out a number of thorns ridden over some rim crunching rocks an I've had no flats and no dents in the rims.
I've read in some other threads that people have struggled to fit them but I thought they were a piece of piss to install. I don't know if this is because the Giant uses wide rims and wide tyres but they went on easy and ran true from the get go. I did use a lot talc as I have always done coming from a dirt bike background. They do seem to have a little bit more rolling resistance but on my usual 100k loop around Sydney I still have 30-35% battery which is the same before I inserted the Tannus.
The most interesting thing was the feel over sharp edges and small rocks. They seem to dampen those fine little vibrations and smooth out the ride. I vary tyre pressures between 20 to 35 psi depending on terrain. Except for the weight and the initial cost I can't think of a bad thing to say about them. I'll just be interested to see how they last after a year of use.

I just purchased Tannus Armour for my 26 x 2.25 Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tires but have not installed them yet. I was also not aware of the deflation requirement to avoid foam compression. This will be an issue for me since I use Slime in my tubes. Deflating a Slime filled tube makes a huge mess. Rotating the rim so the valve it at it's highest point before deflating helps but the Slime still sprays out. Doing it once in a while is one thing but doing it after every ride will be a non starter for me. I'm curious how other riders who use Slime deal with this?

One solution is to simply not use Slime but that is just trading one level of flat protection for another. Tannus sells pre filled Slime tubes. Are they not intended to be used with the armour?

deflating your tires all the time would really suck since I ride every day. maybe they mean if you let the bike sit around between rides?

deflating your tires all the time would really suck since I ride every day. maybe they mean if you let the bike sit around between rides?
I can see doing this in the off season or for prolonged periods of disuse but the instructions are vague on the time factor. I would like to know how much flat protection would be lost over time if the tires are not deflated. This product isn't cheap and if there is a significant protection loss over time, they may not be worth the price.

My tires are 27 1/2 x 2.4 and I have had tannus inserts and slime filled tubes installed for the last 30,000 miles. I never deflate my tires and have had no flats. I only ride well paved roads.

It would be interesting to see how much the Tannus foam insert is compressed by the tube after a lot of high mileage riding.

I've pretty much tried every tire flat prevention technology on the market with my fatbikes, starting with Mr Tuffy tire liners, moving on from them to Tubeless featuring Orange Seal Sub Zero; moving from that back to Mr Tuffy's and Slime and now, the latest, Tannus Armour.

Haibike Full FatSix. Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26 x 4.0 tires. 80mm rims.

Riding terrain: Mostly roadside asphalt, secondary towpath trails or NJ Pine Barrens sugar sand roads.

Notes: The tubes originally advertised on their site were a bit bigger then what I recieved. I emailed TA and got an immediate response back, saying it will work fine. Still, I have reservations about a 2.8 inch tube in a 4.0 fat tire not exposing my valuable rim to damage in certain riding situations involving shock loading the tire. (I don't ride off curbs or hit rocks on the trails and now, with these smallish tubes, I am more aware to be extra careful, especially if I have the tire aired down for say, riding in snow or sand)..............The tube sizes they listed on their site for the fatbike armour simply are not available on the market and I will venture a guess that it may be covid related. Or maybe not..........I did source a wee bit larger tube from Bontrager via REI. An added plus is the Bontragers have a removable Presta Core. The TA supplied Kendas do not.........Installation was simple........The ride initially felt sluggish compared to the Tuffy's or Tubeless, but now, I am acclimated to the ride feel..........My riding pressure on asphalt or hard towpath trails run at 22 to 25 psi..........They are not bulletproof as I caught a flat a few months ago, a trail side thorn picked up, about a quarter inch in length...........Now, onto the pixtures:

100_4680.JPG

Yep, it does fit! It's just a matter of tucking everything in nice and so, ensuring the liner is within the tire bead. These Schwalbe tire beads pop with a loud bang. And they stick.

100_4684.JPG

So this is what TA sent me to fit a fat bike tire. Jumping like Evel Knievel is out with these tubes as you will most likely crush your rim like a pretzel nailing that landing....

100_4685.JPG

This is what I've been running, pre TA. And yes, I did try to fit these with the TA's, but no go, just not enough room in the TA liner to accept a traditional sized fat bike tube.

100_4686.JPG

Here is what my TA's replaced, the Mr Tuffy liners I've been running since determining tubeless wasn't working as great for me as it does for others. This pic does have me wondering about trying to fit the Tuffy in with the TA, for added protection. Talk about a weight penalty, though.

100_4688.JPG

So for anyone wondering what a 2.8 inch wide tube looks like in a fat tire TA, here you go. I still have serious reservations about this, but the bigger Bontragers are on standby.

100_4679.JPG

Finished product, looking no different then it did, pre-TA. I have not noticed any squirrely ride feel as the OP reported above, then again, a 26 X 4.0 120tpi Schwalbe Jumbo Jim fat bike tire is in an entirely different zip code compared to the more narrower tires found on most bikes.....

I finally got around to installing Tannus Armour in my 26 x 2.25 Schwalbe Marathon Plus H468 MTB tires. Working in the shop, the project took over an hour for each tire. I used 1.75 - 2.125 Slime heavy duty tubes which may have contributed to the difficult installation due to their thicker, bulkier profile. The tube size is within the recommended range published by Tannus.

The difficulty was seating the bead to the rim with the Tannus & tube installed. After breaking two quality tire bead tools, I resorted to clamping the tire to the rim in 8 places to gain some slack in the wire bead. This worked quite well but the process isn't something I would be able to repeat out on the trail. I plan to carry a spare tube sized for the tire, not the Tannus. Should I have a flat, I'll just remove the Armour and reinstall it later in the shop.

Tannus states it is possible to ride with a flat for 10 km. I'm curious if anyone has tried this. With no air in the tire, it is quite stiff but IMO, not stiff enough to ride on.

Tannus states it is possible to ride with a flat for 10 km. I'm curious if anyone has tried this. With no air in the tire, it is quite stiff but IMO, not stiff enough to ride on.
I can tell you with my Haibike Full FatSix, in the exact riding configuration in the picture above, cannot be ridden for any long distance with a flattened tube. Just too much a risk of bending the rim with all that weight bearing down. As I caught a flat (small thorn that went through the liner in nicked a hole in the tube; that advice by TA did occur to me. As the rear tire went flat, I realized in about 100 feet or less of riding, that to go any further would have resulted in a trashed rear rim.

That's what folks with a 4.0 inch tire, 80mm rim can expect, especially with those undersized tubes that TA supplies the fat tire kits with.....

Back