Lighter lowered powered vs Heavier higher powered

Cheese

So I am trying to decide what my first e-bike is going to be. I have finally narrrowed down my options after months and months of researching and indecision.

I am looking at some heavier conventional E-bikes with more power around 500w.

My question is will a lighter powered but very light e-bike make up for the lack of power? Are they in fact better for short commutes?

lighter

Like this bike is 30lbs with battery included. Its range is shorter than many bikes and its only 250w. Would the lighter bike make up for the lower power, as it has less weight to chug around?

Thinking about getting this bike, its Analog Motion. Maybe the GoCycle, which is like 3.5X the price, but also more powerful and foldable.

I think your should first decide what you want to do with your bike. Your level of physical fitness and any physical limitations should also be considered. Do you plan to commute, carry groceries, ride trails for recreation all of the above? As you've discovered, there are many types and styles of bikes out there today and some are better suited for specific tasks than others.

A lighter bike will most certainly go farther and faster while using less energy but that will change when you try to carry 30 or 40# of cargo. A heavier, more powerful bike will likely handle loads with less effect on performance.

IMO, The bike you're looking at would be a good choice for commuting and casual riding as long as you don't plan on lugging around a lot of gear. If range is a consideration, you could always carry a spare battery. The Analog Motion has plenty of available frame space to carry one.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

If you're from London as your profile says, wouldn't you have to register a 500W ebike as a motor vehicle?

I see you're in London, where the 15.5 mph limit of this bike meets your local laws. With the lower speed limit, a 250W motor would work fine. I assume it's pedal assist only, as throttles are not allowed in most of Europe. For the US, it's too slow for most customers. If you're worried about power now, maybe the AM1 will disappoint you. For most people, when they put down a load of cash for an ebike, they need that WOW factor.

We started with fast, powerful ebikes a few years ago. Those bikes were capable of 25+ mph. While I still own some fast ebikes, we're now riding 20" folders with small hub motors very similar to the AM1, and using batteries of similar capacity. DIfference is that I can throw a bigger battery on my bikes and go faster and farther, or carry spares, if looking at a longer ride,

There's a market for bikes like the AM1, but you have to decide if you really fit that market.

In cars lighter is better. If you're pedaling lighter is better.

But I've seen folks spend a lot on lightest tires and tubes and such to save 2lb, when they could lose 4lb for free and have more benefits.

What is the overall difference in weight, ready to ride?
Do you have to move the bike, like up stairs or hang on the wall?
Sometimes strength includes more weight - road riding with 10 stone rider is gonna be less stressful on the bike than off road with a 15 stone person.

Agree with those saying it has more to do with the gross weight, all up, than it does regarding just the bike. Light is good, but in some cases the bike is just a small piece of the gross, and the difference between a 45lb bike and a 65lb bike isn't THAT big a deal.

Of course I'm thinking average rider. I'm sure there are special interests who can make a good case for every pound saved.

Back