Light ebikes

How about the Faraday Cortland? Do keep in mind that light weight bikes have less range. I think these are great looking bikes. I haven't ridden one, but I spent a bit of time on my commute riding beside a Faraday Cortland rider and she said she was very happy with the bike.
https://www.faradaybikes.com/product/cortland/

Yes, it is 40 pounds. Though I didn't test ride it, it is one that I considered when I looked at my LBS. I nixxed it based on low range and lack of a throttle, which I thought would be a great feature to have in my very hilly region. I would like to test ride it some time, though! :)

It is an elegant bike. Beautiful design! The commuter I rode next to had a blue one. One important missing feature, though, for commuters is a *chain guard*, necessary to keep chain grease off of one's jeans/slacks though I guess one could always wear black to prevent any problem! ;)

I would like to see more lightweight bikes like the Cortland, but the front wheel drive may not be the best choice for riding on other than paved surfaces.

In the UK the Bristol Cycles S'Park Street is a step through weighing 42lb, for a ladies hybrid style ebike with an aluminium frame this weighs a few pounds lighter than competitors such as the Raleigh Motus (47lb) but still has a decent range from the 400wh battery.

A lightweight kit motor, suitable for most bikes is the Cytronex C1 (8lb including the small 180wh battery), reviewed on the UK ebike-tips website. Lightweight step through bikes/frames that would be suitable for converting include the Whyte Strawberry Hill(28lb+8lb), or Cytronex will do it for you on something like a Cannondale Quick Womens (26lb+8lb).

Folding bicycles from GoCycle (35lb including motor and battery), Brompton or Moulton are lightweight (but expensive).

oh!bike from Spain is lightweight for a complete ebike at 33lb, 24" wheels, 250w 36v front hub motor, 8ah/288wh battery, 3-speed IGH and belt drive.

You might like to also ask your question on the UK Pedelecs forum.

Last edited:
Cannondale has some pretty lightweight additions to their lineup for 2019. They have two models and both of them are around 40lbs with the Neo Synapse coming in at 38lbs.

They all have the Bosch Active Plus motor with a 500Wh Powertube battery.

AD2D660C-75C0-410B-9326-253666C2B3BE.jpeg
Cannondale Quick Neo - $3465
863D6BC5-3719-4F27-B805-5C4C47576E2E.jpeg
Cannondale Quick Neo EQ - $4000
5A52BECD-52C9-41BC-A8D7-C20A17EDAAF3.jpeg
Cannondale Synapse Neo SE - $4400
D9B23FAC-D54F-482B-8928-38AC337A7D0A.jpeg
Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 - $6850

Last edited:
I was very tempted by the Carbo, but wanted to wait until I saw a review. I joined the Carbobackers Facebook group and, at least for now, I'm relieved that I didn't go through with it.
The bikes are being delivered very slowly, to put it charitably. In most cases, the batteries were shipped separately, so a number of buyers had a bike, but no battery for a while. There are at least a few complaints
about various fit and finish issues. The people who have received complete and intact bikes do, however, seem to be very happy with their purchases. It could be birthing pains, but it's not been the
smoothest roll out.

Back