Life span of an eBike

Sharonerd

Hi eBikers..
I'm curious as to how long you expect to get out a an electric kit. I know that batteries have a limited life, but if anyone has any experience or views on how long you can expect the rest of the kit to last (in cycling distance), I'd appreciate your response.
Thanks.

Hi @Sharonerd , Lifespan is relative to the quality of kit you buy, type of battery, how you're using it and consistent regular maintenance (like checking tire pressure, lube the chain, etc.) What's your goal for the kit? I'm a fan of conversions when you're wanting to upgrade a bike that you really like, that fits you & your lifestyle just right. For instance, one of the EBikes that I ride is a hand built folding bike, the Airnimal, with smaller 24" wheels which better fits my 5'4" height and shorter leg length. This bike has a BionX kit on it, so the final product is lighter than any ebike on the market.

I have set my expectations in the 3 year camp also, doing 25 miles or more nearly everyday. A 2nd battery can help extend life by avoiding deep discharge IMO. I expect the platform (Haibike) to outlast the electric components and hope to do a partial DIY upgrade when required, 750 watt mid drive replacement, 48 volt battery bag etc. -S

I thought I replied to this but I do not see my post. Yes I suppose I'm a heavy duty user. About 110 miles each week.

Hi eBikers..
I'm curious as to how long you expect to get out a an electric kit. I know that batteries have a limited life, but if anyone has any experience or views on how long you can expect the rest of the kit to last (in cycling distance), I'd appreciate your response.
Thanks.

Batteries: Whether you use your bike all the time like Brambor (kudos!) or just the ocassional weekend, your battery will degrade and lose capacity, even if you maintain it per the manual. Would expect no more than 4 years life before the range becomes an issue.

I wouldn't buy a second battery until the first one wears out.. Youre just wasting money, unless you need the extra range. I bought two batteries with my first bike, and the backup battery degraded just as fast as the main battery, even though I hardly used it.

Motor: Direct Drive Hub motors can last tens of thousands of miles.. Motor that have integrated controllers will have a lot more problems, so it is better to buy a bike where the controller is not part of the hub motor. can't speak about the other types of motors.

Everything else will age just like the rest of your bike.. Electrical connections can be troublesome in cold and wet climates, so it just comes down to a quality build and your location.

My personal experience was that every major component failed numerous times on my expensive first eBike over 5 years, except the main battery. My second eBike, also expensive, has been trouble free for 2500 miles. I think these manufacturers are learning from each other.

I plan on selling my current eBike after 3 years, and buy a better one!

@JoePah , Heat and humidity has its own challenges relative to degrading lithium batteries and some motors, too. It has been my experience that the manufacturers who learn from design & performance issues have come back with better bikes and batteries. The product that we sold 3-5 years ago didn't necessarily have the same resilience that today's do. Lifespan of the individual components will vary, so I find it difficult to say that a kit is going to be toast in 3 years time; maybe just not as cool as the latest greatest new unit.

Batteries: Whether you use your bike all the time like Brambor (kudos!) or just the ocassional weekend, your battery will degrade and lose capacity, even if you maintain it per the manual. Would expect no more than 4 years life before the range becomes an issue.

I wouldn't buy a second battery until the first one wears out.. Youre just wasting money, unless you need the extra range. I bought two batteries with my first bike, and the backup battery degraded just as fast as the main battery, even though I hardly used it.

Motor: Direct Drive Hub motors can last tens of thousands of miles.. Motor that have integrated controllers will have a lot more problems, so it is better to buy a bike where the controller is not part of the hub motor. can't speak about the other types of motors.

Everything else will age just like the rest of your bike.. Electrical connections can be troublesome in cold and wet climates, so it just comes down to a quality build and your location.

My personal experience was that every major component failed numerous times on my expensive first eBike over 5 years, except the main battery. My second eBike, also expensive, has been trouble free for 2500 miles. I think these manufacturers are learning from each other.

I plan on selling my current eBike after 3 years, and buy a better one!
That's a really helpful response - Thanks!
I've had a Daa Hub kit on my touring bike for just over 3 years. . There have been so many problems that is actually been 3 kits (except the battery) in 3 years and I'm fed up. The supplier is too and the bike is being decommissioned. There was a suggestion that I've had my value from it. I disagree. Its used for commuting - I've only averaged about 5,000km per year on it, though that's hard to calculate as the computer on it has been changed about 4 times.
Just wondering what's realistic to expect and what to do next.
Are kits generally more troublesome that pre-builts?

Sharonerd- it depends really on what electric kit you are looking at. At my shop, we encourage customers to invest in the more expensive and higher quality products that will and do last longer than lower quality lower priced products because they are simply made with better materials. The comments above that talk about 3 years on kit do tend to be the lower quality kit's life spans and even if you maintain them, the sad truth is that after 3 years, the company's reselling the lower quality product tend to not be around any more to enable you to invest in a new battery. Or the product itself has been sunseted and no spare parts are around. This can be true of the higher priced products too, but more so on the lower end.

With the higher quality kits from BIONX and others I tell customers that you should expect a long life span on this investment - and that's why you're paying more for it. 6 to 10 years would not be uncommon.

On the ebike side as well- we think - if you' re going to spend $3000 and $4000 and up for an e-bike, the product should last as much as a similarly priced regular bike. Batteries expire, but motors should keep on ticking for years and years. We are, for instance, anticipating very long life out of the BOSCH systems.

Joe

My second eBike, also expensive, has been trouble free for 2500 miles. I think these manufacturers are learning from each other.

Good to hear about your success second time around! I agree that *some* ebikes that are being produced now seem to be of much higher quality than the older ones around.

Better components, better battery packs, just more like a real bike (still lots of cheapies out there too, I know).

As long as we pay well under MSRP, we might be getting true value, if we shop carefully!

We are, for instance, anticipating very long life out of the BOSCH systems.

Excellent point. I think my Haibike will last just like any other bike - almost forever - as long as I replace / repair damaged & worn out components. Replacing the battery pack, admittedly costly, could be the only change I will need forever.

Hey about the mid drive bikes, so the frame is custom for the motor right? I too think my frame will last a long time, but I now wonder about motor replacements or upgrades. I assume Bosch, Yamaha, Panasonic, etc all have different motor mounts? So do we need to hope our chosen mid-drive manufacture continues (and doesn't change the form factor)?

Surprised by the 3 year votes -- I am hoping for more years than that! My friend has his old bike with a BionX kit that he uses every day that's 7 years old without any problem. I expect to change the battery after a few years but that's it -- my thinking is that I will get tired of the bike (wanting new tech) before the bike gets tired of me! Buy a good product and you should be fine for years to come.

I took by Bosch mid drive bike in for service today. I have Active line. I asked about upgrading to Performance line. Seems the current Bosch position is to replace only with what you have. My LBS is digging deeper for me.

I ride my 2015 Evo Cross about 120 miles a week. Because of 5 year warranty (not including battery), I hope to get at least 5 years out of it with only one battery replacement (I usually take battery down to only 50%).

I'll be disappointed if any quality bike doesn't last more than 3 years!

Batteries are getting better all the time and 2-3 years from now we probably won't be replacing with Lifepo4, but the next advance which may well hold more than double the charge for the same or less $ as now. :)

Back