Lectric XP Ride and Range Reports

Dude i hadnt heard of the surface 604 rook until you just mentioned it. Nice lookin bike congrats!
Thanks. I have a 2017 model and like it a lot. It's my "cruiser" bike while the XP will be my "trail/travel" bike. The 2 things I like best about it is that it has hydraulic disc brakes and a torque sensor for the motor. That torque sensor delivers power so smoothly! I paid I think about $1700 for it. The newer models have gone up in price and they re-designed the look. It's been a pretty good value purchase for the features.

Thanks. I have a 2017 model and like it a lot. It's my "cruiser" bike while the XP will be my "trail/travel" bike. The 2 things I like best about it is that it has hydraulic disc brakes and a torque sensor for the motor. That torque sensor delivers power so smoothly! I paid I think about $1700 for it. The newer models have gone up in price and they re-designed the look. It's been a pretty good value purchase for the features.
Oh yeah i agree about the torque sensors. I recently bought a trek mid drive with a bosch motor. My 13 yr old always grabs it before me when we go riding, he calls it "his bike" im perfectly happy with the rear hub motor tho on the XP and the Rad. The more i ride the XP the more i like it and the happier i am for snatching it up at $900

Oh yeah i agree about the torque sensors. I recently bought a trek mid drive with a bosch motor. My 13 yr old always grabs it before me when we go riding, he calls it "his bike" im perfectly happy with the rear hub motor tho on the XP and the Rad. The more i ride the XP the more i like it and the happier i am for snatching it up at $900
Mine is coming today according to FedEx. Looking forward to the ride!

My first ride report. You can find pictures by clicking this link. Bike #407x ordered 8/16/19; delivered 9/27/19. Ride was approximately 9 miles in distance, and the battery indicator dropped 2 bars.

The Good:
  • Unboxing and setup was straightforward and easy.
  • Battery was already pretty much fully charged, but put it on charger anyway. Light turned green in about 1 hour.
  • I could not find one loose screw anywhere. Everything seemed to be tightened down and secure.
  • The pedals were securely fastened and there felt like some sort of grease (maybe Loctite) around them. I could not tighten the pedals any further. They did not come loose during the ride and never felt loose at any time.
  • Inflated the tires to 25 PSI for first ride. The tires are pretty nice. I rode them over a lot of questionable material and they performed well. I was thoroughly impressed when I rode the bike over the small crunchy seashells along the shoreline. If anything could have punctured them, these had the ability to do so. No problem.
  • Tested the shifter without any PAS. I bent back the guard and everything shifted OK. Some difficulty between gear 6 and 7 at times. A bit of clunking at times. Would not want to ride this any distance without PAS.
  • I had no issues whatsoever with the brakes. Stopping power was good, no squeaking, rubbing, smells, or bad sounds of any sort. I will still probably get them looked at, however.
  • No discernible battery rattle. In fact, no discernible rattles of any sort.
  • Took my usual ride across town from west to east and back. Rode across pavement, beach sand and some open grassy fields. The bike bogged down in deep sand but rode quite beautifully along the lakeshore. Rocks, pebbles and small crunchy shells were no obstacle. Did not change PSI across any terrain.
  • I found that riding at PAS 2 with the gear shifter at 7 provided a nice balance between exertion and ease. I could tell I was pedaling but was never out of breath. What few small inclines I took were conquered easily. I can see myself riding right at this level easily for large distances. I did not bother to go over PAS 3. I do not think at this point I will increase the setting to get the 28 MPH top speed. I may try it once or twice, but practically speaking I don't think I will ever truly need it.
  • Into a small headwind I was able to get up to 18 MPH with full throttle. I noticed here that the energy bar went down substantially when I was drawing this much current (20). It recovered as soon as I released the throttle and went back to pedaling.
  • I never once got that stinging nerve sensation between my thumb and index finger that I usually get on longer rides on my cruiser bike. Being 5'10" tall the adjustments to seat and handlebars provided a good position.
The Sorta Bad:
  • There was a small area of paint chipping around the downtube joint where the bike folds. I'll have to touch that up. No other dings or chips.
  • The latch was a new mechanism I hadn't seen in any pictures. The security latch is now built right in, and to loosen the latch you just slide the lever forward and then lift the latch. It's going in this column but if all continues to go well I'd move it up to The Good.
  • Not sure I am thrilled with the position of the key. I like that it's out of the way when you ride and doesn't bang on anything, but it is a PIA to get under there and insert it.
  • Comparing the bike's computer to the Map My Ride app, the GPS showed about a consistent 0.5 mile difference in distance as well as MPH. I am not a fanatic about such things, so for me it's hardly an issue, but it does have to be chalked up as a "sorta bad" item. You can see comparison photos in my Google album referenced above.
  • The shifter probably needs a tuneup.
  • The handlebars are short and not much real estate on them for additional gear. I had to squeeze in my phone holder. But I find them adequate for riding. The grips were OK for me. I need to install a rearview mirror.
  • Turning is tricky. Finding that right combination of PAS and speed will take a little practice. I did not make any sharp maneuvers.
  • The lights are adequate. I will probably add a flashing red light to the seatpost.
The Ugly
  • The lack of suspension was noticeable to me. The ride across open grassy fields was bone-rattling. My Surface 604 and the Rad Mini both have suspension forks, so I have been used to having suspension. I could reduce the PSI for more comfort, but I also think a suspension seat post and new saddle are in the future for me. I took a particularly bumpy stretch of bad road in my neighborhood at full throttle (20 MPH) and it was touch-and-go there for awhile.
  • I don't really like the display all that much. It tells you what you need to know, but it's kinda ugly-looking.
  • The bell sucks. It's not really worth the handlebar real estate it takes up.
First impression: A good bike for the money. The Rad Mini overall is a better quality bike, and rides much nicer, but not $600 nicer. I've called this the "Volkswagen Bug" of electric bikes, and I think this first ride confirms that. I drove a lot of VWs (bugs, vans, squareback) in the late 60s/70s, and riding this ebike feels like driving a VW. I can tell I am going to enjoy this bike. I'm heading for the 1000 Islands for a little getaway, and will be taking the bike up there and doing more riding. Local Rails-to-Trails rides will come next, and hopefully before the winter hits I can get on a part of the Erie Canal Trailway. Feel free to ask any questions!

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_113638.jpg
    IMG_20190928_113638.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
My first ride report. You can find pictures by clicking this link. Bike #407x ordered 8/16/19; delivered 9/27/19. Ride was approximately 9 miles in distance, and the battery indicator dropped 2 bars.

The Good:
  • Battery was already pretty much fully charged, but put it on charger anyway. Light turned green in about 1 hour.
  • I could not find one loose screw anywhere. Everything seemed to be tightened down and secure.
  • The pedals were securely fastened and there felt like some sort of grease (maybe Loctite) around them. I could not tighten the pedals any further. They did not come loose during the ride and never felt loose at any time.
  • Inflated the tires to 25 PSI for first ride. The tires are pretty nice. I rode them over a lot of questionable material and they performed well. I was thoroughly impressed when I rode the bike over the small crunchy seashells along the shoreline. If anything could have punctured them, these had the ability to do so. No problem.
  • Tested the shifter without any PAS. I bent back the guard and everything shifted OK. Some difficulty between gear 6 and 7 at times. A bit of clunking at times. Would not want to ride this any distance without PAS.
  • I had no issues whatsoever with the brakes. Stopping power was good, no squeaking, rubbing, smells, or bad sounds of any sort. I will still probably get them looked at, however.
  • Took my usual ride across town from west to east and back. Rode across pavement, beach sand and some open grassy fields. The bike bogged down in deep sand but rode quite beautifully along the lakeshore. Rocks, pebbles and small crunchy shells were no obstacle. Did not change PSI across any terrain.
  • I found that riding at PAS 2 with the gear shifter at 7 provided a nice balance between exertion and ease. I could tell I was pedaling but was never out of breath. What few small inclines I took were conquered easily. I can see myself riding right at this level easily for large distances. I did not bother to go over PAS 3. I do not think at this point I will increase the setting to get the 28 MPH top speed. I may try it once or twice, but practically speaking I don't think I will ever truly need it.
  • Into a small headwind I was able to get up to 18 MPH with full throttle. I noticed here that the energy bar went down substantially when I was drawing this much current (20). It recovered as soon as I released the throttle and went back to pedaling.
  • I never once got that stinging nerve sensation between my thumb and index finger that I usually get on longer rides on my cruiser bike. Being 5'10" tall the adjustments to seat and handlebars provided a good position.
The Sorta Bad:
  • There was a small area of paint chipping around the downtube joint where the bike folds. I'll have to touch that up. No other dings or chips.
  • The latch was a new mechanism I hadn't seen in any pictures. The security latch is now built right in, and to loosen the latch you just slide the lever forward and then lift the latch. It's going in this column but if all continues to go well I'd move it up to The Good.
  • Not sure I am thrilled with the position of the key. I like that it's out of the way when you ride and doesn't bang on anything, but it is a PIA to get under there and insert it.
  • Comparing the bike's computer to the Map My Ride app, the GPS showed about a consistent 0.5 mile difference in distance as well as MPH. I am not a fanatic about such things, so for me it's hardly an issue, but it does have to be chalked up as a "sorta bad" item. You can see comparison photos in my Google album referenced above.
  • The handlebars are short and not much real estate on them for additional gear. I had to squeeze in my phone holder. But I find them adequate for riding. The grips were OK for me. I need to install a rearview mirror.
  • Turning is tricky. Finding that right combination of PAS and speed will take a little practice. I did not make any sharp maneuvers.
  • The lights are adequate. I will probably add a flashing red light to the seatpost.
The Ugly
  • The lack of suspension was noticeable to me. The ride across open grassy fields was bone-rattling. My Surface 604 and the Rad Mini both have suspension forks, so I have been used to having suspension. I could reduce the PSI for more comfort, but I also think a suspension seat post and new saddle are in the future for me. I took a particularly bumpy stretch of bad road in my neighborhood at full throttle (20 MPH) and it was touch-and-go there for awhile.
  • I don't really like the display all that much. It tells you what you need to know, but it's kinda ugly-looking.
First impression: A good bike for the money. The Rad Mini overall is a better quality bike, and rides much nicer, but not $600 nicer. I've called this the "Volkswagen Bug" of electric bikes, and I think this first ride confirms that. I drove a lot of VWs (bugs, vans, squareback) in the late 60s/70s, and riding this ebike feels like driving a VW. I can tell I am going to enjoy this bike. I'm heading for the 1000 Islands for a little getaway, and will be taking the bike up there and doing more riding. Local Rails-to-Trails rides will come next, and hopefully before the winter hits I can get on a part of the Erie Canal Trailway. Feel free to ask any questions!
Great report! And I really appreciate you linking to it from other forum.

The Good:
The Sorta Bad:
The Ugly
Real nice. What a beautiful place to ride.

Well I did two trips with my bike, or tried to... The first trip was on Friday, I am a self employed plumber so often work weird or long hours couple that with living in the Pacific "northwet" and I haven't been out on my new toy. On Friday I moved my afternoon jobs to the next week, loaded up my gear and the bike and took off to an area with trails so that I could enjoy my bike. I got to the parking lot, put all of my geeky safety gear on, took out the bike, unfolded it to get it ready to ride and found out I didn't have the key :rolleyes:. There were quite a few people standing around in the parking lot so I can imagine that they were scratching their heads watching someone dress up, take out and unfold a bike, then refold the bike to put it away again, undress, and leave without using the bike. When I got home I found out I was even dumber than just leaving the key at home...I had left the battery at home as well! So today (Sunday) I brought both of my batteries and keys and planned to ride until I had killed one battery. Where I rode was almost completely flat and probable 3/4's on pavement and the rest on hardpacked trails and almost all of the time I was on level 3 or less (out of 5). I had hooked up my phone beside the screen so that I could check out the difference between Lectric and the GPS. I found out that the speed was pretty close but the odometer was off. On the GPS it took 63.5 km (39.5 m) to kill the battery while on the Lectric it showed 53 (33). I did try top speed and managed to reach 27.8 mph on the GPS so all in all I was happy with the bike. I also found the saddle to be fine for me with no pain or discomfort but I will have to be careful of what shoes I wear as the pedals seemed quite slippery to me because of the type of sole on my shoes.

Last edited:
I have had my bike for a week and a couple of days. I had my eyes on several accessories but decided to wait till after I got the bike to see if i really needed them. I borrowed a bigger seat of my old bike and while initially it was still uncomfortable, it has got much more comfortable as I have ridden more and my butt is getting used to riding more than before. Someone on the forum said that would be the case and that purchase may not now take place. A suspension seat post is still on the list and will probably get ordered soon.
Another item still on my list would be some different handlebars. I would like something a little wider as well as swept back a bit, but don't want to lose the fold-ability of the bike as it will be going in the Suburban when we go camping. open to suggestions there.
Speed wise, I have been able to attain close to the 28 mph mark several times for a very brief moment. I had my eyes on better gearing to help out the top end, but find it not that comfortable going the higher speed. Most of the time i am on PAS 1 and 3rd or 4th gear. I will adjust gearing as I hit the downhill parts as well as the steeper hills. Battery seems MUCH more happier returning longer range when only PAS 1 & 2 are used.
Most of my riding has been on hard pavement with a only a few trail segments thrown in. I'm just not comfortable on the winding trails as the PAS will kick in as I get to a curve or other technical spot. I might try to remember to switch to PAS 0 when off road and use the twist throttle as needed.
Tommy B noted that the PAS kicks in in stages and I also noted that. It can take 2 or 3 revolutions of the crank to get it to kick in and also takes a bit to get to full speed assist. I now use the twist throttle to take up the gaps when needed. Come in handy especially when i forget to downshift when i come to a stop or want to cross a busy road as quickly as possible.
I now have about 100 miles racked up on the odometer.

I have had my bike for a week and a couple of days. I had my eyes on several accessories but decided to wait till after I got the bike to see if i really needed them. I borrowed a bigger seat of my old bike and while initially it was still uncomfortable, it has got much more comfortable as I have ridden more and my butt is getting used to riding more than before. Someone on the forum said that would be the case and that purchase may not now take place. A suspension seat post is still on the list and will probably get ordered soon.
Another item still on my list would be some different handlebars. I would like something a little wider as well as swept back a bit, but don't want to lose the fold-ability of the bike as it will be going in the Suburban when we go camping. open to suggestions there.
Speed wise, I have been able to attain close to the 28 mph mark several times for a very brief moment. I had my eyes on better gearing to help out the top end, but find it not that comfortable going the higher speed. Most of the time i am on PAS 1 and 3rd or 4th gear. I will adjust gearing as I hit the downhill parts as well as the steeper hills. Battery seems MUCH more happier returning longer range when only PAS 1 & 2 are used.
Most of my riding has been on hard pavement with a only a few trail segments thrown in. I'm just not comfortable on the winding trails as the PAS will kick in as I get to a curve or other technical spot. I might try to remember to switch to PAS 0 when off road and use the twist throttle as needed.
Tommy B noted that the PAS kicks in in stages and I also noted that. It can take 2 or 3 revolutions of the crank to get it to kick in and also takes a bit to get to full speed assist. I now use the twist throttle to take up the gaps when needed. Come in handy especially when i forget to downshift when i come to a stop or want to cross a busy road as quickly as possible.
If you feather one of the brakes very lightly you can peddle around technical parts without the motor kicking in as the cutoff sensor kicks in before the brakes start grabbing. My PAS starts in at one revolution, maybe because I set P11 to 1?

I forgot to mention tapping the brakes to cancel out PAS. I do try to remember to pinch a lever when I dont want the extra push to kick in but sometimes I do forget. I'm sure it gets more automatic with time. I'm guessing that P11 is locked out on mine. I know for sure my wheel size is locked at 20.0. I wanted to fix the odometer problem but I'm sure it would have made the speedo off if I changed it. I will likely wait till someone comes up with a different controller/display option to swap in. I really dont like the big display anymore since the odometer cant be trusted. It gets in the way if I want to stand the bike upside down to work on a tire and also could see it causing a problem drawing attention while locked up. One of my projects for today is to try and find some 1.5 inch wide yellow reflective tape to cover the "Lectric" label on the frame. I can see where some people might have a problem with my electric bike on a bike path. I would prefer to avoid any chance for conflict.

Interesting. When I'm in pas 0, the throttle is disabled for me.

Interesting. When I'm in pas 0, the throttle is disabled for me.

Yes, tried it yesterday and no throttle on PAS 0. It was a hypothesis that needed testing by me. Also tried another section of off road trail and it was not fun at all. The hard pack dirt was fine but deep sand, rock ledges, and tree roots were pretty tough. I will try and keep it on smoother surfaces.

I just reached 100 miles total on my XP, and did my first battery range test. In mild to moderately hilly terrain with 190# rider and 5# of tools in the panniers, and giving moderate to heavy pedaling effort in PAS 2-3, I only got 25 miles on a charge (by the odometer, so may be more in real miles). Bit of a disappointment, but next I'll do an odometer test and see how much range it really had, maybe it's better than it seems.

If you feather one of the brakes very lightly you can peddle around technical parts without the motor kicking in as the cutoff sensor kicks in before the brakes start grabbing. My PAS starts in at one revolution, maybe because I set P11 to 1?
Yes i have 11 set to 1 too. If you start out in pas 1 from a stop you can feel the motor engage faster but if you are rolling along at about12-15mph and have pas set at 5 it takes several revolutions of the crank to feel the assist as the bike is cycling through pas 1 through 4. Setting 12 to 5 feels like it helps but motor kicks in pretty hard when you want to use lower pas modes for more technical riding. Im getting used to it though. When on my rad pas kicks in within half a crank or so no matter how fast you are going or what you have pas set for. I like to ride loose dirt trails and a lot of them are quite hilly. It sucks when you are trying to crest a steep hill and it takes several cranks for motor to help. Still loving the bike though.

I just reached 100 miles total on my XP, and did my first battery range test. In mild to moderately hilly terrain with 190# rider and 5# of tools in the panniers, and giving moderate to heavy pedaling effort in PAS 2-3, I only got 25 miles on a charge (by the odometer, so may be more in real miles). Bit of a disappointment, but next I'll do an odometer test and see how much range it really had, maybe it's better than it seems.
My odometer is off by 32% and speedometer shows 2 to 3mph less then actual speed.

My speedometer measures fairly accurate vs GPS with the factory settings (wheel size 20). The odometer was reading 14% below actual distance in my 5 mile test.

Back