Lectric XP Ride and Range Reports

Took probably the last major trail ride of the year this afternoon. A little minor knee surgery and winter's arrival will probably shut me down on trails until spring. Today's thoughts:
  • Today's stats: 14.56 miles, 10.76 average MPH, 376 elevation (1213' - 1371'). 887 calories burned (not nearly enough). Stats via Runkeeper on phone.
  • About 1/3 battery left. PAS 1-2 on trail. Gear range varied from 4-7. Had to do a little experimentation to find the right relaxed combination of PAS and pedaling to go slow, sure and steady so as to enjoy the scenery. This was more difficult to do that I had imagined.
  • From Prospect Station Road in Portland NY to Mayville NY and back via the Chautauqua Rails to Trails. Surface a mix of charcoal, hard-pack dirt, soft field grass, pavement.
  • The bike handled the trail in great fashion! It felt stable and rugged. I have so far made only one change to the stock bike, and that was to put a Cloud 9 seat I had on an old Electra Townie on to the XP. I need to adjust that seat forward a little, as I did find myself scooting back on the seat constantly.
  • I rode with the handlebars up as high as possible, and I tried to keep the seat a little high as well. But after this ride I think I am going to lower the seat more and sacrifice leg extension for less pressure on the wrists and hands. Even with gloves my hands began to tingle at time, due I think to too much pressure leaning over the handlebar grips.
  • The ride overall was rough, and I bounced around quite a bit. A suspension seatpost is clearly in the future, as well as a wider saddle and a toprack bag (the free panniers sort of suck, but for now are serviceable). I miss a front suspension fork. Air pressure on the tires was 25 PSI. Perhaps I should lower that as well on trails. At one point I abandoned the trail to ride on pavement for a bit and give the old bones a break. My hope is that XPv2 will have a front suspension fork.
  • One thing I did not expect to experience - I did not like the speed of the bike as it passed along the trail. I walk/hike as well, and I'll be damned if I did not find that traveling through the scenery and the woods at the pace of an XP was not as aesthetically enjoyable as walking. When I am walking, it is so easy to take in the scenery around you and reach a nice, relaxed, contemplative feeling. Not so on an ebike. I had to pay far too much attention to the actual act of riding. I laid the bike down only once, trying to get through a large puddle, and my phone got jarred out of its holder once as well (which I did not notice until about 300 yards down the trail). Navigating the ruts and bumps takes far more attention than walking. While I can travel further and see more scenery, the experience overall is not as pleasing. Paved bike trail mitigated this somewhat.
  • I'm not usually one to document my rides or much else in my life, but I did stop to take some photos for you all, as so many people have been so kind in sharing information as we all have been getting these new bikes. My overall impression of the bike itself is still quite positive, but at this point I am pretty sure its use will be relegated to RV travelling and trail riding. My Surface 604 will continue to be my "daily driver," as it has a smoother ride overall (love that torque sensor and hydraulic brakes!). I'm an $899 guy, and the value this bike has for my intended purposes is hard to beat. If only it had a suspension fork (sigh). The large lake is Chautauqua Lake. Behind the bike along the shoreline across the lake is Chautauqua Institution as well as the paddleboat the Chautauqua Belle.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure my battery has a dead cell. My range is nowhere near everyone else’s. I took mine for a 16 mile ride and it was iffy making it home. Battery had 41.8v left. I thought we were supposed to get about 20 miles throttle only. I did PAS 3 and was peddling hard so the bike wouldn’t have to help much. Thought the range was 25-50 miles.

the entire ride was paved on a flat bike trail.

Took probably the last major trail ride of the year this afternoon. A little minor knee surgery and winter's arrival will probably shut me down on trails until spring. Today's thoughts:
  • Today's stats: 14.56 miles, 10.76 average MPH, 376 elevation (1213' - 1371'). 887 calories burned (not nearly enough). Stats via Runkeeper on phone.
  • About 1/3 battery left. PAS 1-2 on trail. Gear range varied from 4-7. Had to do a little experimentation to find the right relaxed combination of PAS and pedaling to go slow, sure and steady so as to enjoy the scenery. This was more difficult to do that I had imagined.
  • From Prospect Station Road in Portland NY to Mayville NY and back via the Chautauqua Rails to Trails. Surface a mix of charcoal, hard-pack dirt, soft field grass, pavement.
  • The bike handled the trail in great fashion! It felt stable and rugged. I have so far made only one change to the stock bike, and that was to put a Cloud 9 seat I had on an old Electra Townie on to the XP. I need to adjust that seat forward a little, as I did find myself scooting back on the seat constantly.
  • I rode with the handlebars up as high as possible, and I tried to keep the seat a little high as well. But after this ride I think I am going to lower the seat more and sacrifice leg extension for less pressure on the wrists and hands. Even with gloves my hands began to tingle at time, due I think to too much pressure leaning over the handlebar grips.
  • The ride overall was rough, and I bounced around quite a bit. A suspension seatpost is clearly in the future, as well as a wider saddle and a toprack bag (the free panniers sort of suck, but for now are serviceable). I miss a front suspension fork. Air pressure on the tires was 25 PSI. Perhaps I should lower that as well on trails. At one point I abandoned the trail to ride on pavement for a bit and give the old bones a break. My hope is that XPv2 will have a front suspension fork.
  • One thing I did not expect to experience - I did not like the speed of the bike as it passed along the trail. I walk/hike as well, and I'll be damned if I did not find that traveling through the scenery and the woods at the pace of an XP was not as aesthetically enjoyable as walking. When I am walking, it is so easy to take in the scenery around you and reach a nice, relaxed, contemplative feeling. Not so on an ebike. I had to pay far too much attention to the actual act of riding. I laid the bike down only once, trying to get through a large puddle, and my phone got jarred out of its holder once as well (which I did not notice until about 300 yards down the trail). Navigating the ruts and bumps takes far more attention than walking. While I can travel further and see more scenery, the experience overall is not as pleasing. Paved bike trail mitigated this somewhat.
  • I'm not usually one to document my rides or much else in my life, but I did stop to take some photos for you all, as so many people have been so kind in sharing information as we all have been getting these new bikes. My overall impression of the bike itself is still quite positive, but at this point I am pretty sure its use will be relegated to RV travelling and trail riding. My Surface 604 will continue to be my "daily driver," as it has a smoother ride overall (love that torque sensor and hydraulic brakes!). I'm an $899 guy, and the value this bike has for my intended purposes is hard to beat. If only it had a suspension fork (sigh). The large lake is Chautauqua Lake. Behind the bike along the shoreline across the lake is Chautauqua Institution as well as the paddleboat the Chautauqua Belle.
View attachment 40499View attachment 40500View attachment 40501View attachment 40502View attachment 40503View attachment 40504
Nice report and I'll have to try that rails to trails. I agree with you and that the scenery goes by a bit too fast even in level 1. I wish that pas1 was around five or 6 miles an hour. I run my tires at 19 pounds, much more comfortable there.

Nice report and I'll have to try that rails to trails. I agree with you and that the scenery goes by a bit too fast even in level 1. I wish that pas1 was around five or 6 miles an hour. I run my tires at 19 pounds, much more comfortable there.
I think lowering the tire pressure is a good tip. Will give that a try.

Took the bike over our tallest high rise bridge here in Florida today. For those wondering about the climbing ability. PAS2 and 4th gear made it an easy trip at 15 MPH up and 25 MPH down with no assist. Looked like it used about a tenth of a volt.

This is our highest hill I did the test over. It is a rise of 68' in the middle and is a half mile total. Seemed like winter. It was 76 degrees.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_219 Nov. 02 18.59.jpg
    ScreenHunter_219 Nov. 02 18.59.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 514
  • ScreenHunter_219 Nov. 02 18.58.jpg
    ScreenHunter_219 Nov. 02 18.58.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 522
Finally made it to 300 today while riding on the dikes around the seashore. I also found a couple of beached giraffes.

Attachments

• 20191102_143218.jpg
    20191102_143218.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 537
  • 20191027_143654.jpg
    20191027_143654.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 20191027_143852.jpg
    20191027_143852.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 538
Hit the 600km mark today and the worst problem I've had with the bike is the charging port cover doesn't cover the hole! Where I live it's all hills and main roads so it's kind of ugly riding since I'm always in traffic. The hills are so steep that I often hit 50+kms(30mph) just rolling down them so they really eat my battery going up and my average distance is only 40kms per battery charge (25miles). I did a test one time on flat ground and went 63 kms (38miles) but I was averaging just over 30k (20mph) so would have done much better if I had just puttered along at say, 20k or 12mph. All in all a pretty good bike but a bigger battery would be nice, (hello Aliexpress...)

Attachments

• 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 460
Finally made it to 1000kms! We have had a week of rain but finally got out even though it was drizzling a bit. See you at 1500kms. Not one problem with the bike so far, just some intermittent noise from the brakes which might be fixed with new brake shoes. Go Lectric! (sorry about the photo, I only get to ride at night and I'm not much of a photographer)

Attachments

• 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 483
Just got back from my longest ride so far on the XP. Kept it in PAS1 and did not use the twist throttle. This was on a couple of bike paths with mileage posts every 1/4 mile. The odometer is off by 25%! 3 miles indicated is actually 4 miles. The 20 miles indicated would be a 25 mile trip in reality.

I know this is an old post, and I don't have Lectric XP, but if you can adjust your wheel diameter in the display, you might get more accurate readings.

I have a 20" fat tire Spark Mini, and it was regularly off by about 10% or so when compared to what Strava and Google Maps both showed. I also didn't feel like I was going quite the speed it was saying.

By bumping up my tire diameter to 22" I found that my trip counter was within 100m for every 10km traveled, and when I rode beside my friend in a car at a constant speed, the speedometer was accurate. I guess it's because a lot of these motors think of rim diameter, and at 20" they don't compensate for the added diameter of a fat tire.

:)

I know this is an old post, and I don't have Lectric XP, but if you can adjust your wheel diameter in the display, you might get more accurate readings.

I have a 20" fat tire Spark Mini, and it was regularly off by about 10% or so when compared to what Strava and Google Maps both showed. I also didn't feel like I was going quite the speed it was saying.

By bumping up my tire diameter to 22" I found that my trip counter was within 100m for every 10km traveled, and when I rode beside my friend in a car at a constant speed, the speedometer was accurate. I guess it's because a lot of these motors think of rim diameter, and at 20" they don't compensate for the added diameter of a fat tire.
Great point about the controller not compensating for the added diameter of a fat tire! I agree with your assessment of this and it makes total sense. Thanks for your input.

I normally get around 40kms or 25miles from my battery using level 3 for most of the trip (on the 5 pas setting) but today I used mostly level 2 on paved bike paths and only made 30kms or 18miles. I may have to buy the patch cables and put one of the bigger batteries from my other bike on the rear rack at this rate.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood today so I thought I would do a battery check. I chose a flat route on a dike that was a mixture of pavement and very hard packed gravel that rode just like being on pavement. I kept the bike in PAS 2 and 4th gear at an average speed of 20k or 12mph and all I could get out of my battery was 40k or 24mi, and even at that I had to shift down 1 gear to keep the same speed for the last kilometer. The voltmeter was hovering in the high 43.? volts by the end of the ride.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood today so I thought I would do a battery check. I chose a flat route on a dike that was a mixture of pavement and very hard packed gravel that rode just like being on pavement. I kept the bike in PAS 2 and 4th gear at an average speed of 20k or 12mph and all I could get out of my battery was 40k or 24mi, and even at that I had to shift down 1 gear to keep the same speed for the last kilometer. The voltmeter was hovering in the high 43.? volts by the end of the ride.
Mine is similar....I pedal under no power for probably 4 km and ride total of 24 km in pas 2 and my battery is at less than 50% and if I use that remaining 50% I can't pull pas 5 and it drops quite quickly..

I’ve had my XP for just over two weeks and am currently at about 180 miles. I‘ve got 3 days of nice weather before some rain comes in for a few days, I’m expecting to get in 45 miles or more in those three days. I’m mostly riding at PAS 2, a bit at PAS 1 and a bit less at PAS 3. Mostly pavement but it’s 1 mile gravel driveway to the pavement so a couple miles of gravel each ride (which is when I ride at PAS 1). My usual 15 mile ride is mostly flat but has a few smaller rolling hills and I’m averaging about 12mph. With constant but light pedaling I’m getting 25 to 28 miles on a half charge. Oh, also, I weigh in at 175 and have the tires at about 22psi.

An update. 9 days since my last post on this thread and I’m up to just over 300 miles. I’m generally seeing the same results reported in my last post except today which was an amazing ride with a different route. Very hilly, with some pretty steep and long hills. Also, a lot of gravel road today, probably about 30% total. The ride was 23 miles, 90% at PAS 3 with an average speed of 17 Mph. A few bumps to PAS 4, briefly to PAS 5. Battery was at about 15% at the end. I could have gotten maybe another mile or two when I arrived home. I was accompanied by a friend on a motorcycle for today’s ride which is why I kept it on PAS 3 and rode faster than my usual. I suspect had I kept it at PAS 1 and 2 on the steeper hills I could have gotten it to 30 miles, perhaps a bit more.

Really, much of the ride today was rough as the gravel roads were torn up a bit after recent storms here. It really felt like a mountain bike ride when I was on the gravel. It was a pretty exciting ride and the fact that I had the range I did given the terrain and speed left me feeling pretty good about the performance of the bike, from battery to motor as well as handling.

Attachments

• 1-15-2020 Elevation.jpg
    1-15-2020 Elevation.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 447
So far just over 9 miles. Down 3 bars. Mostly flat with my 195 # on it. Mostly pas 2. But maybe a mile or so throttle only at full tilt slightly uphill doing rad mini side by side. Switch bikes back and forth on acceleration test with my 145# son. Rad mini won easily. Fyi. This one beter top speed tho

what bike you like better, lectric or rad mini?

Back