Lectric XP chain replacement

myers830

I'm new here and apologize if this has been asked before. I'll be ordering a new XP soon, and I would like to buy a spare chain before I actually ever need it. With dozens of chain types and manufacturers, its confusing to sort it all out. Then there are chain lengths...114 links, 116, 118, etc. I'd like only to hear back from an XP owner who has actually replaced the original chain successfully. Links to where a chain can be purchased is appreciated. I'm guessing that original chains aren't the highest of quality, so I'd hope with any new replacement chain to be upgrading the original.

Did you ever get an answer here or elsewhere because I have the same question. Thank you in advance for your response.

I'm new here and apologize if this has been asked before. I'll be ordering a new XP soon, and I would like to buy a spare chain before I actually ever need it. With dozens of chain types and manufacturers, its confusing to sort it all out. Then there are chain lengths...114 links, 116, 118, etc. I'd like only to hear back from an XP owner who has actually replaced the original chain successfully. Links to where a chain can be purchased is appreciated. I'm guessing that original chains aren't the highest of quality, so I'd hope with any new replacement chain to be upgrading the original.
I replaced my chain I had to buy two to make it the same length as the one on the XP...

One KMC X8 will do. These chains have an X stamped into the side plates. As with corrugation this makes them stronger. It also gives a better bite into the cogs when shifting. They are plated to prevent rust. 116-links should be plenty for your new bike. They also come with a reusable quick-link so you can remove the chain to dip it in an emulsification to clean it and replace it on your bike.

Reactions: RLC
One KMC X8 will do. These chains have an X stamped into the side plates. As with corrugation this makes them stronger. It also gives a better bite into the cogs when shifting. They are plated to prevent rust. 116-links should be plenty for your new bike. They also come with a reusable quick-link so you can remove the chain to dip it in an emulsification to clean it and replace it on your bike.
The one I purchased was 112 links and wasn't even close to the right length as the original.. Pretty sure 116 won't be long enough...

This bike does not look big. Okay, then order two. Drape the old chain over a bar, laying the new one next to it. If two chains are needed make their lengths equal so that both quick links are on opposite sides of the drivetrain at any given time.

This bike does not look big. Okay, then order two. Drape the old chain over a bar, laying the new one next to it. If two chains are needed make their lengths equal so that both quick links are on opposite sides of the drivetrain at any given time.
That's exactly what I did it's surprising how long this chain is...

I am new to this but it seems weird to me. It is a 7 speed bike, I count 118 links. It appears to be a KMC Z7 chain which should be 116 links. The chain is grey and is stamped KMC, Z and narrow.

This is what it looks like.

Bike manufactures buy chain in bulk and cut it to any length they require. Bulk chain is so heavy for its size it requires warning stickers. You can tell it is bulk chain on your bike because it will not have a standard quick link, just a rivet pin.

That makes sense. And yes the stock chain has no quick link visible to me. So would a 116 link 7 speed chain need any adjustments to the derailleur because of the 2 less links if it was fine before? Or is it best to add a couple links. Thanks again for the replies.

When you get your bike shift it into to the lowest gear. Then manually pull the derailleur back to see if there is a little extra chain on the original set up. If there is than you are fine.
Just to be overly boring (sorry): One may not just add two links to one end of a chain; the merger of two chains must be of equal lengths. This is what is done with cargo bikes and tandems.

Interesting that Lectric does not sell replacement chains for their bikes. That made me check at Rad to see if they do and fortunately they do for $15.

I'm not sure that they don't I just figured it would be easy enough to get anywhere. They try to be helpful on the phone with questions I have had, not just very accurate to be honest. I don't need a chain just yet I just want to have one in case. I may give them a shot or just order 2 just to be sure.
I love the bike just not sure what kind of support to expect.

I'm not sure that they don't I just figured it would be easy enough to get anywhere. They try to be helpful on the phone with questions I have had, not just very accurate to be honest. I don't need a chain just yet I just want to have one in case. I may give them a shot or just order 2 just to be sure.
I love the bike just not sure what kind of support to expect.
I guess they might if you asked but they don't list them under parts. If I had any really nice places to ride within a relatively short drive from where I live I would consider getting one as folded it would fit in the back of my little Kia Soul. Luckily I've got several nice places within a short bike ride of my house so I'm very happy with my Rover.

Yeah the Rover looks to be a nice choice. Being able to be folded was a big factor in my decision. They are awkward to fold to be honest. I don't need to on a regular basis but it is able to be when I need it.

Back