Lectric Mid Drive? Hmm.. Game changer?

Can you provide a link to the informative video? I ride a mid drive, so I'm curious to know why they're too much trouble. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!

That's a good point. 61 lbs. isn't light, but it's manageable, and Lectric made battery access much simpler on this bike.
I looked up about mid-rives & watched this so far:

I personally just don't want to think about changing gears all the time when I go faster, slower, etc. I want to just have fun & sit back (on my bike) & relax & have fun! You're probably used to it already since you already have a mid-drive, so is it a lot of hassle/trouble/thinking about what to do next, etc.? How about on falt terrain, inclines, etc.?

I've never ridden a mid-drive, but the thought just struck me: It's kind of like the difference between driving an automatic transmission versus a manual in a car. In one, you just go; in the other, you think about gear changes.

For me personally, I actually like operating a manual transmission (I have an old Vette), but at the same time I'm perfectly happy just twisting the throttle on my XP2.0st and just going.

I've never ridden a mid-drive, but the thought just struck me: It's kind of like the difference between driving an automatic transmission versus a manual in a car. In one, you just go; in the other, you think about gear changes.

For me personally, I actually like operating a manual transmission (I have an old Vette), but at the same time I'm perfectly happy just twisting the throttle on my XP2.0st and just going.
good reply I have never driven but I learned shifting riding recumbents. it will make the bike a lot more capable if you shift. or you will need a lot bigger motor if you dont.

Yep that's the similarity my fiance' & I were talking about the other day! I'd never want a manual drive automobile either.

It seems like the deviding line is active versus passive. Having grown up on a steep hill, I was thankful for the three speed bicycle that arrived shortly after age 10 which allowed climbing of said hill without such extreme exertion.

All multispeed bicycles (cars & trucks) provide the option of shifting gears to accelerate and maintain momentum over varied elevation and wind resistance. The same applies to electrically assisted machines. Lectric's are designed to be pedaled with ergonomics which allow for full leg extension. If you want to lolly along in top gear or throttle that's ok, the bike's capable of more. To deny this is your choice.

Last edited:
I personally just don't want to think about changing gears all the time when I go faster, slower, etc. I want to just have fun & sit back (on my bike) & relax & have fun! You're probably used to it already since you already have a mid-drive, so is it a lot of hassle/trouble/thinking about what to do next, etc.? How about on falt terrain, inclines, etc.?
Micah is a great resource, and I learned some things watching this video. Very informative, as you said. I don't think it was his intention though to discourage anyone from buying a mid drive. ( My takeaway lesson was never to start pedaling at the highest gear. I usually don't do that anyway, but I wasn't aware that practice might be stressing the motor).

I absolutely love pedaling my mid drive, torque sensor bike, but until you experience that for yourself, it's hard to appreciate how smooth and natural they feel. The tandem tweaking of PAS and gear shifting has become second nature, so I don't stress about it while riding. On the other hand, my 2nd ebike (Propella Mini) is single speed, and it's fun for quick local zips around the area with no brain strain whatsoever. It's just not nearly as capable or comfortable, so a different riding experience altogether.

Looks like a game-changer bike for Lectric to me. Pre-Ordered a black one on May 18, 2022 (Order #203764) when the site said "Ships in June". I see their website now says "Ships in July". Living in MN I'm hoping it ships as stated with bike season is finally here. Ended up ordering an XP Lite as well for my gal May 24th (ORDER #207771). Digging up old forums, I see they had supply issues in the past. Hoping they've got things together this time around. This will be my first experience with Lectric.

. . . takeaway lesson was never to start pedaling at the highest gear.
. . . tandem tweaking of PAS and gear shifting has become second nature, so I don't stress about it while riding.
Yep, @Doggyman1202 understands the mid-drive world.
If you enjoy finer control of the bike, ride to get exercise without killing yourself, and enjoy "driving" as in thinking about gears, power assist, and actively pedaling mid-drives are a wonderful experience.

Most mid-drives are class-1 or 3 configuration. Far fewer class-2, throttle assist, are available and I'm glad Lectric is doing a class-2.
I've ridden mid-drive class-2 for four+ years, both full-size and 20-inch wheel folders, and really enjoy the experience.

I have the XPremium Black on-order.
While it's configuration is not 100% my ideal confirguation could not resist the introduction price for a dual-battery mid-drive.
Ideally for me, it would have had a thumb throttle instead of twist . . .
on mid-drive class-2 throttle is mostly used for starting from a dead-stop so a twist has no great advantage.
As for gearing: Again ideally fro me, they would have used the Eniovlo NuVinci CVT manual (cable) control IGH and belt drive. But those two items would have raised the retail price point up $500+ which is not Lectric's business model . . .
but would have really been a Premium eBike model.

My eBike Experience:
Evelo ALE (original production model), mid-drive, NuVinci, belt, full-size . . . several thousand miles of usage before it was stolen.
Evelo Dash, mid-drive, 5-sp IGH, belt, folder . . . <200 miles, returned due to motor and IGH issues (Evelo has a 'real' return policy)
Evelo AL (2022 version of ALE), mid-drive, NuVinci, belt, full-size . . . ~200 miles so far on this one.

Lectric XPremium Black on-order - - - ordered for mid-drive, folder, 4-inch tires, planned usage mostly gravel/dirt while RV traveling.

That's badass. Imagine adding a 3rd motor up front :) Any issues with chain hop using that setup?
After 500 miles so far on this setup no problem with chain. Dont really need 3rd motor because i already have 2500 wats peak power under my thumb with 2 motors. Switched 58t front chainring to 47t and freewheel to original 14 - 28 for more torque but i will change it again to Sunrace 13-34t freewheel. Bike already hits 20mph in no time on 28t cog and it only gets faster and faster when i shift up. For now with this chainring-freewheel combo it is set up to go 35mph max. With new 13-34 freewheel i will get crazy torque for hills and top speed of almost 39mph which is too fast for me. My goal was 35mph max so i will either go with 13-34 freewheel and 44 or 45 chain ring for that 35mph and even more torque or i will just get shimano 14-34 freewheel and be done with it.

Back