Larger Tires on 2021 Vado 4.0 SL

Velome

To soften my ride on my new 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL I installed 700 x 50 Schwalbe tires. The front was a close fit (1/4”), but the rear was more spacious. I inflated them to the lowest recommended PSI with 35 in the rear and 30 in the front.

On my first ride within 100 feet of my house I could tell that this change was significant. It felt like the bike was floating over the bumps and smoothing out depressions compared to the stock 700 x 38 tires. To determine if this change impacted my range, I rode a route that I had previously ridden with the assist set to “Sport,” for the complete ride. The remaining battery level after the two rides was the same so there was no impact on the range. The tires/tubes did increase the weight of the bike by 2 lbs.

I don’t know if the ride with the new tires is better than one with a suspension seat post and a suspension stem, but it is definitely cheaper. The appearance of the bike with these tires is much better too, imho.

BIG BEN HS 439 K-Guard for the front and MARATHON E-PLUS on the back.​

IMG_3145.jpg

To soften my ride on my new 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL I installed 700 x 50 Schwalbe tires. The front was a close fit (1/4”), but the rear was more spacious. I inflated them to the lowest recommended PSI with 35 in the rear and 30 in the front.

On my first ride within 100 feet of my house I could tell that this change was significant. It felt like the bike was floating over the bumps and smoothing out depressions compared to the stock 700 x 38 tires. To determine if this change impacted my range, I rode a route that I had previously ridden with the assist set to “Sport,” for the complete ride. The remaining battery level after the two rides was the same so there was no impact on the range. The tires/tubes did increase the weight of the bike by 2 lbs.

I don’t know if the ride with the new tires is better than one with a suspension seat post and a suspension stem, but it is definitely cheaper. The appearance of the bike with these tires is much better too, imho.
Nice. I added 700x45c Specialized Borough Sport tires, which definitely improved the ride quality, but looking at these makes me want to go with the wider fit. Yours look great. Thanks.

Did (or can you) measure diameter of front tire? Should be 50mm by specification but depends on rim ... Also, how much space is available to top of the fork? Looks like only a few mm from your photo.

For rear tire did you also use 622x50 size? How much space is left there?

Thanks. Also trying to maximise rubber on Vado SL but tires are too expensive to be wrong ;)

Here is Vado SL 4 with Gravelking 50mm. Enough space from my experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.03.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 775
  • Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.19.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.19.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 735
  • Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.27.png
    1 MB · Views: 643
  • Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.33.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 08.09.33.png
    860.8 KB · Views: 741

This is might not be a good idea. Tire PSI should be chosen by weight of the bike+rider+weight distribution+surface conditions. If you are a heavier rider, you'll want to run more pressure to avoid pinch flats and dinging the rims on potholes and curb cuts. I personally run a little higher pressure given the speeds that these bikes can hit. Under hard braking, there is a LOT of force on the front tire especially if you are panic stopping from 20+ mph. Having a tire come unseated from the bead of the rim is a very, very bad thing. I like to use the Silca Tire Pressure Calculator as a baseline. I used charts and a calculator for a number of years but it is easier and has more data points.

FWIW, I have with 700x47 Schwalbe Energizer Plus on my Turbo Vado 4.0. The Silca calculator above recommends 37R 34F and I run around 45psi front and rear. I typically fill to 45 and then add air when the tire gets closer to 40psi.

Shall I trust the Silca Calculator?

The system weight: 120 kg
Tyre width: 50 mm
Answer: 31 psi front 32 psi rear.
The Pro version gave me absurdly low values of 26-27 psi.

Strange. I was always thinking the proper pressure for 2" tyres should be 51-58 psi...

If it wasn't an ebike, I'd probably shoot a tad bit higher than the Silca calculator and do 33 and 35. My preference with a 50mm tire for my Vado (I'll probably be going to 50mm when my 47s wear out) would be somewhere around 40-43psi. With wider tires, one or two psi makes a detectable difference in handling IMO.

On my non-electric commuter/gravel bike I run 33F and 35R with WTB Horizon 650bx47 tires. On my city bike (Panaracer T-Serv) I run 80 psi rear (700x32) and 60psi front (700x45). I have been meaning to try 70psi rear as 80psi is a bit too harsh and the rear tire breaks loose under hard braking but haven't bothered yet as it hasn't been getting much use lately.

Most articles, charts, and calculators are geared towards non-electric bikes and should probably only be used as a starting point for tire pressure decisions even for that use. Sidewall stiffness, for example, varies from tire model to tire model and affects what the lowest acceptable pressure is.

Nice! Pity it is not doable with the EQ version...
This was EQ before procedure ...
Fenders are now waiting if ever required... btw, where can I get replacement rear light, similar size to original Lezyne?
I plan to have one light permanently installed on fenders and other on seat post with connector under motor cover.

Last edited:
It is my wife's and she never rides in rain ... hence this decision.
However, if rear light is connected using connectors it is <10 min to install fenders so not a problem for winter/summer adaptation.

It is my wife's and she never rides in rain ... hence this decision.
However, if rear light is connected using connectors it is <10 min to install fenders so not a problem for winter/summer adaptation.
What about the rear rack? I happen to do pretty large grocery shopping using my SL :)

IMO - there's not enough clearance with those tires. It doesn't take much debris to get lodged in to such a small gap causing the tire to freeze. In turn - the rider can go over the bars. I think I'd stay with the maximum tire width spec provided by Spec.

bio

I think the clearance is not the main issue. Vado SL is a low power e-bike and any modification leading to the power demand increase should be considered very carefully.

But you'd agree that weight is not the reason Spec puts a limit on tire width - right?
Well, the OP can experiment. I have read the power demand for different tyres on Rolling Resistance pages. The data are truly shocking. I used Smart Sam 37-622 since I bought the Vado SL. Now, I use -- out of necessity -- Marathon Winter Plus. I can observe how slow my VSL has become, and how the battery use increased (also because of low ambient temperaure). I think I will replace the tyres with easy rolling Schwalbe G-ones in the Spring. Besides, 38 mm is exactly what is used on gravel bikes!

Rear rack: with EQ version rack is attached to fender. You can leave it there and use it together. Or install 3rd party rack. It is compatible with racks using single attachment point to seat stay bridge.
Tire clearance: it is my wife's bike and she almost never ride in mud or rain. Myself I have gravel bike with even less clearence, ride it everywhere and had no issues. Considering phsyics it is almost impossible for tire to carry an object half a circle and get it stuck in a fork bridge ...
Tire weight: Panaracers weight 580 gr per piece. Spec original tire Pathfinder 38 is 573 gr. No difference here.
Tire roll-resistance: almost identical (altough 40mm was tested).

However, level of comfort is also very important, specially on longer rides and bad roads.
It can not be quantified but it can contribute to overall faster and more pleasant ride.

Happy wife - happy life ;)

That's all OK what you say @Borelij! If I liked to make my Vado SL the unequipped version, your remarks would be valuable and helpful. As I ride all year round, live in a pretty wet country, and the SL is my everyday e-bike, I will pass any with mods at least to (hopefully) warm and dry Spring though.

Out of curiosity: Could you weigh your Vado SL and tell me the figure?

Back