Larger Chainring

rmasa

Has anyone else experimented with a larger chainring?

Since I use my bike for commuting, I am always looking for ways to get from point A to B faster.
Being able to keep up with traffic affords me the ability to use the better/safer part of the road.

I recently changed my chainring from 42T to a 44T, and I noticed my average speed per commute increased by 2kph. I understand that there will be a point of diminishing speed sooner or later. I also have a 45T, and a 46T.
Has anyone here gone to a larger chainring with good results?

Going to give the 46T narrow wide a try.

IMG_0961.JPG

I have a 52t, 4 bolt chainring installed on my ebike. I can go 30 mph at a reasonable cadence.

I would love to try a 50 or 52T chainring, where did you find it? I have not seen any bigger chainrings available for 104 BCD.
Is it difficult to get going after a complete stop?

Remember some mid drives will get overheated running a large chainwheel, especially the 52T. More speed really needs more power. Unless the motor has. 52 in its design spec. I seen, read about, and cooked a controller with a 52. Typically you need to keep the RPMs up in my experience. Add a watt meter or an inexpensive temp gauge and watch the temps and draw of power grow.

I would love to try a 50 or 52T chainring, where did you find it? I have not seen any bigger chainrings available for 104 BCD.
Is it difficult to get going after a complete stop?
This is exactly how you will overheat some mid drives. It's a bike with gears, not a scooter. Downshift like you (should?)would with any geared bike.

California eBikes sells adapters. They are available from a number of sources with a range of quality.

Back