Larger chain ring on Turbo Vado 3.0 NEEDED

Scooterboy

The Vado 3.0 has a 40 tooth chainring.
The 5 and 6 have 48 tooth chainrings.
Cassette 11 tooth is common to both.

So I have to have a cadence of 92 RPM to hit 28mph on the 3.0 and 76 RPM on the 5.0 or 6.0 to go 28mph.
Just doesn't seem fair !!!!

What is the largest chainring (up to 48 tooth) that you can put on a 3.0 without blowing up the rear mech.

THANKS for your help.

Follow up question - could I use any 104 BCD chainring or does it have to be a special one. Specialized lists part S171400002 which looks a bit different than the average chainring. Thanks!

I have used standard 104BCD 10 or 11-speed chain rings on my 2015 Turbo. They work fine. If you need a chain guard/bash ring, 48T 104BCD are harder to find

I'm having my LBS replace both the rear cassette and the chainring of my Vado 3 with those from the Vado 6. (They're doing the cassette for free, since it's faulty and/or under-specified.)
According to a chart I found, that'll change the gear ratios from 1.00 to 3.64, to 1.14 to 4.36 - so I'll have a higher high-gear, which I feel the Vado 3 needs.

I run a 12-28 cassette on my e-bike. I like the 1 tooth jumps from 12-17. The 48x12 should put your cadence in the 80’s.

Did you end up using a larger chainring? I test rode a Vado 6.0 today and I loved the gearing, but I see that it uses a 48T on the front. I can only afford a 3.0, so I was wondering if this panned out for you. Let me know. Thanks.

Did you end up using a larger chainring? I test rode a Vado 6.0 today and I loved the gearing, but I see that it uses a 48T on the front. I can only afford a 3.0, so I was wondering if this panned out for you. Let me know. Thanks.
Is Vado 6.0 still available for the U.S.? Tell me more details please.

I might be wrong but I thought the U.S. Vado 3.0 was Class 1. As such, it uses a 40T chainring to allow you riding at its speed with a reasonable cadence. Also, bear in mind Vado 3.0 has a less powerful motor, so the 40T chainring helps pedalling with less effort.

48T chainrings are used in Class 3 Vado 6.0 and in Class 3 Como 5.0. With a 28 mph e-bike, it helps a lot to use large chainring to pedal with cadence (say) 76 to hit 28 mph (if the road conditions allow that). Technically, it is doable to install a 48T chainring in Vado 3.0. I could give you original part number for the ring: the replacement is easy. It is far harder to buy a matching chainring-guard but the bike can be ridden without that guard. It is also possible to buy an aftermarket chainring and MTB bolts (ask me if you are interested).

I would say the 40T chainring is ideal for Vado 3.0, especially if you live in a hilly area. If you only ride on flats, you could consider going up to 44T chainring. 48T would be too large for practical riding reasons.

Back