Larger a chain Ring for Vado

What's the benefit of having a 48t vs 40t. It sounds like with a 40t going up hills will be eaiser but what would a 48t do for someone with a vado 4.
thanks

What's the benefit of having a 48t vs 40t. It sounds like with a 40t going up hills will be eaiser but what would a 48t do for someone with a vado 4.
thanks
Scroll up to my original post. I find that I am almost always in the top 3 gears and keep wanting one or two higher since more of my riding is flat and moderate hills vs SF/Seattle type hills. :)

Scroll up to my original post. I find that I am almost always in the top 3 gears and keep wanting one or two higher since more of my riding is flat and moderate hills vs SF/Seattle type hills. :)
Chain wear on a middrive is not a good thing, I hear.

thanks
A 48t chainring on a Vado 4 will generally give you higher top speed, at the expense of some hill-climbing ability. Vado 4 owners riding on flatter terrain could benefit from the 48t ring. Those riding in steeper terrain would probably choose to stick with the standard 40t ring.

BTW - Others have reported that compatible 48t rings are long-lead items these days. Changing to a 48t ring would require a new chain as well as a new ring.

Al
A 48t chainring on a Vado 4 will generally give you higher top speed, at the expense of some hill-climbing ability. Vado 4 owners riding on flatter terrain could benefit from the 48t ring. Those riding in steeper terrain would probably choose to stick with the standard 40t ring.

BTW - Others have reported that compatible 48t rings are long-lead items these days. Changing to a 48t ring would require a new chain as well as a new ring.
All correct---problem is that my LBS doesn't seem to be very excited about doing this for me, not helpful in identifying parts, giving me a price, etc....

Al

All correct---problem is that my LBS doesn't seem to be very excited about doing this for me, not helpful in identifying parts, giving me a price, etc....
Our local Specialized dealer is swamped with work. I hear many shops are. I'm guessing that's what you're up against. Is there another dealer nearby?

Our local Specialized dealer is swamped with work. I hear many shops are. I'm guessing that's what you're up against. Is there another dealer nearby?
If one is busy, they are all busy. I have no need to rush it- I was just disappointed in their lack of interest in helping me. There are probably a dozen dealers within 15 miles of my house so finding dealers isn't an issue.

If one is busy, they are all busy. I have no need to rush it- I was just disappointed in their lack of interest in helping me. There are probably a dozen dealers within 15 miles of my house so finding dealers isn't an issue.
I get the feeling that my dealer ( a one man shop )will work things in pretty quickly if all the parts are available.

I get the feeling that my dealer ( a one man shop )will work things in pretty quickly if all the parts are available.
OTOH do the two classes one and three, share the same wide narrow chains and rings?

Every morning on my way to work I wish I had the 48 tooth ring. Then I ride home in the afternoon.

I live on top of one of those SF hills.

There was a time when your lbs would replace a cassette (or the worn out rings) when worn out. Anyway, that is what I am going to do when the time comes.

Back