48t 104bcd chainring for Vado

11-46 is a nice cassette! Good wide range of gears there!

I think I understand you on the oval ring not being right for an e-bike. I've never used one on an e-bike, and I've never felt compelled. But maybe the oval ring works in relationship too. The position of the crank arms, whether or not they free wheel.

But either way, an oval ring helps you have less resistance in the parts of the pedal rotation where it is harder to turn the pedals. Having a motor basically takes care of this for you. So yeah, oval and e-bike doesn't seem like any benefit.
To be precise: You pedal the internal gears of the mid-drive motor, and it is the motor gearing to drive the chainring. Therefore, the crank position relative to the chainring is variable. While the oval ring is great on a traditional bike or a hub-drive e-bike, it is a waste on the mid-drive e-bike. (With a mid-drive, you can freely backspin the crank with no effect on the chainring).

To be precise: You pedal the internal gears of the mid-drive motor, and it is the motor gearing to drive the chainring. Therefore, the crank position relative to the chainring is variable. While the oval ring is great on a traditional bike or a hub-drive e-bike, it is a waste on the mid-drive e-bike. (With a mid-drive, you can freely backspin the crank with no effect on the chainring).
Got it thanks!

Dredging this one back up. My eBay chainring turns out to not be so great. For some inexplicable reason (boredom + alcohol), I took it off the Vado Sunday just to have a look. All 4 holes for the mounting bolts are slightly wallowed out. Now, I am not putting out crazy human power, so this is a little concerning. And yes, I did properly torque the mounting bolts and used blue threadlocker, so loosening of the bolts was not the issue.

I did remount it and went for a ride, and it works, but since I know this it bothers me muchly. I'll be investing in a quality chainring asap (likely Garbaruk, unless I can find another reputable mfgr).

Garbaruk are quality. I have had one of their chainrings on my Creo for the last 4000 miles, with zero issues and zero chain drops. The ring is still in excellent condition. They are also less then half the weight of the Praxis ring. I can completely recommend them

Garbaruk are quality. I have had one of their chainrings on my Creo for the last 4000 miles, with zero issues and zero chain drops. The ring is still in excellent condition. They are also less then half the weight of the Praxis ring. I can completely recommend them
I have completely changed to Garbaruk chainrings, partly because Praxis chainrings in the sizes needed for Vado or Vado SL seem to be totally unavailable. I admit taking a Garbaruk ring in your hand is a pure pleasure; you feel it is a hi-tec thing!

Back