Laptop pannier for rear-battery bike

chs8084

Today was my first day commuting with my Raleigh Detour IE-- and the ride went well. What didn't go so well was getting my Blackburn Rear Central pannier bag to stay on the rack (this fit my regular bike, but that never did end up getting used to commute). So two questions: first, is it incompatible with my e-bike or am I doing something wrong, and second, any recommendations for a pannier(s) for a laptop on one side, and when needed, to pack clothes/ groceries/ battery, etc on the other.

I did a Google search to see what the connectors on your particular bag look like (thumbnail attached).

I find the bars on my ebike rack to be too thick for many bag's integrated connectors. I saw a solution someone employed where they used zip ties to create little loops on their back rack for their panniers to hook into, and that worked out well for them. So, instead of hooking the bag onto the rack, you create small loops for the bag to hook into right onto the rack and then hook your bag onto those 2 or 3 zip tie loops. Just make sure you use zip ties that are designed to hold up to 50 lbs each and don't make the loops too big -- you just need them large enough to accommodate your panier bag connectors.

CENTRAL_REAR_PANNIER_DETAIL3.jpg

Thanks so much!-- I tried googling for solutions with no luck-- if you could send the link, that would be great (my bottom hook is slightly different, but that was not the problem and is in fact what saved everything as when it popped off, it hung somewhat precariously from the side-facing hook).

I don't have a link. It was something I saw sometime ago...probably somewhere on Facebook.

Just get 2 or 3 zip ties.

line them up on the rack to match where your bag has its connectors and where you would normally clip the bag onto the rack. Mark the spots with something like a tiny piece of tape.

Wrap 1 zip tie at each mark on the rack and zip it closed, leaving a loop just big enough so you can slip your bag's clips into the loop created from the zip tie.

Clip your pannier onto the zip tie loops instead of one the rack itself. Very low tech, but should work just fine.

That's it!

Last edited:
Today was my first day commuting with my Raleigh Detour IE-- and the ride went well. What didn't go so well was getting my Blackburn Rear Central pannier bag to stay on the rack (this fit my regular bike, but that never did end up getting used to commute). So two questions: first, is it incompatible with my e-bike or am I doing something wrong, and second, any recommendations for a pannier(s) for a laptop on one side, and when needed, to pack clothes/ groceries/ battery, etc on the other.

I've been using the Arkel Cosmopolitan for commuting. It fits a laptop, lunch bag and a few other items. It can also double as a grocery bag. It works with the BH Easy Motion Street rack, as well as with the PDW Payload rack (I have two of these panniers and one is adjusted for one rack and the other for the other rack). Both of these racks use unique geometries and the Street rack has somewhat thick tubing and narrow area to mount panniers. However, the Arkel can accommodate it. The reason it works is because the 2 rack clips are adjustable side to side. The system is very sturdy and has never come off. These panniers use a cam lock system as well as a bungee. It takes a bit of finesse to get the panniers on and off the rack, but once mounted, they won't easily come off.

I checked and couldn't find the cosmopolitan.... must be discontinued. However, Arkel offers a line of commuter bags, including the, "commuter." The mounting system appears to be the same as described above. It also appears to have the roll down flap that covers the mounting hardware so the bag can be easily carried without the hardware poking the user. My experience with the Arkel Cosmopolitan, is that in addition to being rugged, well made and very functional, it fits the two varied rack geometries on both of my commuter bikes.

Link to the, Arkel, "commuter," shown below.

http://www.arkel-od.com/en/commuting-bike-bag.html

I also tried to fit the cosmopolitan panniers on a Kalkoff in the showroom and they did not seem to fit. However, I am not sure if that is because the Kalkoff rack uses even thicker gauge tubing compared to the BH rack, or because the rack clips would need to be adjusted to fit. Adjustment of the clips requires an Allen wrench.

They must have changed their names as there is no "Cosmopolitan" edition of their computer commuter bag.

The model of Arkel pannier is called the Metropolitan, not Cosmopolitan. I purchased them a few years ago, but they do not appear to be available any longer on the manufacturer's website.

There is a video of the pannier on YouTube, however:

My Janned sp. bag came off and broke a spoke on mine. I drilled a hole under rail through the plastic and placed two Clevis pins with two 1 in. washers on ends with quick release slid through ends of clevis pins. Now when bag jumps up from going over a bump it bumps up against the pin and stops it flying off. Which could be catastrophic at speed. Wish I had a pic. this really helped me.

I picked up a timbuk2 tandem pannier bag, linked below. There is enough space for clothes if you need, and laptop compartments on both sides of the bag as well. It straps itself on top with two Velcro strips which I find is enough. There are a couple other loops to attach and secure the bottom, but those didn't work with the rack I'm using, which is an axiom fatliner. I got mine for about $60 on eBay, if you sign up for timbuk2s email they regularly send 25-35 percent coupons out.

http://www.timbuk2.com

Back