Kryptonite ATPO

High Desert

Region
USA
City
Redmond, Or
I just purchased a new Kryptonite chain lock for my new E bike, and while filling out the key registration, up popped this Anti-Theft Protection Offer, which i had thought was a good offering from them (I had this with a prior set of locks purchased in 2015, and it was free). Now, Kryptonite wants to charge a person for what was free, and also sets up the various levels of hoops you have to jump through to file a claim? And, if the thief takes the lock with them, you are out of the ability to file a claim? Seems to me a person is just better off having your own insurance policy and not having to deal with all the scenarios Kryptonite is putting out there. Also, sounds as though the company is having a lot of customer service issues / complaints revolving around supplying snd set of keys for free, and processing / approving ATPO claims. Maybe it is now a story of good locks, poor service??

Those are a scam and if you look at the fine print it usually says your only recourse is to take it to arbitration in the state they operate from knowing no one will ever do that.

You're a victim of improvements in portable, battery operated grinders. No lock can withstand one for more than 30-60 seconds. So risk is up for those that offer guarantees, so more hoops.

I just purchased a new Kryptonite chain lock for my new E bike, and while filling out the key registration, up popped this Anti-Theft Protection Offer, which i had thought was a good offering from them (I had this with a prior set of locks purchased in 2015, and it was free). Now, Kryptonite wants to charge a person for what was free, and also sets up the various levels of hoops you have to jump through to file a claim? And, if the thief takes the lock with them, you are out of the ability to file a claim? Seems to me a person is just better off having your own insurance policy and not having to deal with all the scenarios Kryptonite is putting out there. Also, sounds as though the company is having a lot of customer service issues / complaints revolving around supplying snd set of keys for free, and processing / approving ATPO claims. Maybe it is now a story of good locks, poor service??
I've owned Kryptonite locks since the 80's. Good locks. My latest bike lock is an Abus though. I never had a bike or MC stolen with a Kryptonite lock and wouldn't hesitate using one. That said, the free "insurance" always had those stipulations. There's stories all over the net about claims being denied because the lock was stolen with the bike. The only assurance is private insurance.

I just have a cheap master lock cable lock but I do have a motion detector alarm. I don't live in the city and when I visit town on the ebike I take the ebike right in the store where I am a regular shopper and park it next to the service desk and lock it. They know who owns that ebike and keep an eye on it for me.

A few places like the senior center lets me bring it inside and recharge while I am there. If I stop some place where I can't take it inside I lock it to a pole next to a window so I can see it and at fast food places I eat outside at the tables with ebike parked next to me.

I have heard of people getting mugged on bike trails for their ebikes but I don't ride public trails and I am usually CCd and I don't look like someone that a mugger would want to mess with.

We had a rash of atv thieves here awhile back so at my cabin I park the ebike on my front porch chained to a pole and I have security yard lights and 2 dogs that will alert if anyone comes on my property. I store the batt inside so they would have to roll it making noise because it is too heavy to be carries far and without the battery they can't ride it.

If people are hell bent on stealing something they will find a way so all you can do is make your ebike harder and more riskier to steal so they look somewhere else.

Back