Kodiak mtb max wheel size

Johnny

I was wondering if anyone has experience with 2018 Kodiak. It seems to be a nice bike with good components and a Bosch system but the information about the wheel sizing is not clear.

Is it 27.5+? In their video it says that the rims accept plus size tires but I believe it comes with 2.6" tires. I was wondering if it will accept 2.8-3.0" tires. (the pro version seem to come with 2.8" and probably accepts 3.0, the frame also looks very similar but there seems to be a difference in fork offset, probably because it comes with pike).

Actually I also wonder if it would be possible to fit a second set of 29er wheels for commuting. If it accepts 29x23 it would be fantastic.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I wonder if you'd get a response about the issue, with a thread title edit. I often check "unanswered threads" list and I clicked on your thread thinking it was about a tire brand named Kodiak and they were having a clearance sale. I thought, who the L makes Kodiak tires?

Anyway, I ride a 29er and as I understand most 29er wheels with tires under 2.25 can be mounted on a 27.5 bike. I've never tried it, but read many have and like it.

Good luck!

The original concept behind what came to be known as 27.5+ was so that a + sized, 2.8-3.0 tire could fit into existing 29" frames. + first came out in a 29+ via Surly Knard 3.0 tires but required their Krampus frame and it just made sense at the time years ago to try and fit the concept into existing frames via downsizing the rim to 650b and coming out with a similar OD in the end. Forward to today and the basic premise still exists however for years now bikes labeled 27.5+ have been in production. But compatibility wise they should still fit a 700c rim fitted with up to a 2.3 tire for the most part. For sure they will fit a 700c with a 23mm tire but some time might have to be spent setting the other wheels up so that they slip into the frame without having to adjust the disc caliper as that is not always the same hub to hub dimensionally.

As far as the Kodiak accepting 3.0 tires they didn't really catch on as well as the slightly smaller 2.8 for a number of reasons. The fact that the rims on the Kodiak are listed as i45mm says to me that the bike is meant to run wider tires because that rim width is on the upper end of the spectrum and you would want to use anything less than a 2.6 on them anyway?

I would imagine that the rims are tubeless capable and if you plan on running psi below 20 I would recommend going tubeless.

Thank you very much for the replies.

I wonder if you'd get a response about the issue, with a thread title edit. I often check "unanswered threads" list and I clicked on your thread thinking it was about a tire brand named Kodiak and they were having a clearance sale. I thought, who the L makes Kodiak tires?

You are right , changed the title though I think it may still be confusing.

As far as the Kodiak accepting 3.0 tires they didn't really catch on as well as the slightly smaller 2.8 for a number of reasons. The fact that the rims on the Kodiak are listed as i45mm says to me that the bike is meant to run wider tires because that rim width is on the upper end of the spectrum and you would want to use anything less than a 2.6 on them anyway?

I would imagine that the rims are tubeless capable and if you plan on running psi below 20 I would recommend going tubeless.

This was also what I was thinking, 45mm is on the wide side and if the frame clearance is 2.6" max why would they go with that instead of something like 30mm. There is a pro version of this bike, frame looks similar and that one is coming with 2.8 tires (listed as 27.5+ size wheels). Rockshox pike may have more clearance though who knows.

Unfortunately they have not replied to my email inquiry yet.

Back