Known Issues & Problems with Serial 1 Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bicycles from Serial 1 as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Seeing lots of reports from folks getting their bikes and the experience being not up to expectations. Typically I have seen that they need to pair with their Enviolo CVT's to perform an update. Also make sure your CVT is not set to manual mode : meaning it will manually change gears instead of automatically (there is no gear shifter so i wouldn't advise this). They also suggest to update the riding cadence to around 60 per minute. Rush/CTY speed owners are sharing reports of not being able to take it to 28 MPH with full pedal assist.

Happy to see Serial 1 on the forum and hope to see a youtube review by EBR soon. My wife took delivery in June and I must say it is a great bike. We went through the Enviola CVT problems too. Serial 1 support person was super helpful walked me through pairing and updating software. Unfortunately, it still wasn’t working until i lowered the cadence to 60.
One thing I wish Serial 1 would do is establish a Service network where you could take your bike for service. The support staff is very helpful but they can only do so much. When i asked them how we get the 250 mile service that is recommended in the manual, they said probably best to just do it yourself. When i pressed the issue they said just take it to your LBS. They couldn't even recommend one. At least in our case the answer is not the HD dealership where we had it assembled. They are polite but I dont feel like they really care that much about ebikes.
Please Serial 1 Give these fine bikes a Service network worthy of them.

good points - i suggest opening a support case with Serial 1 and sharing exactly this feedback. I did something similar asking a question around their digital command center and they responded. The only way they can course correct is from paying customers like ourselves.

Known issue - charging cover comes off. Suggest picking up a roll of blue painters tap to stick on before rides.

man if you have to stick to 60 rpms cadence that would kill me I can't go that slow. I notice yo can buy one through Best Buy.

Seeing lots of reports from folks getting their bikes and the experience being not up to expectations. Typically I have seen that they need to pair with their Enviolo CVT's to perform an update. Also make sure your CVT is not set to manual mode : meaning it will manually change gears instead of automatically (there is no gear shifter so i wouldn't advise this). They also suggest to update the riding cadence to around 60 per minute. Rush/CTY speed owners are sharing reports of not being able to take it to 28 MPH with full pedal assist.
I just purchased my Rush City Speed though my local, very reputable LBS. They do provide service and warranty repairs so happy to have a 2 year warranty. As for the Enviolo CVT, mine is operating perfectly and I don't feel the need to tweak. I did bump the Brose power level settings for the ECO, Tour and Sport modes a bit and ride mostly in Tour which gives me the 50 mile range I want/need. I do use Sport for some climbs and even Boost for rare hard climb or fast riding situations. Very happy with the purchase of this well designed, incredibly simple to ride ebike. Also, this is the quietest ebike ever. It is nearly silent in it's operation in Tour mode but I can occasionally hear the slight whirr of the servomotor in the CVT.

Last edited:
Love my Rush/CTY Speed and stick to boost mainly, allows me to get about 30 miles in at about 5 miles / 15 minutes pace. I can get in two nice rides weather permitting. I picked up a Mosh/CTY during their black friday sale.

65 / Sport Eco : 25 - Tour : 50 : Sport 70 : Boost 100% assists.

Curious as I have not found any information on where and who is building the frames? Also minimal information on the components used. Most popular brands in this price range actually give the specs and brands of the components. Anyone know a source for the answers?

Curious as I have not found any information on where and who is building the frames? Also minimal information on the components used. Most popular brands in this price range actually give the specs and brands of the components. Anyone know a source for the answers?
There are Tech Specs for each model on the Serial 1 website. I know Harley Davidson Live Wire E Motorcycle engineers designed the bike/ frame and spec'd the the batteries. Motor and drive train are identified in the specs. They certainly reveal as much as Specialized, Trek etc.

Last edited:
I’m assuming they are making their frames and batteries in house, otherwise everything from drive train, brakes, belt drive, tires and tubes are listed.

For those who have the MOSH City Speed with Enviolo Automatiq.
#1) What are your assist settings in Eco, Tour, Sport and Boost?
#2) What is your cadence set at?
#3) does your Enviolo automatically downshift when you coast or come to a stop?
For clarification, if you have an Serial 1 ebike with Enviolo Automatiq CVT that has the Speed designation then you have the Rush Speed model. The MOSH models are single speed bikes.

The Serial 1 Website has several tutorial videos on the Enviolo CVT. I suggest you start there.

30 50 70 100
sport / 65 cadence

#3 - does it downshift ? Yes, one of the great things about the CVT is you no longer have to worry about changing gears and remembering to downshift if you have to come to a stop quickly.

Last edited:
hmmm....i've been a huge fan of serial 1, applied every update the moment i got them and calibrated after every update.

sucks you're having issues. I do know you can get them up to 28 MPH, as I have reached that and greater (without assist) on my Rush/CTY Speed. I will say I am not exactly pleased with their support model. The people are nice, but it just seems so newish for a company that has been in the customer service industry for too long. I feel even though this is a spin off, customer service is something harley should strive to ensure is industry leading if they want to continue to redfine their core platforms on electric.

They are also waaaaaaaaaaay behind on their digital command center. Don't get me wrong, their core DNA of electric bikes is industry leading. I want a serial 1 eMTB, Gravel Bike, Road bike ASAP. Most fun bikes I have ever ridden.

Back