Known Issues & Problems with Rad Power Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Thanks for the advise! I've sent an email to Rad describing the issue and I'm waiting for a response now. The bike's motor drives the bike up to 20 mph so I'm not sure about coasting 5 to 7 MPH above that is all that bad, but I understand what you are saying. I'll let you know what Rad responds with.
Thanks for the inspiration. Made a video about the topic. Nothing I didn't already share.

Thanks for the advise! I've sent an email to Rad describing the issue and I'm waiting for a response now. The bike's motor drives the bike up to 20 mph so I'm not sure about coasting 5 to 7 MPH above that is all that bad, but I understand what you are saying. I'll let you know what Rad responds with.

"Thank you for emailing in! Have you tried adjusting the settings on the display? I would suggest setting the top speed to 40kph. This can be done by holding down the up and down arrows on the display for about 5 seconds while the bike is on. Then you can use the mode button to cycle through the settings. This should help out with the issues that you are describing. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!"

I tried the above and it did in fact fix my issue.

"Thank you for emailing in! Have you tried adjusting the settings on the display? I would suggest setting the top speed to 40kph. This can be done by holding down the up and down arrows on the display for about 5 seconds while the bike is on. Then you can use the mode button to cycle through the settings. This should help out with the issues that you are describing. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!"

I tried the above and it did in fact fix my issue.
Good to know. I assumed it was set at top speed from the factory. I don't know how mine was set when I got it but I picked mine up from the Radwagon store pre-assembled.

Just an update on my downhill/uphill no assist issue with my speed based PAS Radrover. MrGold was absolutely correct. If I wait to start pedaling until my speed is below my high speed cutoff, all is good. PAS comes on as needed at the level I have it set at. If I start pedaling at a higher speed (which does minimal if any good), I need to come to a complete stop prior to getting the PAS system (auto or hand throttle) working again. Problem solved.

Just an update on my downhill/uphill no assist issue with my speed based PAS Radrover. MrGold was absolutely correct. If I wait to start pedaling until my speed is below my high speed cutoff, all is good. PAS comes on as needed at the level I have it set at. If I start pedaling at a higher speed (which does minimal if any good), I need to come to a complete stop prior to getting the PAS system (auto or hand throttle) working again. Problem solved.
Which would be why you really need the updated firmware.

Reported a problem with my Radmini. I noticed that the top of the controller box had cracked when I removed the battery as I was getting ready to fold the bike to put it in the trunk of my car. I It holds together once the battery is back on the rail and connected to the contacts, but I can see it will eventually be a fatal problem.
20170722_145824 (1) (1).jpg

On my second replacement of both the wire harness & controller. Yes this is the second time this has happened. Two rovers exposed to same exact conditions.. actually the other Rover sees a bit more carelessness than the one showing issues.

Issue: ghost throttle. Likes to go whenever it feels the tire needs to spin.

I've upgraded the middle sprocket to a larger one and it's probably the best upgrade you can now add power in all the PAS settings without spinning your wheels. I sandwiched it in between two sprocket guards because I found the chain came off a lot on the stock setup.

So far the only mystery is why I am going through so many spokes.
I am currently waiting for some Sapim spokes for my rear wheel.
I am hoping this will solve the issue.

Hopefully this with solve my shifting issues which I have had since I got the bike.
The rear tire might be repairable. I really like the feel of that balloon tire and am hoping I can keep it.
The Radwagon it a rough ride. Reminds me of my old Jeep Wrangler. Having that balloon tire seemed to take the edge off some of the bumps.

Got about 1200 miles out of 13g Sapim spokes before one broke. Problem is the large diameter of the hub motor combined with a 26" rim puts the spokes at too much of an angle to the rim, preventing them from running straight. The slight kink in the spoke at the nipple flexes under drive and braking forces until the stress causes one or more to break. Thats why motorcycle rims have the spoke holes drilled at an angle in raised dimples, so the spokes can run perfectly straight.

I got new Sapim spokes, and went back to 12g, but this time I laced the rim radially (spokes are 90 degree to the rim and don't cross). If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll go with a moped rim with motorcycle style drilling. New spokes are 150mm long and I used 16mm wheelmaster nipples.

Early on I replaced the rear derailleur with a Shimano Deore, and the shift cables with Jagwire mountain pro cables. Shifting has been flawless since then.

Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires are much better than the OE tires, and have significant flat protection.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2417

Radial spoke.
SpokeRadial.png

Moped rim.
Moped6.png

Last edited:
Reported a problem with my Radmini. I noticed that the top of the controller box had cracked when I removed the battery as I was getting ready to fold the bike to put it in the trunk of my car. I It holds together once the battery is back on the rail and connected to the contacts, but I can see it will eventually be a fatal problem.View attachment 17565
Frame needs to be replace or welded,potential for catastrophic failure,controller box is a structural part of lower frame u must contact rad rover

On my second replacement of both the wire harness & controller. Yes this is the second time this has happened. Two rovers exposed to same exact conditions.. actually the other Rover sees a bit more carelessness than the one showing issues.

Issue: ghost throttle. Likes to go whenever it feels the tire needs to spin.

I had the same problem. A bit scary when you are sitting at the front of the ferry while it's docking and your bike decides it's time to go.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Rad Power as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
New Rover at day 5 & 73 miles: the LCD turned itself off a couple of times during a ride, then the speedometer stayed at 0 and the odometer didn't increase above 73. All else fine, I sent Rad an email, then the ride continued.
Within 90 minutes Rad tech support responded, asked for a video, then confirmed that it's the speed sensors that failed, they're in the motor, so the motor needs replacing. Techs offered to ship it to me when they're back in stock (next week we hope) and gave detailed instructions for the replacement.
Here's what impresses: they will ship a whole new rear wheel including motor, to make the swap easy for me. And, they don't want the old motor/wheel back. (We live 150 miles from Seattle.)
That seems like a quick helpful and fair response.

Off topic: We got a Mini for my wife. She's shorter, couldn't ride a Rover, but the Mini fits her well, with seat post at lowest position and the somewhat thicker Cloud 9 seat swapped in for comfort, and reduced front tire pressure for softer ride. The two bikes are well matched for speed (she weighs 50# less than my 160), which makes biking together easy. 15 miles today on hilly terrain, she could take it easy with electricity when I chose to select pedal workout settings.

I own a radmini love it.
My experience with them has been the same.
Excellent customer service i will recommend to all my hunting buddies and my next bike will be from them.
Roberto

I have a horrible grinding/rubbing noise I can't identify coming from the rear end. It only happens when under power and disappears when I get to speed. Maybe the brakes?

Reactions: M.D
I have a horrible grinding/rubbing noise I can't identify coming from the rear end. It only happens when under power and disappears when I get to speed. Maybe the brakes?
Three socket head screws to remove the brake, and eliminate it as a source. A bike stand is worth its weight in cash for these issues.

Also the problem only happens when there is anything pushing down on the bike. I noticed I lost a screw holding on the rack but when I fixed that the sound still happens.

Back