Known Issues & Problems with Priority Bicycles Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I am going to back it off a bit as I am technically above spec now. I am curious if anyone else has belt tension stories. And if they were able to run it longer term with a higher tension without issue?
Priority/Gates sanction higher tensions; in fact, they specifically advise off-road users in muddy conditions to raise the tension proactively (into the 50's, I believe) to prevent slippage and to assist with self-clearing debris.
These belts are really robust, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've watched a number of YouTube videos -- a couple of them involving Gates reps and even Priority shop guys -- talking about belt tensioning. I came away with the impression that broken belts are a vanishing rarity, coming about due to "user error" (example: "walking" the belt on instead of unscrewing the rear wheel).
One final observation: The tiny amount you have to screw in those tensioning bolts to increase belt tension suggests it's not really introducing much "stretch" into the system.

Priority/Gates sanction higher tensions; in fact, they specifically advise off-road users in muddy conditions to raise the tension proactively (into the 50's, I believe) to prevent slippage and to assist with self-clearing debris.
These belts are really robust, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've watched a number of YouTube videos -- a couple of them involving Gates reps and even Priority shop guys -- talking about belt tensioning. I came away with the impression that broken belts are a vanishing rarity, coming about due to "user error" (example: "walking" the belt on instead of unscrewing the rear wheel).
One final observation: The tiny amount you have to screw in those tensioning bolts to increase belt tension suggests it's not really introducing much "stretch" into the system.
That's my interpretation. But priority itself advised me to lower the tension down from what the LBS did to solve it. Anyway, the bike feels great. And if that's all that was creating the occasional terrifying jump in the drive train when under high tension, I am very happy with it. I am going to go as close to high spec as I can. If the issue returns, then I'll go higher.

Has anyone noticed a clicking coming from the motor when you roll the bike backwards? Is this normal?
Although I'm mostly unable to hear that type of sound, I'd venture to say it's quite normal indeed. That would be the "clicking" made by ratcheting pawls in the drivetrain, kind of like you'd hear in an old 10-speed with a loud derailleur.

My Priority Current's display spontaneously reset this morning. The mileage is now back to zero, and the password to turn on the bike has reset no password at all. Anybody else have this happen?

A lot of times we hear how bad a company is. This is the opposite.

So I have a Priority single speed (non-ebike). Decided to change out the handlebars (perfect btw). As I was doing this, I had noted the headset was a tad loose, so of course I wanted to correct. Easy. But hey while I'm there let's see if the fork bearing cluster was lubed. It was. But wait there's a bearing missing - is this a big deal?. Talk to customer service. They respond in like 5 minutes. Send us pic's. Oh wait maybe it's my fault - did the bearing just fall out when I was looking. Probably/maybe and I fess up to it, by telling them this is probably my fault. Guess what - they say so what, we're sending a new cluster anyway you knucklehead. All of this took 30 minutes.

Great company!

Last edited:
My Priority Current's display spontaneously reset this morning. The mileage is now back to zero, and the password to turn on the bike has reset no password at all. Anybody else have this happen?
Priority sent a new display/controller and postage paid envelope for the display/controller that spontaneously reset to be returned. Good proactive customer service.

I purchased my Priority Current in August 22. I use it a few times a week for a 18mile (each way) commute to work. Today I discovered that 5 rear wheel spokes were broken (!!). The local shop told me they will have to rebuild the wheel. That is a lot of money! I asked Priority that they send me a new wheel (or they should cover the cost of rebuilding). I'm waiting for their answer. What are your thoughts, or similar experiences, on this issue?

I purchased my Priority Current in August 22. I use it a few times a week for a 18mile (each way) commute to work. Today I discovered that 5 rear wheel spokes were broken (!!). The local shop told me they will have to rebuild the wheel. That is a lot of money! I asked Priority that they send me a new wheel (or they should cover the cost of rebuilding). I'm waiting for their answer. What are your thoughts, or similar experiences, on this issue?
What was the outcome?

When a bunch of my rear wheel spokes had broken after a handful of rides, I was faced with the same issue. Priority acknowledges that their stock spokes are rubbish. So I bought some quality stainless ones of the correct length thru eBay, and spent a few days on YouTube learning (more about... I already knew the basics of) how to rebuild a wheel. Then I purchased a few little tools and accessories to help with that task and spent about two hours on the patio doing it. Yes, there are lots of important steps, and the truing and tensioning and seating phases require patience, but it's not rocket surgery! :)
Haven't busted a single spoke since. And I carefully check the spoke tension and inflate my tires before each ride.

Thanks for that info - in my case, they shipped with them really loose. I was getting wobbles and brought it back to the shop I had check my assembly over and they tensioned them up - so far so good. (They also noticed the headset was "tight" and the front tire needed to be reseated - much nicer. I'll keep new spokes in mind if this comes back around :).

It is only 9 lbs, but with Current Battery Range Extender battery attached (as oposed to left at home) to the rack, if I give the frame a shake from the seat post the rear wheel and frame oscillate when I shake the bike from the seat.

I am trying to figure out if this is something wrong with my frame before following up with Priority - anyone else seeing this with the range extender?

Last edited:
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Priority Bicycles as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Priority Bicycles as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
Priority current squeaky belt.
How do you stop/reduce the squeaking? It does it when I push on the pedals, but not if I'm pedaling lightly.

Priority current squeaky belt.
How do you stop/reduce the squeaking? It does it when I push on the pedals, but not if I'm pedaling lightly.
If it's the belt, a number of ways:
1. The belt is either too tight or too loose. If too loose you'll usually get skipping when you put pressure down. Too tight it will give a ticking sound.
2. Use either the Gates app or the Krikit 91107 belt tension gauge to check tension. Priority will have the suggested settings.
3. You may also want to use CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray on the belt.
4. I have 4 belt drive single speeds - 2 ebikes and 2 non-e bikes. Have not had a squeaking sound. So...is it actually the belt?
5. Ask Priority for assistance - they are really responsive.

I recently had a problem with a sudden breakage of several spokes on my way home from work. I use my Current for commuting.

I recently got around to starting to work on it. What I found was that not only were there several broken spokes, but the axle on the NuVinci hub was also broken. I decided that this was a good time to switch to a Shimano Nexus C6000 series. However, to say I was surprised at the construction of the hub is an understatement.

I am the guy who rode his solar e-trike from Kansas to Utah. I had a NuVinci hub on that trike. I had never even considered the axle design as a concern. Seeing how the axle is constructed would make me hesitant to use a NuVinci on a similar trip.

Here you can see the broken off axle inside of the hub:
20231116-195342.jpg

Here you can see the broken-off axle:
20231116-195434.jpg

The small end of these axles is the part that goes into the hub.

I did send a message to Priority, but they never contacted me about it.

Yikes! Seems like that means it’s an issue for all enviolo hubs? Atleast this model…

Priority customer service is known for being responsive and super helpful, so I'm surprised you got no resolution from them. I'd strongly urge you to reach out to them on their Facebook page to see what happens.

I recently had a problem with a sudden breakage of several spokes on my way home from work. I use my Current for commuting.

I recently got around to starting to work on it. What I found was that not only were there several broken spokes, but the axle on the NuVinci hub was also broken. I decided that this was a good time to switch to a Shimano Nexus C6000 series. However, to say I was surprised at the construction of the hub is an understatement.

I am the guy who rode his solar e-trike from Kansas to Utah. I had a NuVinci hub on that trike. I had never even considered the axle design as a concern. Seeing how the axle is constructed would make me hesitant to use a NuVinci on a similar trip.

Here you can see the broken off axle inside of the hub:
20231116-195342.jpg

Here you can see the broken-off axle:
20231116-195434.jpg

The small end of these axles is the part that goes into the hub.

I did send a message to Priority, but they never contacted me about it.
Which model hub is on your bike?
My Current purchased in fall 2020 has the Sport model. I now have ~ 5300 miles on mine. No hub issues other than needing to change the shifter cable. I would try Priority again. In my experience, it's not like them to ignore a customer.

Back