Known Issues & Problems with Priority Bicycles Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Priority Bicycles as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

My first issue is that I bought a folding lock and bottle holder from Priority at the time I bought my Current ebike. The lock seems to be meant to fit on the seat post bar, since a water bottle could never fit there. But the space below the crossbar is so limited that I can't figure out how to get the folding lock into the holder. As you can see, I swapped the two holders but now a normal sized water bottle won't fit either. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CurrentLockWaterMounts_20220531_111510.jpg
    CurrentLockWaterMounts_20220531_111510.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 287
I'm also looking for a more elegant solution for this. In the meantime, I'm using a Lezyne side load bottle cage with a used gatorade bottle (12oz?)

Attachments

• PXL_20220601_205214262.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220601_205214262.MP.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 228
I'm also looking for a more elegant solution for this. In the meantime, I'm using a Lezyne side load bottle cage with a used gatorade bottle (12oz?)
I found a long piece of velcro with a kind of buckle I had for a reason I can't remember. I used that to secure a regular bottle of water for now.

Hi, here is a solution that I've been happy with.

I made a bottle cage boss on the seat tube use two of these silver colored DMR Hinged Clamps ordered from here: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/dmr-hinged-clamp/rp-prod745

The bottle cage I have is made from hollow aluminum tube construction to keep weight low. You can find them here: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections...roducts/1-bc-pole-v117?variant=19837330030678

Below is a picture of the seat tube area of my bike showing where and how the DMR Hinged Clamps are mounted and the finished look. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Seat-Tube-Bottle-Cage-Boss-Using-DMR-Hinged-Clamps.JPG
    Seat-Tube-Bottle-Cage-Boss-Using-DMR-Hinged-Clamps.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 230
Hi, here is a solution that I've been happy with.

I made a bottle cage boss on the seat tube use two of these silver colored DMR Hinged Clamps ordered from here: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/dmr-hinged-clamp/rp-prod745

The bottle cage I have is made from hollow aluminum tube construction to keep weight low. You can find them here: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections...roducts/1-bc-pole-v117?variant=19837330030678

Below is a picture of the seat tube area of my bike showing where and how the DMR Hinged Clamps are mounted and the finished look. Hope this helps!
Interesting. What size of clamp did you buy? Are you afraid of scratching the paint?

Interesting. What size of clamp did you buy? Are you afraid of scratching the paint?
34.9mm is the size you need.

The DMR Hinged Clamps have plastic like coating that don't appear to scratch the paint. The first time I was installing them I had to fiddle with getting the orientation and spacing between the two clamps dialed-in, so I had to install and uninstall them couple of times and I saw no scratches. I use my bike almost every day since completing the install and have had these on my bike now for almost a year without any issues. I actually prefer this mount location for my water bottle over anywhere else on the bike.

Your solution made me think about something I got from Priority that came with my Seaty Lock. Boy, my dim bulb is getting dimmer. This plastic clamp could work.

Attachments

• SeatyLock_AlternateMount_20220605_125456.jpg
    SeatyLock_AlternateMount_20220605_125456.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 200
Your solution made me think about something I got from Priority that came with my Seaty Lock. Boy, my dim bulb is getting dimmer. This plastic clamp could work.
I agree, those clamps you got with your Seaty Lock should work. I like the clean and elegant look of the DMR Hinged Clamps.

I also see you have a folding bike lock on the downtube. The downtube is also where I mount my bike lock. My lock is the TIGr bike lock, which might seem like it wouldn't fit on the downtube, but there is a way to make it work there also.

I agree, those clamps you got with your Seaty Lock should work. I like the clean and elegant look of the DMR Hinged Clamps.

I also see you have a folding bike lock on the downtube. The downtube is also where I mount my bike lock. My lock is the TIGr bike lock, which might seem like it wouldn't fit on the downtube, but there is a way to make it work there also.
The clamps do look nice. I wish they came in black. Shipping those from Germany must have cost as much as the clamps. I was wondering if your find your legs hitting the bottle below your seat?

The clamps do look nice. I wish they came in black. Shipping those from Germany must have cost as much as the clamps. I was wondering if your find your legs hitting the bottle below your seat?
I also wish them had them in black. The silver ones have grown on me. The clamps themselves are inexpensive. They ship from the UK. With shipping to FL, USA, I paid a total of $23.43 for the two. This was about a year ago.

Also, my legs does not hit the bottle below my seat becasuse the bottle bottle cage is narrow, below and towards the front of the seat.

Here is a another picture showing the bottle cage relative to my saddle.

Attachments

• Seat-Tube-Bottle-Cage-Boss-Using-DMR-Hinged-Clamps2.JPG
    Seat-Tube-Bottle-Cage-Boss-Using-DMR-Hinged-Clamps2.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
I have the large Abus folding lock. If you put the lock holder all the way to the bottom, you can just get the lock into the holder by starting with the bottom of the lock at an angle. It just clears my bottle cage.

I originally had the lock mounted on the top tube, but moved it so I could add a top tube zippered bag. I found a very nice one (waterproof?) on Amazon. The brand is Whale Fall.

I also carry a second bottle behind the seat. I got a two-pack of these clamp on holders from Amazon for little money. After several rides, it seems to be holding up OK. I do have the holder resting on the frame, for support.

Attachments

• Lock & bottle.jpg
    Lock & bottle.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Clamp type.jpg
    Clamp type.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 231
The lock holder that I have doesn't seem to allow for any alternate approaches to the holder. The clamp on holder looks promising. What brand is that?

I have the large Abus folding lock. If you put the lock holder all the way to the bottom, you can just get the lock into the holder by starting with the bottom of the lock at an angle. It just clears my bottle cage.

I originally had the lock mounted on the top tube, but moved it so I could add a top tube zippered bag. I found a very nice one (waterproof?) on Amazon. The brand is Whale Fall.

I also carry a second bottle behind the seat. I got a two-pack of these clamp on holders from Amazon for little money. After several rides, it seems to be holding up OK. I do have the holder resting on the frame, for support.

By large Abus folding lock, do you mean the Bordo Granit XPlus 6500 model?

My top tube bag is the BiKase "Long John Frame Bag". It's longer than other bags, but fits well. I also have a separate phone mount on the handlebar, so I didn't need a bag that doubles as a phone bag.

My first issue is that I bought a folding lock and bottle holder from Priority at the time I bought my Current ebike. The lock seems to be meant to fit on the seat post bar, since a water bottle could never fit there. But the space below the crossbar is so limited that I can't figure out how to get the folding lock into the holder. As you can see, I swapped the two holders but now a normal sized water bottle won't fit either. Any ideas?
Just in case anyone else is in the market for a folding lock that fits the (Large-size) Current's seat tube well, I got an Abus Bordo Combo 6100/90 from eBay that sits snugly and securely in that spot. Leaves my water bottle cage and drink bottle plenty of room in the down tube bracket.

I'd also aver that one COULD shoe-horn such a (smaller) folding lock between the seat tube and the rear fender, or even underneath a rear rack if you get creative with your mount and spacing (I have not measured for this option, so am just speculating).

Last edited:
PEDAL STRIKES

Due to the rather low road-to-pedal clearance on the Current (perhaps on step-thru bikes in general?), which is easily 1/2" less than my other bikes, I'm having to fine tune my pedal and/or spacer selection to avoid striking pavement in tight turns.

Though I normally take pains to keep my inside foot at the top of the pedal stroke while leaning into a turn, twice now I've inadvertently botched that and had the outboard edge of my Diamondback Bigfoot Pedal loudly strike the road surface, startling me with a sharp noise and unexpected hiccup. Not safe!

I plan to remove the 21mm pedal spacers I had inserted between my pedal and cranks, on the theory that they aren't really needed with the Current. Unlike my Trek hybrid bikes, the bottom bracket + larger pedals combo seems sufficiently wide for my stance without the need for building it out further. I've yet to measure this to test my theory, but it's what my eye tells me.

Pedal strikes are scary and potentially dangerous. I'll stick with spacers on my "tall bikes" only, not the Current.

PEDAL STRIKES

Due to the rather low road-to-pedal clearance on the Current (perhaps on step-thru bikes in general?), which is easily 1/2" less than my other bikes, I'm having to fine tune my pedal and/or spacer selection to avoid striking pavement in tight turns.

Though I normally take pains to keep my inside foot at the top of the pedal stroke while leaning into a turn, twice now I've inadvertently botched that and had the outboard edge of my Diamondback Bigfoot Pedal loudly strike the road surface, startling me with a sharp noise and unexpected hiccup. Not safe!

I plan to remove the 21mm pedal spacers I had inserted between my pedal and cranks, on the theory that they aren't really needed with the Current. Unlike my Trek hybrid bikes, the bottom bracket + larger pedals combo seems sufficiently wide for my stance without the need for building it out further. I've yet to measure this to test my theory, but it's what my eye tells me.

Pedal strikes are scary and potentially dangerous. I'll stick with spacers on my "tall bikes" only, not the Current.
I'm still using the pedals the bike came with. So far, no issues with pedal strike. Like you I do think about and try to avoid pedal strikes during turns.

Something I am running into that may be solved. I am a big rider and I haul my eight year old in a trailer. When doing this, I seem to be experiencing belt skipping. IT only happens when pedal assist is low/off and I am in a very easy gear on at least a small incline. Total rider and trailer weight is over 350lbs. I have not experienced the problem since increasing belt tension. I am going to back it off a bit as I am technically above spec now.

I am curious if anyone else has belt tension stories. And if they were able to run it longer term with a higher tension without issue?

Back