Known Issues & Problems with Magnum Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hello all,

I have 1 year Magnum peak 48V 27.5 , week ago it started to have problems , motor stop work during cycle etc..
but currently I have a problem that motor goes well with hand throttle but not going with pedals , more than that , I cant see the speed read on the LCD , always zero , with throttle and will normal pedal , always zero .
I tried :
1. several changes in the LCD configuration (DAS-KIT C7) , size of wheel , power, everything - no change.
2. tried to check and reconnect all connectors from controller/LCD , include break sensors , everything , all ok- doesn't help
3. I even replaced the PAS on the peddle to another original one - doesn't help

much appreciate some help and suggestion

So you tried to replace the PAS it was the exact same as your old one? Have you had the controller inspected?
Also when you use the hand throttle do you hear any odd noises? Try changing the pas value and throttle value to 0mph / 0kph as that unlocks the bike and its capable of hitting its full powet but also is a good diagnostics tool for the controller.

Hi, new PAS same as the old one , no change. for the noise, \i do have small noise when going with throtle but i dont think it is serius and it just on the start .for the controller i didnt have it inspected . i will try now as suggested to change throttle to 0 KM and PAS level to 0 and see if change anything.
*** I just test as you sugetsed , with throttle it goes now full power ! no noise at all , but nothing with Pedal (PAS) also speed shows 0 always on LCD.
any oter sugestions ? what area should I look ?

Last edited:
So you tried to replace the PAS it was the exact same as your old one? Have you had the controller inspected?
Also when you use the hand throttle do you hear any odd noises? Try changing the pas value and throttle value to 0mph / 0kph as that unlocks the bike and its capable of hitting its full powet but also is a good diagnostics tool for the controller.
Hello again and thanks for answering me , I managed to get new controller , replace it and the PAS working and I can go with my bike, I just left with one more issue , the speedometer and Odometer doesn't work and only show zero .... any idea?

they dont work at all? you may have to adjust the tire sizes in your settings menu and as for the odometer it may go back to 0 as you have replaced the brain of the bike. have you ridden it a lot since fixing it?

they dont work at all? you may have to adjust the tire sizes in your settings menu and as for the odometer it may go back to 0 as you have replaced the brain of the bike. have you ridden it a lot since fixing it?
Thanks for the answer , the speedometer and odometer doesnt work at all and it is not a matter of configuration, anyway I already took them to service and problem found on motor speed sensor, replaced and problem fixed
thanks

I am thinking of purchasing a Magnum but there are no local Magnum dealers. Can the problems discussed in this forum be diagnosed/repaired by any LBS or just a Magnum dealer since they appear Magnum specific...controller, motor, display, etc.

Neither the controller, motor, or display are Magnum specific. Any shop that works on ebikes should be able to repair a Magnum. Of course a Magnum dealer will tell you otherwise. I have six ebikes and no dealer in my small town for any of them and I've had no issues keeping any of them running

Hi all,

My cousin and I bought two Magnum Premium 48s a few weeks ago. One of the primary reasons for our purchase was for the power of a 500 W motor on a foldable bike.

However after a bit of riding, we didn't notice a big difference between ebikes with a 250 W motor and the Premium. And then we noticed something strange: the label on the motor indicated a 350 W motor, on BOTH our bikes.

We contacted Mangnum and they said it was a mislabeled batch from the factory.

But how can we be sure that we do indeed have 500 W motors and not 350 W? Is there a way of verifying?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Hi all,

My cousin and I bought two Magnum Premium 48s a few weeks ago. One of the primary reasons for our purchase was for the power of a 500 W motor on a foldable bike.

However after a bit of riding, we didn't notice a big difference between ebikes with a 250 W motor and the Premium. And then we noticed something strange: the label on the motor indicated a 350 W motor, on BOTH our bikes.

We contacted Mangnum and they said it was a mislabeled batch from the factory.

But how can we be sure that we do indeed have 500 W motors and not 350 W? Is there a way of verifying?
I had a similar issue with my Premium 48 a while back, except mine was labelled 250 watts. They told me mine was mislabeled as well. I ended up returning mine, and it was a hassle getting my money back. Eventually, Amazon had to intercede on my behalf.

I'd suggest making sure the wheel size is correctly set on the display, and compare the display's speed readings to Strava while you're out riding. In my case, the climbing power and top speed of the bike indicated that I had a lower power bike than advertised.

I had a similar issue with my Premium 48 a while back, except mine was labelled 250 watts. They told me mine was mislabeled as well. I ended up returning mine, and it was a hassle getting my money back. Eventually, Amazon had to intercede on my behalf.

I'd suggest making sure the wheel size is correctly set on the display, and compare the display's speed readings to Strava while you're out riding. In my case, the climbing power and top speed of the bike indicated that I had a lower power bike than advertised.

Thanks Michael for that, that's really helpful. I will measure top speed as you suggested.

For climbing power, do you know what grade should I climb and how fast should I expect to climb if the motor is indeed 500 W?

Thanks Michael for that, that's really helpful. I will measure top speed as you suggested.

For climbing power, do you know what grade should I climb and how fast should I expect to climb if the motor is indeed 500 W?
I couldn't give you an exact number. There are a lot of factors that go into measuring a bike's performance and power. But, if you have another bike to use as a comparison, you should be able to draw your own conclusions. In my case, I had another 36V, 350w, 20" wheel bike to compare it with. The other bike outperformed my Magnum in every way, with the exception of top speed. The Magnum was 1.5MPH faster, but it took forever to reach that speed, with considerable effort on my part. FYI, I'm a fairly strong road bike rider as well (I managed to win a KOM on a 10% climb before).

hello dear forum, I am searching for some advice.I have Magnum Peak 48V for more than a year , lately I have a new issue strange one . after several minutes of cycling I see in display that voltage going down and down to 30V and of course at that time motor stop to give power at all. I turn off the system wait some time, turn on and voltage going back up ...to normal voltage (48-50V) and all back to normal . a day after issue come again , the same . any idea what I need to check ? what can be fault? LCD?controller?
Thanks
Oren

Hi all, I have a Magnum metro+ that has been constantly breaking rear hub spokes. Im 170 pounds so its not an overweight or loading issue. Has anyone else had issues with rear spokes with this model?

Following this because I have a metro. I haven't seen this problem and have had the bike for about 9 months.

Having an issue with the peak breaking spokes,well it did one last week, and was fixed, but another this morning, on the rear, 27.5. While the man in the shop is happy to fix, its more the time that puts me out, as i don't live locally to the shop, wondered if anyone else having had similar issues had any tips for prevention, its only started recently, no change in habits, or my commute route. Two colleagues at work have the same bike too, one has had a couple break, and the other nothing, all similar age and miles traveled.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and also the world of ebikes. I bought a Magnum metro when gas prices in New Zealand soared last year and I ride it everywhere. I have two questions. (1) sometimes the chain falls off when I ride over sharp bumps. Not always, but often enough to be annoying and almost always when I'm coasting. My bike dealer doesn't seem to be too concerned because he 'can't replicate the problem." Duh! It's intermittent!! Is this normal? And (2) the same bike guy recommends service every 1000 km. I put on about 500 km a month and ride on paved bike paths and the road only; no trails. Must I resign myself to getting the bike serviced every other month? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and also the world of ebikes. I bought a Magnum metro when gas prices in New Zealand soared last year and I ride it everywhere. I have two questions. (1) sometimes the chain falls off when I ride over sharp bumps. Not always, but often enough to be annoying and almost always when I'm coasting. My bike dealer doesn't seem to be too concerned because he 'can't replicate the problem." Duh! It's intermittent!! Is this normal? And (2) the same bike guy recommends service every 1000 km. I put on about 500 km a month and ride on paved bike paths and the road only; no trails. Must I resign myself to getting the bike serviced every other month? Thanks!

If the chain is popping off on the inside (towards the seat tube), there's an easy fix. Just rig up a hose clamp or something similar (from you local hardware store), clamped onto the seat tube, that will ride close to top of the chain ring...that will keep the chain on. My wife also has a Metro and she had the same issue, which we solved in this manner.
Regarding servicing the bike that often...it should not be necessary at all. As long as you keep the chain clean and lubricated (I use White Lightening products), it should be fine. It would probably be worth getting someone who is bike-savvy to look it over a couple of times a year to check brake pad wear/etc.

hello dear forum, I am searching for some advice.I have Magnum Peak 48V for more than a year , lately I have a new issue strange one . after several minutes of cycling I see in display that voltage going down and down to 30V and of course at that time motor stop to give power at all. I turn off the system wait some time, turn on and voltage going back up ...to normal voltage (48-50V) and all back to normal . a day after issue come again , the same . any idea what I need to check ? what can be fault? LCD?controller?
Thanks
Oren

I am having this problem. The Battery full then riding for a while and at about 48v would do the above. I have explained to dealer, they think it is to do with Battery, they are replacing and getting the battery tested.

If the chain is popping off on the inside (towards the seat tube), there's an easy fix. Just rig up a hose clamp or something similar (from you local hardware store), clamped onto the seat tube, that will ride close to top of the chain ring...that will keep the chain on. .

Not being mech inclined I'd love a pic of your fix for the wife's bike. Thx.

If the chain is popping off on the inside (towards the seat tube), there's an easy fix. Just rig up a hose clamp or something similar (from you local hardware store), clamped onto the seat tube, that will ride close to top of the chain ring...that will keep the chain on. My wife also has a Metro and she had the same issue, which we solved in this manner.
Regarding servicing the bike that often...it should not be necessary at all. As long as you keep the chain clean and lubricated (I use White Lightening products), it should be fine. It would probably be worth getting someone who is bike-savvy to look it over a couple of times a year to check brake pad wear/etc.
Thanks for that. We’ll give it a go

Not being mech inclined I'd love a pic of your fix for the wife's bike. Thx.
Here you go...

Rather than putting a hose clamp around the seat tube, I drilled a hole and inserted a jack nut (easy to do -- you can Youtube it) to provide a "bottle boss" type mounting point. I then attached a vinyl-coated cable clamp to it. Its color matches the bike so you can hardly see it, and since it's vinyl coated, you never hear the chain touch it (if it does). It works great.

BTW...it's also possible that taking a couple links out of the chain would tighten things up a little...again, Youtube has videos on this.

Attachments

• Metro clamp2.jpg
    Metro clamp2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 862
  • Metro clamp1.jpg
    Metro clamp1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 882
Back